Another Odd guy, Chaz Schilens - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another Odd guy, Chaz Schilens

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another Odd guy, Chaz Schilens

Postby brett5673 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:36 pm

Alright, with the season approaching, Ive been lighting up these boards lately, and been on here nonstop with many topics and odd things. I love this place. Anyways, im the guy that brought up that Marcus Henry guy and said he has a little bit of the stuff to become the next Colston, well, I have done my own research, with the help of no sites, and found another guy to put on the Radar, Chaz Schilens, Raiders WR. This guy is super Raw as a football player and his true value is in the future, but still, I want to take a look at him. As a sleeper pick, this guy isnt even a deep deep sleeper, think Grand Canyon deep sleeper, but anyways. From my little research, it looks like he was mainly a baseball player and picked up football as a senior in high school. He was not too great at San diego State until his last year(as a football player) and even then, not spectacular. He had Kevin O connel as a QB, so being unproductive with him as QB is questionable(since O'Connel was a 3rd rd pick i believe himself). all his on field stats make him a questionable player at best. But, take a look at his physical stats, and you have yourself something pretty close to Calvin Johnson(Yes Calvin Johnson i know, trust me).
He has his downsides with his hands not being great, and hes been injury rattled in college (like Colston). But he is 6'4, 225 runs a 4.38 and has the same vertical as Calvin Johnson. And from other boards, a SDSU fan said he was never impressed with him and he never really was a gamebreaker, but with raiders keeping him, it says something about a 7th round pick and how they feel. I wonder if his foot injuries maybe slowed him down in college, but now hes fully healthy. Im not in those Dynasty leagues, but if you got like the last pick and totally need to go with a flier or need somebody you may want to consider him. I do not know enough about him, but running a 4.38 with that size says something, and if Walker breaks down and calls it quits, which you never know, and is done, I think Schilens just from depletion may get a chance to start. Let me repeat I dont know personally enough about him, but hes an interesting guy nonetheless, and im interested to see if he hits the field. I guess the thing that intrigues me the most is Russell needing a deep threat sorta and, i guess the paralellnes(is that a word?) of 2 years ago. The Saints drafting a Big time RB in the 1st round, and then out of nowhere, a guy named Colston goes big and was drafted in the 7th round. Forward 2008: The Raiders select mcFadden in
the first round, 4th pick, Schilens in the 7th. Anyways Im kinda stretchin it there, but you never know. What do you guys think?
Welcome to Minnesota, Lord Brett
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Another Odd guy, Chaz Schilens

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:33 pm

brett5673 wrote:Alright, with the season approaching, Ive been lighting up these boards lately, and been on here nonstop with many topics and odd things. I love this place. Anyways, im the guy that brought up that Marcus Henry guy and said he has a little bit of the stuff to become the next Colston, well, I have done my own research, with the help of no sites, and found another guy to put on the Radar, Chaz Schilens, Raiders WR. This guy is super Raw as a football player and his true value is in the future, but still, I want to take a look at him. As a sleeper pick, this guy isnt even a deep deep sleeper, think Grand Canyon deep sleeper, but anyways. From my little research, it looks like he was mainly a baseball player and picked up football as a senior in high school. He was not too great at San diego State until his last year(as a football player) and even then, not spectacular. He had Kevin O connel as a QB, so being unproductive with him as QB is questionable(since O'Connel was a 3rd rd pick i believe himself). all his on field stats make him a questionable player at best. But, take a look at his physical stats, and you have yourself something pretty close to Calvin Johnson(Yes Calvin Johnson i know, trust me).
He has his downsides with his hands not being great, and hes been injury rattled in college (like Colston). But he is 6'4, 225 runs a 4.38 and has the same vertical as Calvin Johnson. And from other boards, a SDSU fan said he was never impressed with him and he never really was a gamebreaker, but with raiders keeping him, it says something about a 7th round pick and how they feel. I wonder if his foot injuries maybe slowed him down in college, but now hes fully healthy. Im not in those Dynasty leagues, but if you got like the last pick and totally need to go with a flier or need somebody you may want to consider him. I do not know enough about him, but running a 4.38 with that size says something, and if Walker breaks down and calls it quits, which you never know, and is done, I think Schilens just from depletion may get a chance to start. Let me repeat I dont know personally enough about him, but hes an interesting guy nonetheless, and im interested to see if he hits the field. I guess the thing that intrigues me the most is Russell needing a deep threat sorta and, i guess the paralellnes(is that a word?) of 2 years ago. The Saints drafting a Big time RB in the 1st round, and then out of nowhere, a guy named Colston goes big and was drafted in the 7th round. Forward 2008: The Raiders select mcFadden in
the first round, 4th pick, Schilens in the 7th. Anyways Im kinda stretchin it there, but you never know. What do you guys think?

The specs I saw had him at 208 and not 225, but other than that, I think that he's the fifth WR on the Raiders. Sorry man, but not very promising. On top of that, hes the fifth WR on what rotoworld calls "the worst bench in the league" when refering to their backup WR's.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brett5673 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:37 pm

Not denying anything, but Im not sure where you saw 208, pretty sure hes 225. He could easily be a pile of crap, i was just intrigued that he ran a 4.38 with that size.
EDIT: I saw where he was 208, on the combine thing, but all the more recent roster places have him at 225, so i have no idea what he truly is, he is definitely solid though, not a skinny guy.
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby J.C.Fighter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:46 pm

Appreaciate the topic but hopefully next time you can come up with somebody that can help fantasy teams this season.
J.C.Fighter
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:48 pm

OK, al his college draft profiles have 208. Everything current has 225. Which makes me wonder if he can still run a 4.38 or if he's lost a little bit of that speed. :-?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brett5673 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:55 pm

yeah, i dont know
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:59 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:Appreaciate the topic but hopefully next time you can come up with somebody that can help fantasy teams this season.

No offense but that is kind of an ignorant statement.

He is trying to come up with someone who may have an impact.

And just because you don't recognize the name doesn't mean he won't impact, season hasn't started you can't declare a player unhelp, a few games in, yeah sure.

Also, it would be shocking if someone did enough research and found a player who will help fantasy teams at this point in the off-season. absolutely shocking.

Good research man, I'm going to give the guy a look in a few dynasty leagues ;-D
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby brett5673 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:07 pm

aaawall91 wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:Appreaciate the topic but hopefully next time you can come up with somebody that can help fantasy teams this season.

No offense but that is kind of an ignorant statement.

He is trying to come up with someone who may have an impact.

And just because you don't recognize the name doesn't mean he won't impact, season hasn't started you can't declare a player unhelp, a few games in, yeah sure.

Also, it would be shocking if someone did enough research and found a player who will help fantasy teams at this point in the off-season. absolutely shocking.

Good research man, I'm going to give the guy a look in a few dynasty leagues ;-D

Good, glad i could help a little, i guess. I guess my logic is, well cause people have heard of James Hardy and Limas Sweed, they are getting WAY(oviously) more hype than this guy for their size, but this guy stands a chance too. He is the biggest WR on the raiders and the fastest, and I think the Raiders will lose Faith in Walker since he looked just horrifiying in the preseason. He has lost a step or 5 i think. The biggest thing preventing him from seeing the field is the raiders keeping Walker out there even if he is atrocious. If this guy catches a deep ball or 2, that could be all it takes to get him more playing time, but thats like everyone else, so.
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:12 pm

Only problem is he has Russell throwing him the ball and Russell is not very good IMO. I will keep an eye on the guy though for future use in my dynasty leagues. Thanks for bringing him up ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby brett5673 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:49 pm

okay, ill definitely say his chances are very limited now that the Raiders signed Lelie, not that hes really that big of a threat, but whatever.
brett5673
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk