Rudi is now a Lion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Rudi is now a Lion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rudi is now a Lion

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:57 pm

Lions signed RB Rudi Johnson, formerly of the Bengals.

If Rudi is to rejuvenate his career ala Jamal Lewis, this was the best place to do it. His addition may spell the end of Tatum Bell, who will be third string at best. Johnson probably won't be up to speed in the offense enough to carry it more than five times in Week 1, but will eventually be a big threat to Kevin Smith if Rudi stays healthy. He can be grabbed in all leagues. Sep. 1 - 6:08 pm et
Source: MLive.com

I honestly am not too thrilled about this. Leave it to the Lions to sign a back who has not been healthy. It really depends on what they gave him for the year, money wise.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rudi is now a Lion

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:48 pm

I like it... Tatum is garbage and needed to go. Rudi is not going to be a guy that is going to break off 30 yards runs and be a big playmaker (hopefully thats what Smith will be bringing to the table), but I think he does bring that 3-5 yard consistency that we need. But you are right mutant, it depends on the kind of money we are throwing at him.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Santacruzer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:10 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:I think he does bring that 3-5 yard consistency that we need. But you are right mutant, it depends on the kind of money we are throwing at him.

2.9 yard consistency in fact.

I'm unsure of how I feel about this. As some of you may remember, I've never been one of Rudi's fans. BUT, I also think he's better than the runningbacks currently on the roster, other than Smith.

Crossing fingers...
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:13 pm

IF Rudi is healthy you are right he can get us the 3-5 yard gains that we need. I think he will be used more in the short yardage, goal line duties to start the season. Tatum Bell is garbage and I will say I am overjoyed to see him sent packing(back to Denver?) To be honest Kevin Smith really has not impressed me one bit. Yeah he looked better then Bell in the preseason but that isnt saying much. Kevin Smith as the Lions lone back really worried me but now a 60-40 split by game 3 with Rudi and things look a bit better. Marinelli stated when he saw Rudi working out he looked good. Who knows. Like I said I hope they didnt give him too much for this season, or possibly an incentive laced contract.

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Santacruzer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:17 pm

reporting on ProFootballTalk.com:

LIONS BOUNCE BELL

A league source tells us that the Detroit Lions cut veteran running back Tatum Bell in order to make room for veteran running back Rudi Johnson.

It’s possible that the Texans will sniff around Bell. As we hear it, the Texans were very interested in Johnson, who inked with the Lions before getting a chance to check out Houston.

Bell was traded to the Lions in 2007 as part of the deal that sent cornerback Dre’ Bly to Denver.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:56 pm

mutantseabass wrote:IF Rudi is healthy you are right he can get us the 3-5 yard gains that we need. I think he will be used more in the short yardage, goal line duties to start the season. Tatum Bell is garbage and I will say I am overjoyed to see him sent packing(back to Denver?) To be honest Kevin Smith really has not impressed me one bit. Yeah he looked better then Bell in the preseason but that isnt saying much. Kevin Smith as the Lions lone back really worried me but now a 60-40 split by game 3 with Rudi and things look a bit better. Marinelli stated when he saw Rudi working out he looked good. Who knows. Like I said I hope they didnt give him too much for this season, or possibly an incentive laced contract.

The problem with him getting goal line carries is that while he is a bigger guy he doesn't hit the hole very hard which doesn't make him too effective, we shall see though.

I guess the bottom line is Rudi > Bell. All there is to it.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:06 pm

I was reading somewhere that the Lions will save a bunch of money if they cut T Bell before week one....so im guessing he's gone.
...sleep with one eye open
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mutantseabass » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:07 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:I was reading somewhere that the Lions will save a bunch of money if they cut T Bell before week one....so im guessing he's gone.

2 posts up. They did cut Tinker Bell.

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:07 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
Members Only Jackets wrote:I was reading somewhere that the Lions will save a bunch of money if they cut T Bell before week one....so im guessing he's gone.

2 posts up. They did cut Tinker Bell.

sweet....this makes me happy again as a K Smitth owner
...sleep with one eye open
Members Only Jackets
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LT Blue Colt » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:19 pm

I like it. I don't know how well Rudi will work in a zone blocking scheme. But, like we all know, he's gotta be better than T.Bell. I think CIN was worried they were going to spend a bunch of $ and not know if Rudi was going to last all season. I think they made a bad call. And I think the Lions have been dealt a great opportunity. Really makes me wish Detroit had a little more dangerous of a TE. Sure would give them some amazing setups that would really throw defenses off. But, I think with Smith and Rudi now they can still get that. Along with Roy, CJ, McDonald, and Furrey. I don't know how good Smith's hands are, but I know Rudi doesn't catch all that much. Wish the 2 of them were real great at it though. Detroit could have quite a dangerous spread offense under those circumstances. Either way I'm happy for Detroit, not for my KOTJ team now though. Oh well, I'll work with it. :-b
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Detroit Lions