Beyond Deep - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Beyond Deep

Moderator: Football Moderators

Beyond Deep

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:18 pm

In honor of Brett5673's most recent sleeper column...

With a rookie as the probable starter, and all his backups/tandems cut or on IR, Detriot added recently-released Rudi Johnson.

But he spent much of last year injured. Guess who else Detroit picked up? Marcus Thomas, "Texas-El Paso’s fifth all-time leading rusher (2.615 yards) and third leading scorer (26 rushing touchdowns). He ranked fourth in 100-yard games (11) and seventh in all-purpose yards (3,660). As a senior, Thomas rushed for 1,166 yards and 16 touchdowns while averaging over 5 yards per carry (5.1)." (nfl.com)

More notes:
Lindys- "Positives- Patient runner. Sees the action and has the burst to get through the hole. Deceptive speed once he gets through the initial wave of defense. Good forward lean for short-yardage running. Good hands and is an experienced route-runner. Physical blocker who will step up and take on defenders.
"Negatives- Lacks breakaway speed and while big and strong, isn't explosive. Only marginal elusiveness and acceleration.
"A classic slasher with deceptive elusiveness and speed. Thomas is a reliable receiver out of the backfield and can be an every-down player in the NFL."

Sporting News- "Is well built and shows good instincts. Has a knack for finding the hole and getting through it. Makes small moves to make would-be tacklers miss. Lacks the burst to explode through the hole and get behind the defense. Thomas is a physcial back who consistently runs hard, even in tight areas."

I'll post more info as I find it.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Beyond Deep

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:33 pm

Marcus Thomas is already overrated because he played so well preseason. Theres a reason he got cut.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:26 am

bobbing_headz wrote:Marcus Thomas is already overrated because he played so well preseason. Theres a reason he got cut.

Overrated? Just looking at the bottom of the ADP list, I'd take him over Darren Sproles (66), DeShaun Foster (67), Shaun Alexander (70), Jason Wright (79), Mike Hart (81) and Brian Leonard (83). People may be talking about him more, but he has more value than those going ahead of him.

I don't "know" why he got cut (who does?), but I'd anticipate he got cut because of their satisfaction about the play of Jacob Hester and Darren Sproles. The potential for a platoon, while less talked about, is still out there. And remember, this is to back-up LT, who hasn't broken down yet.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby bungle613 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:46 am

I agree that Thomas is a nice dynasty leaguer to have but would be a VERY VERY deep redraft league sleeper. In essence, he should sit on the wire unless you are carrying a roster of 20+

One thing I will say is that SD knows RB talent. I trust them as a team drafting RB's more than anyone out there.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Football Talk