A better way to award the #1 pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

A better way to award the #1 pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: A better way to award the #1 pick

Postby dgan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:31 pm

eaglesrule wrote:I like the winner of the consolation bracket plan. That can skew to be unfair because that team could be awesome relative to the other crappy teams.

I am beginning to think some type of weekly waivers combines with awarding the pick to the consolation bracket is the way to go...

We do it this way. No complaints. Keeps people interested. Not only does the winner of the toilet bowl get his entry fee refunded, but also gets the #1 pick the following year. This also can reward someone who drafted well but got unlucky with injuries. If the core of his team spends half the season injured and causes him to miss the 'real' playoffs, they could come back in time to help him win the toilet bowl.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:18 am

I'm in a 12-team dynasty league where we have a rookie draft at the end of each year. League champ gets last pick (obviously) . Runner-up gets second last. We have 4 teams make the playoffs, so during "championship" week, the semifinal losers play for 3rd. Winner gets their choice of an extra pick in the 4th round of the rookie draft or getting to draft in front of the other semi-final loser.

For the 8 teams that missed the playoffs, we run a consolations playoffs with a "back draw". We award bonus draft picks to the "consolation champ" and higher place winners, and higher draft position to the "last place" team in the consolation playoffs. The catch is that the winners of the playoff get to choose whether or not to move "up" the consolation ladder (towards the bonus picks), or whether to move backward (towards the higher draft slots). This continues for 3 weeks, until each owner has a "place". Draft w/ bonus pick looks as follows.

1st place: Drafts 8th, gets bonus picks in 1st, 2nd, 3rd round of rookie draft
2nd place: Drafts 7th, get pick in 2nd and 3rd
3rd place: Draft 6th, get pick in 2nd and 3rd
4th place: Draft 5th, get pick in 3rd
5th place: Draft 4th, get pick in 4th round and 3rd round (clearly better than getting "4th place"; however to get 5th place a team would be out of the running for the lucrative 1st and 2nd round rookie picks after one round, so teams will usually elect to try and move up)
6th place: Draft 3rd, get pick in 4th
7th place: Draft 2nd, get pick in 4th
8th place: #1 pick, but no bonus rookie picks

Sometimes teams that win will elect to move "backwards:, and this makes the playoff system a little more interesting. However, I think any team would rather have the 3 extra draft picks than have the #1 pick. We use the same order for each round, so in some cases moving up in the draft is a better choice than getting the extra picks. This gives owners an incentive to win and get what they feel is best for their team, as well as helping losers to rebuild quickly. The one huge drawback I see to this is that it does give losers a pretty big reward.

I think this could be implemented in dynasties and keepers. You would have to figure out where the picks should be added though (I would say the "1st" coorelates to maybe a 5th rounder in redrafts, "2nd" coorelates to a 10th rounder, and "3rd/4th" are extra picks after the draft is over,
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm just good with giving it to the last place team in keeper/dynasty leagues, but your system is pretty good as well.
Sea Dog Fan
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby fezzik » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:40 pm

We have a similar setup in my 12 team keeper league, but because I haven't yet convinced the league to go to a six team playoff format instead of an eight...our ordering is a little tweaked, but still based on the winner of the consolation bracket getting the top pick...followed by the best teams that finished out of the money...followed by the top teams:

9-10-11-12-5-6-7-8-4-3-2-1

We wanted the people who finished at the bottom to get the top picks as well as give them incentive to stay active and maintain a competitive roster.
I only dog paddle...
fezzik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby biju » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:51 pm

The keeper league I'm commish of has used a variation of this system for a few years now and it's great at keeping teams that are "out of it" active until the end of the season, doing add/drops. We have a couple of changes: It's total points for the 3 weeks of playoffs we have instead of doing head-to-head. This helps ensure we don't reward too much luck that tends to exist in H2H matchups. We also award a small payout to the team that wins. We've seen too often that one of the better teams just has bad luck with matchups and we wanted to essentially reward that team.

While this has generally been a great deterrent for teams trading out great players to playoff teams, we also have one final rule to help: no team that is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs can trade with a team that is still in the hunt. But playoff teams can trade within each other and teams that have been eliminated can trade amongst each other.

Just added insurance to keep league parity, although we have never had a problem. Maybe the rule is why we haven't had a problem though.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:41 pm

yea, no easy answers. I deal with this in a fantasy keeper league, but that's roto. so while "ghost ships" stink because they take players out of circulation, in football (or baseball head to head) its worse because wins that come easy later weren't that way to start.

Having a "ghost ship" penalty is something I put into my leagues. You pay an extra 20 percent if you don';t at least set up a lineup each week.

Football is bad in this regard, but roto baseball can be miserable, because you really can just be out of it.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:34 pm

Jason X wrote:I was looking around the other day at how different leagues award the #1 pick outside of the boring, give it to the worst team, that seems to be the norm. The problem that I see with giving it to the worst team is that everyone does it so it's boring and it gives real bad teams and real good teams to much incentive to trade future picks for good players (I'm guilty of plundering from horrible teams in exchange for picks). The only way to counter that incentive is to have a trade deadline at week 10 IMO.

So I was surfing and I discovered the following system a league uses (not mine, and I'm not gonna pimp them). They use the typical playoff format for the best six teams (12 team leagues) and then have a playoff system for the 6 that didn't make the playoffs where picks are awarded to teams as they advance brackets and the overall champion of the consolation bracket gets the #1 pick. IMO this seems to be a near perfect system to use, as a problem with many leagues is keeping teams interested and around. By using this system it encourages every team to play for something, spicing up the dynamics of a typical 12 team league. I've posted their playoff bracket from last year. Let me know what you think and how your leagues award the #1 pick as I'm looking for a system to use next year.

This is exactly what we are implementing this year. We did something similar in a baseball keeper where top 4 monied so they got the last 4 picks, then whoever finished 5th gets the 1st pick, 6th gets the 2nd, and so on.

So in our football league (12 teams) the 6 teams that makes the playoffs fight for cash and the championship while the 6 non-playoff teams fight for the #1 pick (playoff teams pick 7-12 based on inverse playoff finish and non playoff teams pick 1-6 based on playoff finish). ;-D
BALCO All-Stars
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:17 pm

Well what if a guy traded his 1st rd pick earlier in the season, so if he ends up in the consolation bracket(or the scrub tourney as we call it in our league), he might not want to win out that bracket because he would be winning and giving another team the #1 pick, and really once you didn't win the championship its all the same... Seems like a nice set up though, I love ideas that keep everyone active till the end of the year.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:59 am

LS2throwed wrote:Well what if a guy traded his 1st rd pick earlier in the season, so if he ends up in the consolation bracket(or the scrub tourney as we call it in our league), he might not want to win out that bracket because he would be winning and giving another team the #1 pick, and really once you didn't win the championship its all the same... Seems like a nice set up though, I love ideas that keep everyone active till the end of the year.

We ran into that in our dynasty league a few years back. The two teams in the consolation bracket didnt have their first round pick any more, and one had the others pick, so he was better off losing. To combat that we went from a snake to standard draft, meaning that there was still a benefit in the later rounds to having that win.

Key is we are all friends. If someone was seen to be punting the bracket since it didnt help him he would have been torn apart via text messages and on the board, so no one does it.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk