Mike Utley update

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:25 am

Interesting piece:

Last updated August 28, 2008 9:19 p.m. PT
Where Are They Now: Mike Utley
Sense of adventure, sense of humor survived crippling injury
By DAN RALEY
P-I REPORTER

Mike Utley went deaf in his right ear while having dinner in January. He was robbed of equilibrium and made so sick he had to seek a doctor the next day. He traded partial hearing for a nonstop fire alarm that still reverberates in his head.

This was nothing more than piling on for the former Washington State and Detroit Lions football player, left a quadriplegic nearly 17 years ago when the offensive guard suffered a spinal cord injury while slammed to the ground on a pass-blocking play.

The latest setback was another reason for Utley to feel sorry for himself, though that never happened.

"I don't take any prisoners," he said. "I don't put up with any crying or snibbling. I don't have time for it."

For the past decade, Utley, 42, has lived in Orondo, an out-of-the-way community that borders the Columbia River, sharing his three-bedroom waterfront home with his wife of six years, Dani. He remains resolute and hilarious, everything except hopeless.

His days are spent working out at his residence or at Gold's Gym in nearby East Wenatchee, taking part in some unlikely new adventure such as fighter-plane combat re-enactment, and running his home-based Mike Utley Foundation that is dedicated to finding a cure for spinal cord injuries.

On Sept. 27, Utley again will host his annual fund-raiser, the DAM2DAM Thumbs Up! Bike Tour, gathering riders together at Lincoln Rock State Park on Highway 97, beginning at 7 a.m. (register online at http://www.mikeutley.org). He asks people for a minimum $250 donation yet turns no one away. He always has a surprise for this group, such as a past guest appearance by former Tour de France winner Greg LeMond.

"Mike Utley doesn't wait for a cure; Mike Utley lives for one," he said, referring to himself in the third person. "I will do what I have to do."

con't...

rest of article: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/ ... ere29.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Mike Utley update

Postby dream_017 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:08 pm

I think this smiley is best:
;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Re: Mike Utley update

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:27 pm

Good to hear that he's doing well. I'll always remember that day, even though I was only 11. ;-D
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Detroit Lions