Week 1 Survival Pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Week 1 Survival Pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Week 1 Survival Pick

Postby Big Game JLo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:44 pm

Who are you picking this week? I'm personally leaning towards the NY Jets. They get to play Miami and I feel that Brett Favre is dieing to throw the football and to get all this "retirement" talk behind him.

at NY Giants 3 1/2 point favorites Washington
Arizona 2 1/2 point favorites at San Francisco
at Buffalo 1 point favorites Seattle
Cincinnati 1 point favorites at Baltimore
Dallas 5 1/2 point favorites at Cleveland
Detroit 3 point favorites at Atlanta
at Indianapolis 9 1/2 point favorites Chicago
Jacksonville 3 point favorites at Tennessee
at New England 16 1/2 point favorites Kansas City
at New Orleans 3 point favorites Tampa Bay
NY Jets 3 point favorites at Miami
at Philadelphia 7 1/2 point favorites St. Louis
at Pittsburgh 6 1/2 point favorites Houston
at San Diego 9 point favorites Carolina
Minnesota at Green Bay (no line yet)
Denver at Oakland (no line yet

Note: All teams favored are listed first (on the left).
Big Game JLo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Week 1 Survival Pick

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:01 pm

Picking a team in a divisional matchup on the road is suicide. I'm going with the Chargers, safe pick against a Carolina team with a weak offense, especially without Smith. None of the other matchups except the Pats really excite me and I'd rather hold onto them for later.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:31 pm

Agreed, taking the Jets is suicide. Favre may not have a good hold on the offense yet, you don't know how the new additions to the offensive line will work out, and it's a divisional road game against a Miami team that definitely got better in the offseason. I wouldn't be in any way surprised if the Dolphins won and am actually picking them to beat the Jets in Matchup Meltdown this week.

The three relatively safe picks that I wouldn't regret saving for later on (in no particular order):

- San Diego: bobbing_headz put it pretty well
- Pittsburgh: They've got a brutal schedule, so their home game against the Texans is one of the easiest matchups they'll have this season. Now might be the best time to use them because the only time you might want to use them later is with some home divisional matchups. Fairly risky because Houston is a good team, but Pittsburgh should be able to take care of business.
- Philadelphia: Pretty much the same as the Steelers, except their matchup is probably a little bit safer b/c it's the Rams.

You could also go with New England or Indy if you want to feel 100% safe week one while sacrificing a big chip for later in the year.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:36 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Agreed, taking the Jets is suicide. Favre may not have a good hold on the offense yet, you don't know how the new additions to the offensive line will work out, and it's a divisional road game against a Miami team that definitely got better in the offseason. I wouldn't be in any way surprised if the Dolphins won and am actually picking them to beat the Jets in Matchup Meltdown this week.

The three relatively safe picks that I wouldn't regret saving for later on (in no particular order):

- San Diego: bobbing_headz put it pretty well
- Pittsburgh: They've got a brutal schedule, so their home game against the Texans is one of the easiest matchups they'll have this season. Now might be the best time to use them because the only time you might want to use them later is with some home divisional matchups. Fairly risky because Houston is a good team, but Pittsburgh should be able to take care of business.
- Philadelphia: Pretty much the same as the Steelers, except their matchup is probably a little bit safer b/c it's the Rams.

You could also go with New England or Indy if you want to feel 100% safe week one while sacrificing a big chip for later in the year.

I'd actually be careful of the Houston matchup. Houston is a heavily underrated team, especially their offense. With both Schaub and Andre together they have the potential to put up a lot of points. Plus the Steelers probably have the most overrated defense in the league. Last few years they've been losing quite a few pieces. Terrible secondary if you ask me. I get the feeling that the game is gonna be a shoot-out. I'd wait a week to see how the Steelers really are playing.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:38 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:You could also go with New England or Indy if you want to feel 100% safe week one while sacrificing a big chip for later in the year.

And that is what I am going to do week one, taking New England > Kansas City. I just do not know about many of the other teams enough to trust them week one. After this week, we should have a better idea of the quality of the other teams to be able to make some more gutsy calls in the coming weeks.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby no2leads » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:09 pm

im going with Eagles in week 1 at home vs Rams...by lot of media accounts the Eagles look real good in preseason. Bulger is a pansy, he should get rattled easily with even less weapons then last year...Jackson may not be up to par just yet.

agreed with others though, Pats are #1 safest pick. i don't usually like to "save" teams as more often then not you get burned, but i'm real comfortable with the Iggles. (and i'm a Giants fan)
no2leads
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SniperShot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:41 pm

The Jets will win but I don't know if I'd take them in a survivor pool.

I really like the Philadelphia this week. I also love the Chargers. Save the Patriots, waste to use them this early when there are a few other pretty easy games. Week 1 is always really hard though because some teams that weren't so great in the past year always seem to come out with a little something to prove.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby WeekSixteen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:46 pm

I'm picking Denver over the Raiders, seems like a good time to use Denver.
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby SniperShot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:56 pm

Jason X wrote:I'm picking Denver over the Raiders, seems like a good time to use Denver.
NFC West clash with the Broncos going into the Black Hole... Yikes! :-o

I like the Broncos in the game but man, who knows. So many question marks, especially with how good the Raiders will be coming out of the gates. I hate week 1 for this kind of stuff...
Last edited by SniperShot on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:57 pm

Jason X wrote:I'm picking Denver over the Raiders, seems like a good time to use Denver.

Denver is intriguing but they're on the road against a rival. Too risky, especially the road part. If Marshall wasn't suspended maybe I'd consider them but not now. Oakland is kind of a mystery this year. They have a lot of new upgrades on offense and IMO their defense is very underrated, especially their secondary. Would not surprise me at all to see Cutler struggle.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk