Gustav - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Gustav

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Gustav

Postby SniperShot » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:27 am

Yeah new satellite images look very, very scary. Hanna is starting to become a major threat too. Could get on a Katrina like path. Looks like it could brush key west and enter the gulf as well if it follows its projected track.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:14 pm

Now Cat 4. At least people are already evacuating. This is going to be bad I feel.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:24 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Now Cat 4. At least people are already evacuating. This is going to be bad I feel.

Category four... that's nothing to screw around with. Those folks who are able to and are evacuating are doing the best possible thing. I sure hope those people who don't have the means to evacuate are getting help, too. Anyone who stands pat in the face of a cat-4 has either never been through one or has a superman complex. That's scary, nasty stuff. A tornado and a flood served up as one. And it just goes on and on.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:37 pm

yea and if it makes the westly turn they are saying it might, I'm screwed. less than 5 miles from the coast and 17 feet above sea level. Directly across the bay from Galveston. A direct hit here on the dirty side, my house is probably gone. If that happens thank god I got flood insurance. They are talking about a 20 ft storm surge on the dirty side.

Without the rain and the increase of tide level due to the stornm my house is 3 feet under water.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:15 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:yea and if it makes the westly turn they are saying it might, I'm screwed. less than 5 miles from the coast and 17 feet above sea level. Directly across the bay from Galveston. A direct hit here on the dirty side, my house is probably gone. If that happens thank god I got flood insurance. They are talking about a 20 ft storm surge on the dirty side.

Without the rain and the increase of tide level due to the stornm my house is 3 feet under water.

You've got a 4+ mile buffer, and 17 feet above, so I wouldn't be worried about any direct ocean flooding. Storm surge doesn't travel that far inland, unless your inland is below sea level, like New Orleans. The wind/rain are your concern. *IF* it becomes a worst-case, yes your house could be severely damaged or destroyed by the winds, however I'd hope a semi-coastal home is built somewhat with that in mind. Board up your windows and doors if it looks like it might come to you. Stanchion any point where the wind could pry an entry. If the storm looks to hit you, board it up like a demilitarized zone and go spend a few nights with Joel in Amarillo, ride it out, and call your insurance agent.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Tyeattolah » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:58 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:yea and if it makes the westly turn they are saying it might, I'm screwed. less than 5 miles from the coast and 17 feet above sea level. Directly across the bay from Galveston. A direct hit here on the dirty side, my house is probably gone. If that happens thank god I got flood insurance. They are talking about a 20 ft storm surge on the dirty side.

Best of luck HHF...will be thinkin about you...you are not going to weather it out are you?
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Coming from someone who does property insurance defense -- Take pictures of everything you can in your house. Also, locate as many documents as you can to prove you own the items in your house/they exist and keep them in a safe place. The insurance company will ask you for that if you have to file a claim.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:15 pm

Our pastor's mom is flying in from Pearland (halfway between Houston and Galveston). She got stuck the last time and had a 12+ hour drive from Houston to San Antonio just to get out of there.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Sup:

8-o
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby mikus » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:56 pm

Some of my family stayed in Slidell, La., which is on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain about 20 miles or so north of New Orleans. :-o

I told my sister to take some pictures when things start getting interesting tomorrow morning, and if she can send them to me I might be able to upload a few. Will keep you guys posted.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk