The NFL expands, with a new team in Los Angeles
17%
The NFL shortens the preseason to a 3 game schedule
52%

Total votes : 29

Re: Football in L.A.

Postby BigBadBrawler » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:57 pm

spodog wrote:
BigBadBrawler wrote:Well #2 and #3 aren't happening, so I voted #1. The NFL makes too much money from these bogus pre-season games to cut back on them,

I wouldn't bet on the preseason being shortened as never happening. Patriots owner Robert Craft admitted that moving to an 18 game schedule, and killing 2 preseason games is being considered as part of the ongoing labor discussions with the NFLPA.

see:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nflinsider/2008/08/more_about_the_plan_to_shorten.html

Commish Goodell has also talked about it publicly:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3405076

I stand corrected. I meant the NFL wouldn't just give up those games and the revenue they bring in. Turning pre-season games into regular season games would actually make more money, so I could definately see that happening. Different interpretation of the question, but you are correct sir... ;-D
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby WeekSixteen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:56 pm

I think if 2 teams were added you might see typical ff league sizes go from 12 to 14. More players means less scarcity but more market for good players. It would change the game of fantasy football a bit imo.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby dgan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Ugh. I hate every possibility discussed in this thread. First, can we go just ONE season without the 'NFL to LA' topic coming up? The NFL and LA do just fine this way. LA just has a way of causing things to become unstable. Every time they get involved, franchises start moving all crazy like.

Second, 18 regular season games? AHHH! NO! Rewriting all the season stats was bad enough going from 14 - 16 game seasons, but at least that was before the stat-happy age we live in now. 2,000 yd rushers become common? 5,000 passing yard seasons? 10 D-Linemen would break Strahan's sack record the first year...wait...that wouldn't be so bad. Anyway, it just means more injuries causing more injury-affected playoff teams and results. Plus, the NFL is popular in part because it leaves you wanting more. I'm not saying 18 games would take you beyond that threshold, but it seems unnecessary.

I don't mind the preseason games, but I'm not a season ticket holder either. I think giving teams more options with their preseason 'games' would be a good option. Allowing teams to schedule their own opponents so that coaches can kind of work together on what they want to accomplish. Seeing one team's starters playing against another team's backups always seems stupid and a recipe for disaster. Make them more like an officiated scrimmage, or at least give the teams the option to do so.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby SniperShot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:44 pm

#3 will probably happen first.

Teams in L.A are not out of the question happening at some point though. Such a big market to not have a team is pretty crazy. I think they should add just 1 team in L.A and find another big market that could use a team.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:10 am

SniperShot wrote:#3 will probably happen first.

Teams in L.A are not out of the question happening at some point though. Such a big market to not have a team is pretty crazy. I think they should add just 1 team in L.A and find another big market that could use a team.

I remember reading or hearing about the league going to a 17 game schedule with the added game being either a cash-cow foreign country games or played at neutral sites. Part of the thinking is that if L.A. supports those games well enough there could be a team there in the future.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby spodog » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:27 am

BigBadBrawler wrote:They'll probably just end up moving Buffalo to Canada and moving another Team here...

I'd give this a less than 1% chance of ever occurring. If the Bills move to Canada, then they would move to Toronto. This would basically seal the fate of no team every having a home in Buffalo again. The Buffalo and Toronto TV markets overlap, and they are way too close geographically, for the NFL to allow a team in both cities.

Buffalo had better do all it can to hold onto the Bills, because if they move across the border, then that is the end of the road for the NFL in Buffalo.

EDIT: BigBad - In re-reading your post, I think you meant L.A. when you said "here". At first I thought you meant moving the Bills to Canada, and then putting another team in Buffalo, which I don't think will ever happen.

I doubt that the Bills move and a franchise in L.A. are related items at all, but the NFL really, really wants a franchise (or two) in L.A.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:20 pm

i really dont think LA deserves a team, but if you gave them the Chargers or Bills i probably wouldnt mind too much, although the Chargers or Oakland would make the most sense from keeping with the North, East, South, West deal...or Arizona i guess, they dont really deserve a team either

i DO NOT want to see expansion though, i think the current 32 team setup is perfect. 33 would be TERRIBLE as someone else mentioned (at least from a fantasy perspective) because you bring back the pre-Houston days of a team having a bye during the fantasy playoffs
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:41 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i really dont think LA deserves a team, but if you gave them the Chargers or Bills i probably wouldnt mind too much, although the Chargers or Oakland would make the most sense from keeping with the North, East, South, West deal

Yeah, cause we all know that Dallas in the East makes perfect sense. :-B
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:04 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i really dont think LA deserves a team, but if you gave them the Chargers or Bills i probably wouldnt mind too much, although the Chargers or Oakland would make the most sense from keeping with the North, East, South, West deal

When the league re-organized the divisions, Dallas was left in the East to preserve the Dallas/Philly and the Dallas/Redskins rivalries (and to a lesser extent, the Dallas/NYG).

The Dallas/Philly and Dallas/Redskins games twice are year are HUGE draws for these teams, their fans and they garner giant TV ratings.

I personally think that the NFL got it pretty close to exactly right when they shuffled the divisions around to come up with the eight divisions of 4 structure. They retained almost all of the old traditional division rivalries, and got the geography generally correct. It certainly is an improvement on some of the goofiness that was in place prior to the reorg like:

- Atlanta Falcons in the NFC West
- St. Louis Cardinals in the NFC West
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:32 pm

spodog wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:

When the league re-organized the divisions, Dallas was left in the East to preserve the Dallas/Philly and the Dallas/Redskins rivalries (and to a lesser extent, the Dallas/NYG).

The Dallas/Philly and Dallas/Redskins games twice are year are HUGE draws for these teams, their fans and they garner giant TV ratings.

I personally think that the NFL got it pretty close to exactly right when they shuffled the divisions around to come up with the eight divisions of 4 structure. They retained almost all of the old traditional division rivalries, and got the geography generally correct. It certainly is an improvement on some of the goofiness that was in place prior to the reorg like:

- Atlanta Falcons in the NFC West
- St. Louis Cardinals in the NFC West

I agree that they did a pretty good job. I would hate to see a restructure now with the great stuff they have going now. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk