A better way to award the #1 pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

A better way to award the #1 pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

A better way to award the #1 pick

Postby WeekSixteen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:04 pm

I was looking around the other day at how different leagues award the #1 pick outside of the boring, give it to the worst team, that seems to be the norm. The problem that I see with giving it to the worst team is that everyone does it so it's boring and it gives real bad teams and real good teams to much incentive to trade future picks for good players (I'm guilty of plundering from horrible teams in exchange for picks). The only way to counter that incentive is to have a trade deadline at week 10 IMO.

So I was surfing and I discovered the following system a league uses (not mine, and I'm not gonna pimp them). They use the typical playoff format for the best six teams (12 team leagues) and then have a playoff system for the 6 that didn't make the playoffs where picks are awarded to teams as they advance brackets and the overall champion of the consolation bracket gets the #1 pick. IMO this seems to be a near perfect system to use, as a problem with many leagues is keeping teams interested and around. By using this system it encourages every team to play for something, spicing up the dynamics of a typical 12 team league. I've posted their playoff bracket from last year. Let me know what you think and how your leagues award the #1 pick as I'm looking for a system to use next year.

Image
Image
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 373
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Minnesota

Re: A better way to award the #1 pick

Postby FFfirsttimer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:00 pm

draw names out of a hat
FFfirsttimer Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 213
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: A better way to award the #1 pick

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:25 pm

I am assuming we're talking keeper. If its just redraft, no reason to handicap the team that won, so just do it randomly each year. I personally am a fan of the system that you posted for keepers/dynasties. I have heard of it being done and those in the leagues seem to generally like it. ;-D
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Re: A better way to award the #1 pick

Postby JoshJungalo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:33 pm

I did a NBA style lottery for the bottom 6 teams to determine draft position to cut down on teams losing to get #1 pick
JoshJungalo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 278
Joined: 1 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: A better way to award the #1 pick

Postby woodson_28 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:01 pm

IMO, draft picks should be set in stone. Say there are 10 teams: Number the teams 1-10, and randomize the order, but still set it up so that over the next 10 years every team gets the #1 pick one year, #2 pick another year and so on.

For example, year 1 draft could go (team #'s): 2, 4, 5, 10, 9, 7, 1, 8, 3, 6
next year might be: 3, 10, 9, 2, 6, 5, 1, 4, 7, 8 (random order, but nobody is drafting in the same spot as the previous year)

and so. Over the 10 years, every team would have the #1 pick, #2 pick, #3 pick, etc... once.

You wouldn't want to just rotate the teams (for exmaple): 2, 4, 5, 10, 9, 7, 1, 8, 3, 6 the first year
and than the second year team 6 moves up, and everyone moves down 1: 6, 2, 4, 5, 10, 9, 7, 1, 8, 3
That would probably tip the balance if one lucky team (team #2) had the 1st pick one year, 2nd pick next year, 3 pick the following year, etc...

That's the only "fair" way to do it IMO. Why penalize a team for building a great team, or winning more games than everybody else?

I am actually hoping the NFL will adopt a system similar to this. Why should CLE, and HOU keep getting the top overall picks? Because they suck? Big deal. Rotate the teams through so that everybody gets a shot at the #1 spot.

Like I said, this is all IMO. I wouldn't expect many people to agree.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 881
Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A better way to award the #1 pick

Postby WeekSixteen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:23 pm

woodson_28 wrote:IMO, draft picks should be set in stone. Say there are 10 teams: Number the teams 1-10, and randomize the order, but still set it up so that over the next 10 years every team gets the #1 pick one year, #2 pick another year and so on.

For example, year 1 draft could go (team #'s): 2, 4, 5, 10, 9, 7, 1, 8, 3, 6
next year might be: 3, 10, 9, 2, 6, 5, 1, 4, 7, 8 (random order, but nobody is drafting in the same spot as the previous year)

and so. Over the 10 years, every team would have the #1 pick, #2 pick, #3 pick, etc... once.

You wouldn't want to just rotate the teams (for exmaple): 2, 4, 5, 10, 9, 7, 1, 8, 3, 6 the first year
and than the second year team 6 moves up, and everyone moves down 1: 6, 2, 4, 5, 10, 9, 7, 1, 8, 3
That would probably tip the balance if one lucky team (team #2) had the 1st pick one year, 2nd pick next year, 3 pick the following year, etc...

That's the only "fair" way to do it IMO. Why penalize a team for building a great team, or winning more games than everybody else?

I am actually hoping the NFL will adopt a system similar to this. Why should CLE, and HOU keep getting the top overall picks? Because they suck? Big deal. Rotate the teams through so that everybody gets a shot at the #1 spot.

Like I said, this is all IMO. I wouldn't expect many people to agree.


Fair enough B-) , I'll be the first to disagree though for keepers/dynasties. I guess it could work for redraft leagues, but that kind of system takes an element of excitement and dynamic out of fantasy football. It's to planned out and well "boring". It could be alright if your playing with the same group of owners every year but when a couple of owners come and go, it would be tough to take a team and know you have no shot at #1 for years. I guess there is no reward for skill or lack thereof in that type of system.

This is the first time I have heard of that type of system, and responses like that are what I'm looking for so I appreciate it. ;-D
Image
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 373
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Minnesota

Re: A better way to award the #1 pick

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:55 pm

I like the winner of the consolation bracket plan. That can skew to be unfair because that team could be awesome relative to the other crappy teams.

I am beginning to think some type of weekly waivers combines with awarding the pick to the consolation bracket is the way to go...
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2843
Joined: 3 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: A better way to award the #1 pick

Postby WeekSixteen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:09 pm

eaglesrule wrote:I am beginning to think some type of weekly waivers combines with awarding the pick to the consolation bracket is the way to go...


What exactly do you mean with the weekly waivers?
Image
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 373
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Minnesota

Re: A better way to award the #1 pick

Postby Retet » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:14 pm

I play in a league with a consolation bracket similar to the original posters, and I love it for this reason: it makes fantasy football relevant and FUN for everyone during the playoff run. And, in the years I've been in this league, the consolation bracket winners are just as fluky and unpredictable as the playoff bracket -- so it's entirely fair.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1498
Joined: 23 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: A Northern Town

Re: A better way to award the #1 pick

Postby WeekSixteen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:48 pm

Retet wrote:I play in a league with a consolation bracket similar to the original posters, and I love it for this reason: it makes fantasy football relevant and FUN for everyone during the playoff run. And, in the years I've been in this league, the consolation bracket winners are just as fluky and unpredictable as the playoff bracket -- so it's entirely fair.


Is your bracket the same or has your league tweeked it a little?
Image
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 373
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Minnesota

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 11:47 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact