Best Drafting position?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best Drafting position??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Drafting position??

Postby saemick » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Just curious as to what the cafe's opinion is on the best draft position (in a standard scoring redraft 12-team H2H league)?

Obviously #1 nets you LT, but then you have practically 2 rounds till your next pick. Some people like the middle, some people like closer to the ends, etc...

What is your opinion and why?
saemick
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best Drafting position??

Postby iamgregg » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:40 pm

Five.

You're guarenteed a top 5 RB, Addai at worst (depending on your rankings) and if someone reaches for Brady you may ened up with Westbrook or Jackson. You also get a sooner stab at top WRs than 1-4 and should still be able to find a decent RB2 in the third round.

Or in the 2nd you get a very good RB2 and a good WR1 (but not a top top one).

Depends which players fall where really.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:50 pm

i think top 4 picks is best...id prefer #1 overall.

the RBs/WRs you get at the end of the first/beginning of the second this year (outside of portis and moss), arent much different than the players towards the end of the second round IMO. best to get a top 4 pick and secure your stud RB and then get whatevers left in the second.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:55 pm

saemick wrote:Just curious as to what the cafe's opinion is on the best draft position (in a standard scoring redraft 12-team H2H league)?

Obviously #1 nets you LT, but then you have practically 2 rounds till your next pick. Some people like the middle, some people like closer to the ends, etc...

What is your opinion and why?

Sure you have to wait 20+ picks for your next pick, but then you get to take your third player before everyone else as well, and so it goes in every odd round. One could argue that the last 8-10 players taken in the second are nearly interchangeable anyway, so you basically get to draft two of them rather than just one - plus you get LT. The top handful of picks are almost always best. Depending on the year, sometimes the next best option is being at the end of the first so that you land two top 15 players - but the difference is pretty marginal given the averages over the long haul. The top picks are the only ones that stand out as giving you a significant advantage almost every year.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:10 pm

1st is always the best. You get the guy you want no matter what. In the 2nd and 3rd there are usually 2 top 7 WR's available for the pickens or a decent #2 RB.

I have had 6th pick earlier and tonight 7th pick. It is alright because you get a pick every 10 or so but I'd definately prefer to be closer to the 1st pick.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:32 pm

Seriously it doesn't make that much of a difference. If you follow your rankings you should end up with most of the same players after the first few rounds anyways, at least I find that. Best is probably 1 cause you get your pick of the litter.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby saemick » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:35 pm

I was hoping to get a top-4 pick, but drew the 6th spot for tomorrow...which is why I ask. I'm a little disappointed, but I'll get over it. It's just a tough spot b/c there is a definite drop-off after the 4th or 5th pick IMO
saemick
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby HasteTheDay » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:53 pm

saemick wrote:I was hoping to get a top-4 pick, but drew the 6th spot for tomorrow...which is why I ask. I'm a little disappointed, but I'll get over it. It's just a tough spot b/c there is a definite drop-off after the 4th or 5th pick IMO

In regards to this year, I definitely agree with you on the drop off. In years past, Tier 1 players would be available picks est. #1-7... This year, it seems as only LT & Brady are left with Tier 1 status, while the rest are plagued with question marks. Years past with the likes of: LT, Alexander, Holmes, Portis, McAllister, Ahman Green, Culpepper, Manning, ect. you were basically guaranteed monster production all throughout for the most part of the 1st round.

In my personal opinion, the drop off midway through the 1st rd is drastic. Hell, even after the 1st 3 picks... but that's just me. I still think that the ideal draft position is, and will always be #1, unless we get to a point where all player production in the 1st rd is practically identical.
HasteTheDay
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:02 pm

I'm actually coming around to picking later on this year, as long as it isn't 12th. There are almost always a ton of receivers available around the late 3rd-early 4th rounds, and if you can get two of them along with two good running backs (I always end up taking whoever I get in the first along with Jamal Lewis), you're in great shape.

But if I had a choice, I'd still take the first pick.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:19 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:I'm actually coming around to picking later on this year, as long as it isn't 12th. There are almost always a ton of receivers available around the late 3rd-early 4th rounds, and if you can get two of them along with two good running backs (I always end up taking whoever I get in the first along with Jamal Lewis), you're in great shape.

But if I had a choice, I'd still take the first pick.

I just went 12th in a pretty smart league and was pissed. Portis/Lynch went off right before me and I really hated all my options. I wound up going WR/WR (TO and Wayne) since I have gone RB/RB in every other league.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk