Rudi's impact on Smith - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rudi's impact on Smith

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rudi's impact on Smith

Postby hett2333 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:56 pm

Rudi Johnson was just signed to a one year deal in Detroit. How much will this effect Kevin Smith's value?
hett2333
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rudi's impact on Smith

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:59 pm

it's like asking: How much will D Rhodes impact Addai....if Rudi can stay healthy and perform...IF
...sleep with one eye open
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby hett2333 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:03 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:it's like asking: How much will D Rhodes impact Addai....if Rudi can stay healthy and perform...IF

I think it's a completely different situation...Kevin Smith is no Addai.
hett2333
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:08 pm

hett2333 wrote:
Members Only Jackets wrote:it's like asking: How much will D Rhodes impact Addai....if Rudi can stay healthy and perform...IF[/quote/]
I think it's a completely different situation...Kevin Smith is no Addai.

true..this comparison was too a way lesser extent. But I do know Detroit LOVES K Smith and will give him every chance to be the #1 guy....sure, he can fail or struggle which would sort of popen the door for rudi--but we'll see how good Rudi can still be.
...sleep with one eye open
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby WHO DEY » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:45 pm

I don't think Rudi will have an impact on Smith at all. Rudi has a nagging hamstring injury that he can't seem to overcome and he isn't much of a third down back at all with his timid running style and lack of pass-catching ability. If anything he might get a few goaline carries at the beginning of the season but that should end pretty quickly once the Lions see how weakly he hits the hole. Rudi isn't the same RB that he was 2 or 3 years ago.
WHO DEY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigBadBrawler » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:48 pm

I actually do think this hinders Smith's value a little bit. Rudi is more of a threat for carries than T.Bell would have been, and while I still think Smith is the clear starter, a RBBC could definately develop in DET, and it's certainly not out of the question. This all depends on Rudi's health of course, but I'd drop Smith about a Round in my rankings right now, and I'd be willing to take a flier on Rudi after all the good RBBC backs are gone, before you get to the true back-up RBs...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:02 pm

This is not good for Smith. At the worst it becomes a 60/40 split for Smith and more likely Rudi takes more than that. Luckily, I doubt Rudi starts picking up more than a couple carries for at least a game or two since he just arrived on the team.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:16 pm

BigBadBrawler wrote:I actually do think this hinders Smith's value a little bit. Rudi is more of a threat for carries than T.Bell would have been, and while I still think Smith is the clear starter, a RBBC could definately develop in DET, and it's certainly not out of the question. This all depends on Rudi's health of course, but I'd drop Smith about a Round in my rankings right now, and I'd be willing to take a flier on Rudi after all the good RBBC backs are gone, before you get to the true back-up RBs...

My sentiments exactly. He is more of a threat than Bell which is the key here.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby SniperShot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:37 pm

I see it being a 50/50 split if and when Rudi is up to speed health wise and playbook wise. Right now Smith is the better option of course but like others have said Rudi being there is more of a danger than Taco Bell ever was.

I like the move by the Lions, I think Rudi can still be a great back if he's over his injuries.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:51 pm

Rudi isn't far from having been a Top 5 overall selection. Once healthy he will impact Smith huge. Smith's value is good now and less so as time goes on. Relying on a rookie back is death and Detroit knows it. Especially with a supposed bad OL.
Y`s Guy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk