Seahawks kicker situation? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Seahawks kicker situation?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seahawks kicker situation?

Postby hwiggen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:34 pm

What the heck is going on with Seatle's kicker position?
They have both Coutu and Mare on the final roster. I've heard Coutu is pretty bad at kicking off so do they plan on having him kick FGs and have Mare on the roster just for kickoffs?
In one preseason game , I think it was game three, Coutu didn't even get a FG or XP attempt. Anyone know what's up?
hwiggen
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Seahawks kicker situation?

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:52 pm

Rotoworld wrote:The Seahawks emerged from final cuts with two placekickers on their roster; rookie Brandon Coutu and Olindo Mare.
One will likely be cut early in the season, but it's uncertain who'll do the field-goal kicking in Week 1. It's clearly a fantasy situation to avoid.

They have an older blurb there that said neither kicker has missed yet and likely if its a tie Coutu will probably win out. He did have a 5-for-5 game in the preseason.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby smackthefirst » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:58 pm

I saw something on an AP report yesterday that said Coutu was doing the place kicking gig and Mare would be doing kickoffs for now. I'll see if I can track that source down again.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Countu hurt a groin after the Chicago game giving Mare a chance to come back against SD. Coach Mike Holmgren said of Coutu's injury: "That hasn't helped him. It allowed Mare to really show." Mare has more experience and is better at kickoffs, but Coutu is a talented rookie whom the Seahawks don't want to get away.

I'd just select a kicker from another team and don't worry about it. Kickers are a dime a dozen.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby smackthefirst » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:05 pm

My problem is that I am in a 12 teamer that starts 2 kickers per team, so they are a little harder to come by. Right now I have Elam and Bryant so if Coutu does kick for Seattle, then he will most likely replace one of my current kickers. But in most situations, I would agree that this isn't a major concern for owners.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:22 pm

Mare wins kick competition

Seattle had two kickers turn in quality training-camp performances. The difference came down to quantity. Olindo Mare had longer kickoffs and a little bit more experience, and he has been told he will be the Seahawks' kicker when the regular season begins in Buffalo.

Rookie Brandon Coutu kicked well enough for the Seahawks to keep him on the 53-man roster this week.

Special teams coach Bruce DeHaven said the two were pretty even in terms of placekicking during training camp, but Mare had an edge in the distance of his kickoffs.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... awk02.html

mod edit: truncated article
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Return to Football Talk