rookie vs. veteran - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

rookie vs. veteran

Moderator: Football Moderators

rookie vs. veteran

Postby MayDay-Malone » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:18 pm

I am playing in a Yahoo single year league. The points system is standard; points/ yards carried, negative for int & fumbles. My team has two rb positions plus one bench player. I drafted, auto pick, Jamal Lewis and Reggie Bush plus I got the rookie Rashard Mendenhall. I am trying to decide if I should stick with the rookie to see what kind of numbers he puts up or get a veteran. Yahoo predicts him to have a decent year with 4.6 td and 698 total yards rushing.
MayDay-Malone
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: rookie vs. veteran

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:09 pm

Mendenhall isn't bad, depends on who's left on the waiver wire. He might start off slow and he will be sharing carries with Parker. You're only allowed a 1-man bench - yikes??? What are people supposed to do during bye weeks, drop their starters - or did ya mean you're only allowed 1 RB on your bench?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MayDay-Malone » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:42 pm

I meant only one running back/ bench. I'm still not completely convinced one way or the other. Thanks of replying.
MayDay-Malone
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 pm

What RB's are available for grabbing on the WW?
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MayDay-Malone » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:16 pm

Julius Jones (Sea), Chester Taylor (Min), Justin Fargas (Oak). Chester Taylor's 2007 stats are decent ( 7 TDs, 200 + receiving yds, 800 + rushing yds ). I'm in a friendly league with all of my competitors, wife included, "work" an in easy environment with lots of free time. My job is the complete opposite. I want someone to put up good numbers, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on a "rookie sensation". Big maybe perhaps.

Please tell me if I'm making a big deal out of nothing. It's nice to have some bragging rights.
MayDay-Malone
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:44 pm

Lol, nah it's always fun to stomp the competition into the ground and win your league! :-D

Hard to predict what Jones will do in Seattle, predictions are all over the board for him. I don't like Fargas' situation this year. Taylor had a couple games where he filled in for AD last year, plus they shared the load too - don't think his numbers will be quite as good this year as they were last year unless AD gets injured. Sounds like Mendy is prob your best bet, unless maybe rookie Jonathan Stewart is available - he's in a better position for an immediate impact.
stomperrob

Postby MayDay-Malone » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:03 pm

Unfortunately Jonathan Stewart is unavailable at this moment.

My other two rbs are Jamal Lewis and Reggie Bush so I'm not too worried. I just want someone with good numbers to put in during those bye weeks.

What do you think of this team? This is my keeper league with 2 rb starters.

Clinton Portis
Earnest Graham
Laurence Maroney
Kenny Watson

Both Portis and Graham have a week 10 bye.
MayDay-Malone
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby francis03 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:57 pm

I would stick with to rookie for now...Parker gets alot of yards but I think the rookie will be getting alot of goaline carries.
francis03
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:02 am

MayDay-Malone wrote:Unfortunately Jonathan Stewart is unavailable at this moment.

My other two rbs are Jamal Lewis and Reggie Bush so I'm not too worried. I just want someone with good numbers to put in during those bye weeks.

What do you think of this team? This is my keeper league with 2 rb starters.

Clinton Portis
Earnest Graham
Laurence Maroney
Kenny Watson

Both Portis and Graham have a week 10 bye.

Stick with Mendenhall then - just be patient with him though in case he starts slow, they may not fully utilize him at first.

Portis is an excellent pick this year. Graham is a solid choice - Dunn won't steal too much work from him and Caddy is out for at least the first six weeks of the season prob longer. Maroney is an inigma, especially now with the signing of LaMont Jordan and Sammy Morris healthy again - Maroney did come on strong at the end of the season so hopefully his output improves this year. Rudi Johnson could be on his way outta Cincy or may not even be 100% - at this point Chris Perry appears next in line but he's a little injury prone, so Watson may see some work.

As far as 2 of your RB's having the week 10 bye, at least ya have Maroney, so ya may have to dump someone from your team for another RB - maybe grab someone now off waivers depending on who's available - hopefully you aren't carrying 2 Kickers or 2 Def's or even 2 TE's in most cases unless you are required to, if so, dump one of them. You have a lot of time until week 10, so ya may end up grabbing someone by then anyway if ya don't now - just keep an eye on the waivers every week and see if anyone's suddenly gotten hot and grab him asap.
stomperrob

Return to Beginner's Forum