Return to General Talk

Oh my God........

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Oh my God........

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:34 pm

dream_017 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Metroid wrote:No you can you're just silly if you do. :-b

Right-o, not saying you can't, that's just my personal take. Personally, I'd feel weird rooting for UCLA even if I passed up on going to school there and I'd dare not support USC, which tends to be L.A.'s next best thing to a pro football team. I'm just bitter because all Loyola Marymount was famous for in the grand scope of things was the 1989 Elite 8 team and the school Hank Gathers past away on. :-C

I think that is ridiculous. What about young kids? They can't be fans of a college team either? Where does it end, once you are able to attend college you can only root for that team anymore?

So you don't have a NFL team that you root for, right? ;-7

I was talking about adult fans. I liked a few college teams as a kid and I still like them but never to the point of actually becoming a supporter, just a well wisher that doesn't live or die by the result. One of those teams was UCLA but whenever I'm watching the basketball game with friends, I just can't feel the kind of entitlement that I can support them. My friends can celebrate it fully because they're alums; I just can't share fully in that joy when they win. Funny thing was, I passed UCLA to join up with my girlfriend at the time and so, I felt like I passed upon that privilege and as a result, I can't participate in that.

And no, I don't support an NFL team either.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:29 am

So would this also then be applied to any sports team? Can't really root for a professional team if you lived in that city, etc?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:18 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:[
I was talking about adult fans. I liked a few college teams as a kid and I still like them but never to the point of actually becoming a supporter, just a well wisher that doesn't live or die by the result. One of those teams was UCLA but whenever I'm watching the basketball game with friends, I just can't feel the kind of entitlement that I can support them. My friends can celebrate it fully because they're alums; I just can't share fully in that joy when they win. Funny thing was, I passed UCLA to join up with my girlfriend at the time and so, I felt like I passed upon that privilege and as a result, I can't participate in that.

And no, I don't support an NFL team either.

It still makes no sense. So, I can root for a team for 12-13 years (age 5-17 or 18), but then based on my college choice I can't root/support a team anymore :-? We should only base our college selection on the football teams at schools if you are a die-hard college football fan?

I have never understood the argument that you have to go to a school to support/root for their team.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk