Yahoo drafts screwed last night - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Yahoo drafts screwed last night

Moderator: Football Moderators

Yahoo drafts screwed last night

Postby Blueberries » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:37 am

The Yahoo draft app. went down at 9 PM last night, screwing many drafts (including mine). Anybody had this problem and got news from Yahoo on what they will do?
Blueberries
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo drafts screwed last night

Postby footballsimp » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:43 am

That stinks. It's never happened to me before. I have timed out during a draft but never had the entire draft shut down. Whatever they do, they better make it right. I would be irrate. I dont edit my rankings because I plan on drafting my own team.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby FatFoot » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:03 am

It can be worse if you do your own rankings. I STARTED doing mine, just to have a sort of customized cheat sheet. So I ranked all of the RBs I wanted, and then WRs, figuring I'd go through everything and then sort of mix the values a bit. But I figured I'd be there for the draft. The result was that when I lost my connection to the app (internet connection was fine) my 3rd round pick was Jonathan Stewart. Uncool.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Blueberries » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:08 pm

Well, Yahoo just gave us a new time to draft.
Blueberries
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 2)

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:18 pm

I was wondering why my draft app wouldn't load. Good ol' auto-pick stuck me with Alex Smith and Kellen Clements as my starting QB's also. Yay!
MasterX1918
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:35 pm

Two different things being described here.

There was indeed a problem last night where one of the Plus draft servers went belly-up in the middle of a bunch of drafts. Like the machine died. First thing this morning I rescheduled those drafts for 5pm pacific tonight, giving those leagues at least *some* option prior to the start of the season, and putting them back in a place where they could try to reschedule for available times tomorrow. Customer care also has a list of those drafts, so contacting them and explaining the situation they should be able to help accommodate rescheduling as much as possible.

The last poster who comments on what autopick did would be a different matter. In the situation above, the server died, and those drafts failed entirely. If your draft completed, but you could not connect, that is something different. Did the draft tester work for you beforehand? In a case like this, where the draft completes but a user cannot connect, it is almost always a network problem between the client and the server. Beyond the issue described above, I got no notification of any problems that would explain a failure to connect, so I don't think it was a widespread problem. On the rare occasions where something like that happens, I certainly hear about it, and it makes for a long day. It is *possible* that if you were on the draft server that melted down, and were very near the end of the draft, your draft could have completed with autopicks. If your entire league experienced something like this, then customer care could help you get set up with a new draft time tomorrow. If it was just one user, as mentioned above, it is just about always a network problem between the user and the server.

Finally, someone in the middle described a situation where they did some preranking but did not get the players they would have hoped for. That sort of thing is much harder to diagnose without a whole lot of detail about your rankings, who else got picked, etc. etc.

Hope this helps shed some light. We're never happy when drafts have problems, because we know what a pain that is. We go to great lengths to avoid such problems, and on the rare occasions when they happen, we really do want to do the best we can to make things right afterwards.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Postby mgoose » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:19 am

Yeah something really weird happened to me as well.

My first few round went normally on autodraft, and then I picked up Billy Volek, Matt Cassell, and just a whole bunch of random QB's, I have no idea how that happened, but it really sucked.
Draft on Aug 23rd
mgoose
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:42 am

mgoose wrote:Yeah something really weird happened to me as well.

My first few round went normally on autodraft, and then I picked up Billy Volek, Matt Cassell, and just a whole bunch of random QB's, I have no idea how that happened, but it really sucked.

Ahhh.... let me tell you about *that*.

So every year that happens. To no more than a handful of people. Always a bunch of random quarterbacks. It ticks us off, but in the end we've never been able to reproduce it, have no idea what causes it, and since it only seems to happen to a couple of people each year, we've never been able to justify spending the time to dig deep and figure out what is causing it (compared to all the other things that always need doing).

This past weekend, however, it happened to a friend of one of the engineers here. That gave us enough access to dig really deeply much quicker and easier. Late yesterday we found the cause. It turns out that bug has been there as long as our live drafts have existed. That's a lot of years. And as of late yesterday, it is fixed. There were a lot of smiles when we found that one; it frustrates us each year because we know it really hoses a few people, and there are just never enough hours in the day to do everything we'd like to do.

In case you are curious, it happens/happened when the circumstances of your draft, combined with your exclusions, combine so that the autodraft can't possibly give you a complete starting lineup. For example, the case that finally let us narrow it down was a guy that excluded all but 10 kickers, and by the time the autopicking algorithm tried to get him a kicker, all 10 were gone. The first priority of the autopicker is to make sure you end up with a starting lineup, so this led it into a weird and unintended code path.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)

Postby mgoose » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:02 pm

Hey man, thanks for the in depth reply, I appreciate.

I guess it was my fault, because I excluded all Kickers and Defense, hoping to just pick up some good backup WR's and RB's. I always do my K and Def on a week-to-week matchup basis and never bother picking them when I have a live draft, so I wanted the same kind of thing with the autodraft.
Draft on Aug 23rd
mgoose
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby biju » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:In case you are curious, it happens/happened when the circumstances of your draft, combined with your exclusions, combine so that the autodraft can't possibly give you a complete starting lineup. For example, the case that finally let us narrow it down was a guy that excluded all but 10 kickers, and by the time the autopicking algorithm tried to get him a kicker, all 10 were gone. The first priority of the autopicker is to make sure you end up with a starting lineup, so this led it into a weird and unintended code path.

That is kind of an awesome bug. Congrats on the find, I know those can be tough to find although it seems to me that this should have been an immediate edge case and caught by QA (assuming your team does releases this way) pretty quickly.

But enough with that, congrats on the bug find. Those can certainly be tricky... ;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk