Gustav - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Gustav

Moderator: Football Moderators

Gustav

Postby SniperShot » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:18 pm

This storm is scaring the crap out of me. I like to follow weather and track storms, current projections are looking really bad. It's going to keep gaining strength and it's track is low enough that it's going to enter the gulf with a ton of momentum. Usually storms lose strength over islands and Cuba, this thing is directly over the northern part of Jamaica which is insane. Storms that are usually that far down are never good news.

Early indications show it plowing into the New Orleans area Tuesday morning as a major hurricane. All we can do is hope and pray it somehow loses strength or doesn't hit as strong as early reports are indicating. Definitely one to keep an eye on over the weekend. There's still plenty of time for this thing to change but past history doesn't bode well...
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Gustav

Postby Guru13 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:41 pm

you located near there?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:01 pm

Just have to wait and see how it develops, and if it starts looking bad, evacuate in advance. If it stays a low-end storm, ride it out. When I lived in Key Largo, I believe it was hurricane Floyd that was a category-1 storm that hit, and I was literally sitting out on the second-floor patio watching the storm pass over. When the eye came, we put the top down on the convertable and drove around shooting fireworks at the deserted trailer homes. As with anything, prepare for the worst, take advantage and enjoy the experience if it ends up not being that bad.

I hope the Gulf states (and anywhere else) don't get slammed. I read something about this the other day saying that the pumping stations in NO are restored but that the levies aren't quite back up to where they need to be. I'd hate to see them get submerged again.

Jamaica looks close on a map but there's plenty of room for that storm to move. Just keep an eye on it and pay attention for any developments that mean it's time to get the heck out. Hard to evacuate when the roads are all blocked by other people trying to get out at the last minute.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:12 pm

I see my local station is already gearing up for it - gas spiked 17 cents a gallon over the past 36 hours. :-t
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:27 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:you located near there?
No I'm not near there. A couple people I know are from the area.

Millions of people live in that general area though.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eagles21 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah, not looking good right now. Also, It's supposedly going to slow down right before hits the coast. It will take a day for it to actually make landfall after slowing down. Not a good thing. But, a lot of things can change from now until Monday or Tuesday when it will make landfall.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:58 pm

SniperShot wrote:

definitely, I didn't mean to come off as ignorant or not caring, it was just a question. :-?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SniperShot » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:44 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
SniperShot wrote:

definitely, I didn't mean to come off as ignorant or not caring, it was just a question. :-?
I didn't mean to sound as harsh in my post either. I guess I just read your first post as like "Why do you care if you don't live there."

It's all good.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mikus » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:57 pm

A lot of my family is down there, my wife's family lives in Baton Rouge and just about all of our friends live in southeast Louisiana. Looks like everyone has an evacuation plan at this point, which is good to hear. Hope everything goes well and the storm is not too destructive, ala Katrina.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:54 pm

I just heard the Saints are packing up and moving to Indy for the next week. Yikes :-o This storm sounds pretty bad.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk