Games Talk Week 2 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Games Talk Week 2

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Games Talk Week 2

Postby Metroid » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:04 pm

knapplc wrote:
Rule 9-2-1a(2)(c) wrote:After a score or any other play, the player in possession immediately must return the ball to an official or leave it near the dead-ball spot. This prohibits:
(a) Kicking, throwing, spinning or carrying (including off of the field) the ball any distance that requires an official to retrieve it.
(b) Spiking the ball to the ground [Exception: A forward pass to conserve time (Rule 7-3-2-d)].
(c) Throwing the ball high into the air.
(d) Any other unsportsmanlike act or actions that delay the game.

Contrary to some of the statements in this thread, there IS an interpretable part of this rule: The Ref must define what "high" means before he throws his flag. Having watched the replay, I would define the ball as being thrown "high."

That's the part that is dumb. Don't leave any room for interpretation, either throwing the ball in the air is against the rules or it isn't. :-?

Whatever, the Huskies suck either way. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:09 pm

Free Bagel wrote:So....wagers on ECU being #1 in Hskrfan's poll this week? :-b

I assume this was directed at moi. If so, have I lost so much respect that you can't get my screen name correct?

Also, assuming I did put ECU #1, which teams out there have a better resume so far that would indicate that they're more deserving of the #1 ranking?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:42 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:So....wagers on ECU being #1 in Hskrfan's poll this week? :-b

I assume this was directed at moi. If so, have I lost so much respect that you can't get my screen name correct?

Also, assuming I did put ECU #1, which teams out there have a better resume so far that would indicate that they're more deserving of the #1 ranking?

Who are you, again? :-?

:-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ChipaDub » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:54 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
ChipaDub wrote: Any official knows the bottom line is you let the players decide the game, not you.

As I said before I think it is a terrible rule and the guy shouldn't have called it, so I am with you on that, but I have a problem with the above statement, which has been thrown out by all the media. I understand that the ref blew the call and made them back up, but it was a 17 yard FG. I could even understand if he were to miss the thing left or right because you pulled it back (I still think you should hit a 17 yarder), but it got blocked. The players did decide it because BYU blocked an extra point. If the O-Line doesn't allow penetration then UW is going into over time. As I said, hate the rule and the call, but I think the call causing the loss is a logical leap I am not willing to take.

When I trained as a HS referee, this was the first thing they told us. Amazing the media picked up on it. It's really to bad people can get so tainted they fail to recognize the media has great value and important points as well.
ChipaDub Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:48 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
ChipaDub wrote: Any official knows the bottom line is you let the players decide the game, not you.

As I said before I think it is a terrible rule and the guy shouldn't have called it, so I am with you on that, but I have a problem with the above statement, which has been thrown out by all the media. I understand that the ref blew the call and made them back up, but it was a 17 yard FG. I could even understand if he were to miss the thing left or right because you pulled it back (I still think you should hit a 17 yarder), but it got blocked. The players did decide it because BYU blocked an extra point. If the O-Line doesn't allow penetration then UW is going into over time. As I said, hate the rule and the call, but I think the call causing the loss is a logical leap I am not willing to take.

Not a huge deal, but a kick from the 17, which is where they wound up kicking from, is actually a 35 yard FG, which while it should be makeable, isn't a complete guarantee for a college kid, especially with the game on the line.

That being said, I do agree that the rule didn't cost them the game. Even if he makes the PAT, they still have to manage to win the game in OT.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to College Football