Does any one player guarantee a successful season? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does any one player guarantee a successful season?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does any one player guarantee a successful season?

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Is there a single player in fantasy football that can guarantee your team a successful season (i.e., playoff berth) all by himself? If so, who would that be? Tomlinson? Peterson? Manning? Brady?

Can you chalk up a spot in the playoffs this season with Tomlinson on your roster? Is that possible?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Does any one player guarantee a successful season?

Postby FatFoot » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:52 pm

Last year Brady could be that guy. To a lesser extent Moss. And to a lesser extent 'Znuff.

Put it this way. If you generic Cheat Sheeted yourself into an okay team last year, did minimal WW work and no homework but had Brady, you probably at least made the playoffs.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:26 pm

FatFoot wrote:Last year Brady could be that guy. To a lesser extent Moss. And to a lesser extent 'Znuff.

Put it this way. If you generic Cheat Sheeted yourself into an okay team last year, did minimal WW work and no homework but had Brady, you probably at least made the playoffs.

I would say that was true for last year but its never always the same guy... Sure LT performs like the top tier running back that he is but he alone will not make your season if you botched the rest of your draft. Brady last year could have done it alone but I know I didn't have him pinned as being a guy that could do that before the season and I'm not entirely sold on him repeating this coming year (though of course I do think he will still be a top 3 QB).

I would say there is 1 guy every year that can put a fantasy team on his back and carry them to the playoffs but I don't necessarily believe that having a top 2 pick gives you a gimme.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:55 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:
FatFoot wrote:Last year Brady could be that guy. To a lesser extent Moss. And to a lesser extent 'Znuff.

I would say that was true for last year but its never always the same guy... Sure LT performs like the top tier running back that he is but he alone will not make your season if you botched the rest of your draft. Brady last year could have done it alone but I know I didn't have him pinned as being a guy that could do that before the season and I'm not entirely sold on him repeating this coming year (though of course I do think he will still be a top 3 QB).

I would say there is 1 guy every year that can put a fantasy team on his back and carry them to the playoffs but I don't necessarily believe that having a top 2 pick gives you a gimme.

couldnt have said it better myself
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Nothing in fantasy football is a sure thing. That's why we play. LT is probably the best bet but by no means a guarantee.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Totally agreed. Though there may have been a couple sequential seasons where one player was predicted to be, and then performed as "the guy" I wasn't suggesting, nor would I suggest that Brady is "the guy" again this year. I expect him to be in the run for #1 QB, but I think that this year his results are going to be tempered down by 15-20% all around.

Just like people figured out how to deal with Steve Smith, people figured out how to deal with the way NE uses Moss. It's still gonna be money, but it's not like there's a magic pill.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:15 pm

depends on what your idea of successful is. i feel like anything less than a league championship is a fail.

with that logic i say no...it takes much more than 1 player to carry you. anything can happen in the league anyways, so nothing is a guarantee. barring injuries and freak happenings i think you can do it with 3 elite players though. most likely you will need a strong/elite QB, and a combo of 2 stud/elite RBs or 1 elite RB and 1 elite WR.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:03 pm

So, what's the magic combination? I've had LT2 plus top WRs and a pretty decent QB and RB2 for years, and I've never won anything, yet I hear about people winning their leagues based on LT2 or Brady or Manning, depending on their season. How many players must you have to guarantee finishing "in the money?"
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:35 pm

knapplc wrote:So, what's the magic combination? I've had LT2 plus top WRs and a pretty decent QB and RB2 for years, and I've never won anything, yet I hear about people winning their leagues based on LT2 or Brady or Manning, depending on their season. How many players must you have to guarantee finishing "in the money?"

In my most competitive league who wins the free agency is far more important than the draft. Everyone is going to have 2-4 elite players... its being able be to pick the ryan grants of last year or the ruben droughns' of a couple years back that put you over the top. I would say there aren't any magic combinations and those people that you are hearing about are in 8 team public yahoo leagues :-b

I'd much rather have a team with a solid everything than LT and Brady and nothing else. Probably why I enjoy the last spot in the draft. Fun question though... could be an interesting debate.
'
Last edited by RWLongy4 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby totalair32 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:36 pm

A lot depends on scoring system and what you define a successful season. If you define a successful season as making it to the playoffs, LT is probably the closest thing to a sure bet to get you there.

If you define winning the league as being a successful season, then I don't think there is one player that guarentees that. It's a combination of drafting, making the right trades, and being quick on the waiver wire.
totalair32
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk