Thoughts on JT O'Sullivan? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thoughts on JT O'Sullivan?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on JT O'Sullivan?

Postby theimitator » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:46 am

So I know the idea of drafting a SF QB, especially one that has been in the league 6 years and never been a starter seems a bit silly at first. But what do you think about JTO as a bye week fill in/potential low tier starter?

Consider the pros:

He's got the pass-happiest OC in the NFL calling the shots. Martz did wonders for each mature QB he's worked with. Kitna, Bulger, Warner all come to mind. I'm not saying JTO has the same ablilities as they do, but Kitna, for example, was left for dead by the Bengals before he found new life in Martz's Detroit.

He's worked with Martz before. Apparently Martz really likes JTO and brought him over to SF from DET. So JTO's learning curve is pretty flat.

He's got old, trusty Bruce, another Martz veteran, as a WR, and VD, a beast that Martz wants to use a lot, as the TE. Not to mention Gore, who should keep the defenses honest.

He played very well in the preseason.

SF has like, the third easiest pass D schedule this season.

Consider the cons:

He's got Alex Smith, former #1 pick sitting behind him, so he'll probably be on a short leash. That's big money and someone's rep sitting on the bench.

He's been in the league six years and never found the starting lineup, so shouldn't that say something?

SF is potentially a mess, and one would be wise to steer quite clear of the whole team.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear everyone's thoughts. :-?
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Thoughts on JT O'Sullivan?

Postby FatFoot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:50 am

He's on the backup radar because of the potential "team" around him. Decent WRs, good RB and TE, and of course, Martz.

But it could just as well end up being Smith or Hill in a week or two. If he has a big game in the first week or two, maybe you can start feeling a little more comfortable about him. Then again, people were starting Grossman last September. He's the kind of QB you can store if you have a slot that you don't absolutely need. I'd be afraid to start him until we see him against real NFL Season defenses.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby programatik » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:54 pm

I just wanted to touch base and say that Martz has already come out and said that VD will *not* be guaranteed anything. That his past numbers are a good indication of what we could expect the most of. I'd be very hesitant about VD's production this season. Who knows what can happen during the middle of the season, but I'm betting he doesn't get more than 55 catches this year.
programatik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Felix the Cat » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:23 pm

I'm going with JTO to have a good season... for purely personal reasons.

Last year, around the June-July time frame, I called Derek Anderson to take over the starting gig in Cleveland and to have a good year. I didn't trust my instincts there, though, and drafted assuming Charlie Frye was the starter.

This year, I've been high on JTO from the time he signed in San Fran, and in a thread on a different forum I called him to be the starter weeks before the news was official.

Take that for what it's worth, I'm not a football prophet by any means, but I like what I've seen from O'Sully throughout his career, including impressive performances in Europe.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:26 pm

I think he may be overhyped and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the starter by the year's end. Yes he plays under Martz but people may be over-inflating that fact. He's a solid QB2 at best, I wouldn't start him yet unless you're absolutely desperate.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk