52%

Total votes : 29

Football in L.A.

Postby spodog » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Which of these will occur first?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Football in L.A.

Postby BigBadBrawler » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:57 pm

Well #2 and #3 aren't happening, so I voted #1. The NFL makes too much money from these bogus pre-season games to cut back on them, and the NFL has already come out and said they don't plan on expanding the league for the Los Angeles market.

I live in L.A. and the newest news out here is that the Stadium project has passed all their permit processes so far and is now waiting for a December Environmental impact report to clear. They also talked to the NFL and the NFL asked them to include enough facilities to accomodate 2 seperate NFL Teams at the new Stadium. This means two seperate Training Facilities, two seperate Coaching Staff Offices, etc. It looks like the NFL's overall plan is to eventually house 2 Teams in the L.A. market. The Project Leaders actually had to cut the square footage of the shops/businesses they were planning on building around the Stadium to accomodate this. The plan is that the first Team in L.A. will be owned by the guy financing the Stadium Project, the second will be decided at a later date. Also, the Rosebowl has been contracted to house the NFL Team that comes over until the Stadium Project is concluded. They took this step because they plan on having a Team signed this next off-season, and that NFL Team will either play one more lame-duck season in their old home (which isn't likely because fans probably won't support a team they know is leaving) or they'll relocate early and play in the Rosebowl.

The Teams that were mentioned as the most likely candidates for relocation: Jacksonville, Buffalo, San Diego, New Orleans, San Franciso, Oakland, St. Louis.

That's all I got recently... ;-D
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby mystykoekaki » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:58 pm

if an expansion happens, wouldn't there have to be two total teams added? ... for the sake of being even? ...if so, where would the other team be at? ...dun dun duh
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby treat24 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:24 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:if an expansion happens, wouldn't there have to be two total teams added? ... for the sake of being even? ...if so, where would the other team be at? ...dun dun duh

It has happened before where there has been an uneven amount of teams, but that was a short term thing. A long term solution would be 2 more teams or a team moving. Knowing the NFL... They would want to expand into Canada. They want this sport more global. I can see a Canadian team and LA...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:24 pm

Current NFL team relocates
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:02 am

I would love to see a slow-term addition of a total of 8 teams to the NFL is that we retain 4-team divisons and the conferences are equal.

I wouldn't mind seeing: 2 LA, 2+ Canadian, 1 Mexico City, 1 Hawaii or Alaska?, Idunno where else which is why this is a stretch to even begin with.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:24 am

LA is cursed for football.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:38 am

treat24 wrote:
mystykoekaki wrote:if an expansion happens, wouldn't there have to be two total teams added? ... for the sake of being even? ...if so, where would the other team be at? ...dun dun duh

It has happened before where there has been an uneven amount of teams, but that was a short term thing. A long term solution would be 2 more teams or a team moving. Knowing the NFL... They would want to expand into Canada. They want this sport more global. I can see a Canadian team and LA...

I have to agree. I think that if they expand into LA they will try the Canadian market. The real question though it if they decide to expand into Canada will they expand into LA, another Canadian team or elsewhere?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigBadBrawler » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:52 am

They'll probably just end up moving Buffalo to Canada and moving another Team here...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby spodog » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:46 am

BigBadBrawler wrote:Well #2 and #3 aren't happening, so I voted #1. The NFL makes too much money from these bogus pre-season games to cut back on them,

I wouldn't bet on the preseason being shortened as never happening. Patriots owner Robert Craft admitted that moving to an 18 game schedule, and killing 2 preseason games is being considered as part of the ongoing labor discussions with the NFLPA.

see:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nflinsider/2008/08/more_about_the_plan_to_shorten.html

Commish Goodell has also talked about it publicly:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3405076
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk