Rudi is now a Lion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Detroit Lions

Rudi is now a Lion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Rudi is now a Lion

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:47 am

In Rudi Johnson we have a player who was lost to a severe hamstring injury last season, comes into camp overweight and then hurts his other hammy so bad that he never even hits the field during exhibition season. Sure he could be a great addition if he can stay healthy and play up to his potential, and he is surely better than any other back we have save maybe Smith.
However, he is a serious injury risk, consider he lost his job to a much injured RB! Are we supposed to be able to rely on him for the whole season? Isn’t that the reason the hypocrites decided to release KJ???
These guys either are chronic liars or they simply just don’t have any idea what they are doing. I don’t really see NimRod as a chronic liar, well no more than most of us, but you have to wonder if he had any idea what he was doing in letting go of KJ because this sure seems like a knee jerk reaction to the realization that Tinker Bell didn’t suck because of Martz.
NimRod saying he looked good should have been answered with the question of "That must be in person because he hasn't been healthy enough to put it on film, NimRod".

Like I said, this could work out great this year should Rudi be healthy and is here because he feels he can steal the feature job from Smith. Fearing very much that Rudi has never seen an O-line this poor at run blocking and/or is just cashing another check before retiring.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Rudi is now a Lion

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:54 am

I think the running back position is an injury risk. Making decisions based on injury history is a crapshoot at best. Take "Fragile" Fred Taylor for example, he would be injured at least a portion of the season every year. Along comes MJD and he looks as healthy and young as ever. My point I guess is this, Rudi won't even be expected to handle the bulk of the work at RB so I think that gives him the best shot at staying healthy.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Re: Rudi is now a Lion

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:40 pm

meh...he's better than Bell but they still go 3-13
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 7054
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: being a fan of the worst franchise in the NFL

Re: Rudi is now a Lion

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:13 pm

moochman wrote:In Rudi Johnson we have a player who was lost to a severe hamstring injury last season, comes into camp overweight and then hurts his other hammy so bad that he never even hits the field during exhibition season. Sure he could be a great addition if he can stay healthy and play up to his potential, and he is surely better than any other back we have save maybe Smith.
However, he is a serious injury risk, consider he lost his job to a much injured RB! Are we supposed to be able to rely on him for the whole season? Isn’t that the reason the hypocrites decided to release KJ???
These guys either are chronic liars or they simply just don’t have any idea what they are doing. I don’t really see NimRod as a chronic liar, well no more than most of us, but you have to wonder if he had any idea what he was doing in letting go of KJ because this sure seems like a knee jerk reaction to the realization that Tinker Bell didn’t suck because of Martz.
NimRod saying he looked good should have been answered with the question of "That must be in person because he hasn't been healthy enough to put it on film, NimRod".

Like I said, this could work out great this year should Rudi be healthy and is here because he feels he can steal the feature job from Smith. Fearing very much that Rudi has never seen an O-line this poor at run blocking and/or is just cashing another check before retiring.



From what I read earlier in the season out of Cinci was Rudi did come into camp heavier but he was not over weight. He had worked all offseason with the strength and conditioning coach in Cinci. The weight he had gained was muscle. I will look for the article I read stating this.
Image

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11757
Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Motor City

Re: Rudi is now a Lion

Postby LT Blue Colt » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:44 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
moochman wrote:In Rudi Johnson we have a player who was lost to a severe hamstring injury last season, comes into camp overweight and then hurts his other hammy so bad that he never even hits the field during exhibition season. Sure he could be a great addition if he can stay healthy and play up to his potential, and he is surely better than any other back we have save maybe Smith.
However, he is a serious injury risk, consider he lost his job to a much injured RB! Are we supposed to be able to rely on him for the whole season? Isn’t that the reason the hypocrites decided to release KJ???
These guys either are chronic liars or they simply just don’t have any idea what they are doing. I don’t really see NimRod as a chronic liar, well no more than most of us, but you have to wonder if he had any idea what he was doing in letting go of KJ because this sure seems like a knee jerk reaction to the realization that Tinker Bell didn’t suck because of Martz.
NimRod saying he looked good should have been answered with the question of "That must be in person because he hasn't been healthy enough to put it on film, NimRod".

Like I said, this could work out great this year should Rudi be healthy and is here because he feels he can steal the feature job from Smith. Fearing very much that Rudi has never seen an O-line this poor at run blocking and/or is just cashing another check before retiring.



From what I read earlier in the season out of Cinci was Rudi did come into camp heavier but he was not over weight. He had worked all offseason with the strength and conditioning coach in Cinci. The weight he had gained was muscle. I will look for the article I read stating this.


I guess it goes to show how off reports might be. I'm going to try and find it, but in a team report (early Aug) I had read Rudi had dropped weight. I clearly remember it mentioning that last season during his injury he was about 235, and over the off season he had dropped to 223. I'm pretty sure I remember Rudi being quoted, that he felt great and thought he had a little more zip back. That report was part of the reason I bumped him up in my own rankings a little. This was probably before his hammy was nagging him, and he could have been talking out his butt. But, as far as weight I read he's leaned down a touch.

To go a little wild on predictions, hell it's fun anyway, but I'm going to say that by week 3 Rudi is taking a majority of the touches in the Lions offense. So, let's say there's 25 touches. Rudi gets at least 15 of those. Week 2 could be 50/50. So, I guess I'm pretty much saying Rudi is going to get the starting job. I think if Smith works good though, him and Rudi will share some time and really provide a great 1-2 punch we didn't expect to see out of Detroit this season. But, guess what? Neither did anybody else. I think Rudi's got something to prove. And I don't think he's going to disappoint. Yup, you heard it hear. That's my prediction. 8-o ;-D :-D
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B


I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1426
Joined: 5 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Intersection of M32 and Old 27

Re: Rudi is now a Lion

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:46 pm

In the first major surprise of the day, the Bengals informed halfback Rudi Johnson that his contract has been terminated. His agent, Peter Schaffer, confirmed that the Bengals notified him that his client will no longer be with the team. Johnson was in the fourth year of a five-year, $20.7 million contract. Hamstring problems bothered him this summer, and injuries have been a concern for the past couple years.
Johnson came to minicamp in incredible shape. He added muscle and lost body fat.

The release of Johnson gives Chris Perry the starting job. Johnson was scheduled to make $3.65 million this season.


Full article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingc ... id=3561014
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Re: Rudi is now a Lion

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:14 pm

So I'm listening to 97.1 the ticket and they are talking about Rudi. They said Rudi got all his information about the team, coaching staff, and the city from one player...


Tatum Bell. LOL. Poor guy didn't even see it comin.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 3118
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Miami University (OH)

Re: Rudi is now a Lion

Postby moochman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:10 pm

I guess my ole BMW radar must have been pinging when I heard of Rudi's weight gain. Just thought it was fat, but then again it never looked like BMW was a tubby either. Prolly cause he stood close to Big Blubber Rogers as much as he could. :-D
Still, have to wonder if Rudi didn't add the muscle because he couldn't do the road work with his hammy.
I sure hope I am wrong about this, I would love to see a back who runs hard and effectively in short yardage situations.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Rudi is now a Lion

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:02 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:So I'm listening to 97.1 the ticket and they are talking about Rudi. They said Rudi got all his information about the team, coaching staff, and the city from one player...


Tatum Bell. LOL. Poor guy didn't even see it comin.


Even better then that.

RUDI’S CRAZY DAY IN DETROIT
Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2008, 9:17 p.m. EDT

A strange thing happened to running back Rudi Johnson when he visited with the Detroit Lions on Monday.

Someone stole his stuff.

Seriously.

Specifically, and as we’re told by a reliable source (i.e., not the person who told Mort that Joey Harrington had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Monday, or the person who told John Clayton that Todd Bouman had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Tuesday), Johnson left his bags outside CEO Matt Millen’s office while he met with team officials and, ultimately, worked out a deal with the team.

So when Johnson came back to get his bags, they were nowhere to be found. Johnson and Millen were stumped.

Enter the eye in the sky.

The team checked the videotapes generated by the team’s in-house surveillance system, and they quickly identified the culprit.

So who might it have been? None other than Tatum Bell, who lost his gig with the Lions after Rudi arrived.

Per the source, Bell took the bags to the house of a female acquaintance. When confronted on the matter, Bell offered up some cockamamie story that he thought the bags belonged to someone he knew. The girl, however, said that she hadn’t seen Bell in several months and he showed up out of the blue and asked her to keep the bags for a while.

Johnson has retrieved the bags, and it’s our understanding that charges won’t be pressed.

Tatum apparently didn’t know that he was being monitored.

Fortunately, the displaced running back wasn’t Najeh Davenport.


http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/ ... n-detroit/
Image

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11757
Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Motor City

Re: Rudi is now a Lion

Postby LT Blue Colt » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:27 pm

mutantseabass wrote:
RWLongy4 wrote:So I'm listening to 97.1 the ticket and they are talking about Rudi. They said Rudi got all his information about the team, coaching staff, and the city from one player...


Tatum Bell. LOL. Poor guy didn't even see it comin.


Even better then that.

RUDI’S CRAZY DAY IN DETROIT
Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2008, 9:17 p.m. EDT

A strange thing happened to running back Rudi Johnson when he visited with the Detroit Lions on Monday.

Someone stole his stuff.

Seriously.

Specifically, and as we’re told by a reliable source (i.e., not the person who told Mort that Joey Harrington had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Monday, or the person who told John Clayton that Todd Bouman had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Tuesday), Johnson left his bags outside CEO Matt Millen’s office while he met with team officials and, ultimately, worked out a deal with the team.

So when Johnson came back to get his bags, they were nowhere to be found. Johnson and Millen were stumped.

Enter the eye in the sky.

The team checked the videotapes generated by the team’s in-house surveillance system, and they quickly identified the culprit.

So who might it have been? None other than Tatum Bell, who lost his gig with the Lions after Rudi arrived.

Per the source, Bell took the bags to the house of a female acquaintance. When confronted on the matter, Bell offered up some cockamamie story that he thought the bags belonged to someone he knew. The girl, however, said that she hadn’t seen Bell in several months and he showed up out of the blue and asked her to keep the bags for a while.

Johnson has retrieved the bags, and it’s our understanding that charges won’t be pressed.

Tatum apparently didn’t know that he was being monitored.

Fortunately, the displaced running back wasn’t Najeh Davenport.


http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/ ... n-detroit/


:-D :-D :-D That's frickin' hilarious! :-D :-D :-D
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B


I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1426
Joined: 5 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Intersection of M32 and Old 27

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Lions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 17:02 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact