31%
The NFL expands, with a new team in Los Angeles
17%
The NFL shortens the preseason to a 3 game schedule
52%

Total votes : 29

Re: Football in L.A.

Postby dmacblue » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:26 pm

As a Brit who only moved here in 2001, Ive never really understood why the 2nd biggest city doesnt have a permenant NFL team. I read a lot about LA doesnt deserve one etc. I know the Raider & Rams have both been and moved, but never understood why.

is there any good reading material on this subject. i know I could just Google, but hey I think you guys are smarter than google ;-)

Thanks

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:27 pm

dmacblue wrote:As a Brit who only moved here in 2001, Ive never really understood why the 2nd biggest city doesnt have a permenant NFL team. I read a lot about LA doesnt deserve one etc. I know the Raider & Rams have both been and moved, but never understood why.

is there any good reading material on this subject. i know I could just Google, but hey I think you guys are smarter than google ;-)

Thanks

Because football teams in L.A. are cursed

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:32 pm

dmacblue wrote:As a Brit who only moved here in 2001, Ive never really understood why the 2nd biggest city doesnt have a permenant NFL team. I read a lot about LA doesnt deserve one etc. I know the Raider & Rams have both been and moved, but never understood why.

Thanks

OK, this is from someone who has lived in L.A. and witnessed this dilemma first hand. Forget Google. Here is your research project:

On the first two weekends of the NFL Season, fly to CA and go to Redondo Beach or Hermosa Beach and just wander around for a while. Soak in the whole scene, and enjoy the scenery (see sample #1). Now, in Week 3, fly to Pittsburgh and go to a Steelers game and enjoy the scenery. (see samples #2 and #3).

You will quickly see why very few in L.A. care about going to an NFL game when they have so many other distractions when compared to other cities where football rules.

Sample Scene #1 (L.A.)

Sample Scenes #2 and #3 (Pittsburgh, and many other NFL cities)
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:51 pm

moochman wrote:
SniperShot wrote:#3 will probably happen first.

Teams in L.A are not out of the question happening at some point though. Such a big market to not have a team is pretty crazy. I think they should add just 1 team in L.A and find another big market that could use a team.

I remember reading or hearing about the league going to a 17 game schedule with the added game being either a cash-cow foreign country games or played at neutral sites. Part of the thinking is that if L.A. supports those games well enough there could be a team there in the future.

I think something similar to what is mentioned above is perfect.

a 17 game schedule that has 1 game for each team either played in a foreign market (Canada, Mexico, England, ect) or played in LA.
I think LA is diverse enough to draw fans for pretty much any team that would play a game there, and completely solve this issue of no team in LA if you give them at least 8 of the 16 "extra" games, it would be the same as any other NFL city in terms of home games.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:34 pm

Hilarious spodog. :-b ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk