This Week's Best College Football Games and NFL Prospects - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

This Week's Best College Football Games and NFL Prospects

Moderator: Football Moderators

This Week's Best College Football Games and NFL Prospects

Postby The Lung » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:04 pm

From a Rivals.com article, with additional NFL prospect research from footballsfuture.com.

After months of anticipation, the season finally is here.
Here are the top games to watch for Week One:

All times Eastern.

• UTAH AT MICHIGAN
    When: Saturday, 3:30 p.m.
    TV: ABC regional or ESPN2 (depending on your location)
    Line: Michigan by 3½
    Why you should watch: Rich Rodriguez's first game at Michigan is no gimme. If Appalachian State could beat Michigan in the Big House last season, Utah can do it this season. All eyes will be on the Wolverines and how their yet-to-be-named starting quarterback runs the Rodriguez spread option. As for NFL Prospects, Michigan DT Terrence Taylor is the perfect NT for a 3-4 defense, and could be a second round pick in the NFL Draft next year.

• NO. 24 ALABAMA VS. NO. 9 CLEMSON IN ATLANTA
    When: Saturday, 8 p.m.
    TV: ABC or ESPN GamePlan
    Line: Clemson by 5
    Why you should watch: This feels a bit like a bowl game, doesn't it? Two powerhouses from power conferences meet at a neutral site. Make no mistake, though, this game will set the tone for two fan bases with high expectations for 2008. Tommy Bowden and Clemson are out to prove the Tigers are ready to win their first ACC title since 1991 and contend for national attention. If Clemson junior RB CJ Spiller declares, he's a likely first round pick, and Clemson QB Cullen Harper and DE/DT Dorell Scott are likely second rounders. On the Alabama side, watch OT Andre Smith who will compete with man mountain Michael Oher from Ole Miss as the best offensive lineman in the draft.

• NO. 20 ILLINOIS VS. NO. 6 MISSOURI IN ST. LOUIS
    When: Saturday, 8:30 p.m.
    TV: ESPN
    Line: Missouri by 9
    Why you should watch: This border showdown pits one team that should have gone to a BCS game last season (Mizzou) against a team that probably should have been left out (Illinois). Between Jeremy Maclin, Chase Daniel, Chase Coffman, Juice Williams and Arrelious Benn, no first-week game will have a better collection of offensive playmakers on the field. This game flew under the radar last season (Missouri won 40-34), but it's clear this year's version carries BCS implications. For the Illini, CB Vontae Davis is a likely first round pick who is talented enough to play safety if need be. For Mizzou, watch WR Jeremy Maclin who could be a first rounder and OLB Sean Weatherspoon and S William Moore who should go in the second.

• WASHINGTON AT NO. 21 OREGON
    When: Saturday, 10 p.m.
    TV: Fox Sports Net
    Line: Oregon by 14
    Why you should watch: Of the five conference games nationally this weekend, this is by far the most interesting. It's an underrated rivalry game and an opportunity to see the mettle of both teams. Justin Roper led Oregon to its only post-Dennis Dixon win in the Sun Bowl, but he didn't win the starting job until Monday - when it was announced the Ducks lost Nate Costa for eight to 10 weeks with a knee injury. Washington quarterback Jake Locker has to deal with Oregon's playmaking secondary. He needs to prove he can win a game with his arm as well as his legs. There are no elite Huskie prospects, but Oregon OT Max Unger and S Patrick Chung are likely second rounders in next year's NFL Draft.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: This Week's Best College Football Games and NFL Prospects

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:47 pm

Macklin is nasty. They forgot about Davis on Clemson, who IMO is better than Spiller
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:40 am

The Lung wrote:...but Oregon OT Max Unger and S Patrick Chung are likely second rounders in next year's NFL Draft.

Patrick Chung huh? :-D ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:35 am

I don't know about you guys but I'm considerably more interested in Tennessee/UCLA than Utah/Michigan or Oregon/Washington.

And I 100% disagree with Cullen Harper being that kind of pro prospect. The guy has amazing talent around him with two guys who should run for 1000 yards and another receiver who IMO is the best in the conference. He also seems to struggle against stiff competition. He only had a QB rating below 100 in five games last year, four of those five were losses. Clemson seems to do best when Harper has around 25 passing attempts. That's not the kind of thing you typically say about an NFL QB prospect.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:42 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:I don't know about you guys but I'm considerably more interested in Tennessee/UCLA than Utah/Michigan or Oregon/Washington.

Since I'm going to the Oregon game...

:-D

GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Lung » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:32 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:I don't know about you guys but I'm considerably more interested in Tennessee/UCLA than Utah/Michigan or Oregon/Washington.

Well, the "Games to watch" poriton came from the Rivals.com article.

But my research reveals that there isn't a single player on either Tennessee or UCLA who is currently expected to be a first or second round NFL Draft prospect.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:57 pm

The Lung wrote:

But my research reveals that there isn't a single player on either Tennessee or UCLA who is currently expected to be a first or second round NFL Draft prospect.

Where do they think Foster is going to go? I would think late second, maybe early 3rd. :-? Anthony Parker is a top Guard and could do well. Also, eric Berry won't be out this draft because he is soph this year, but that guy is going to be one heck of a DB. ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:38 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
The Lung wrote:

Where do they think Foster is going to go? I would think late second, maybe early 3rd. :-? Anthony Parker is a top Guard and could do well. Also, eric Berry won't be out this draft because he is soph this year, but that guy is going to be one heck of a DB. ;-D

Eric Berry will be top 10 in 2010. He is versatile (has played CB and S) and is big (5'11.5"). He is also the best player on Tennessee as a sophomore.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Lung » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:10 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:Eric Berry will be top 10 in 2010. He is versatile (has played CB and S) and is big (5'11.5"). He is also the best player on Tennessee as a sophomore.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. These "NFL Prospects" are expected first and second round picks in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Next year only. Sorry for the confusion.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

Return to College Football