McFadden, Gholston have look of NFL busts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

McFadden, Gholston have look of NFL busts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: McFadden, Gholston have look of NFL busts

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:38 pm

moochman wrote:Look at every RB from the Bronco system. They rely on one cut and burst. McFadden in Denver would be a beast....until week 3 when Bubba Scrubba would get a surprise start. :-b

You know Oakland is running the same scheme as Denver right? Thats what I've told people all along, I'm not a huge fan of McFadden but he is in a one cut and go scheme with Oakland who relies on the zone blocking scheme, exactly the same set up as Denver, so if you think he would be a beast in Denver its going to be the same system in Oakland nothing changes.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:31 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
moochman wrote:Look at every RB from the Bronco system. They rely on one cut and burst. McFadden in Denver would be a beast....until week 3 when Bubba Scrubba would get a surprise start. :-b

You know Oakland is running the same scheme as Denver right? Thats what I've told people all along, I'm not a huge fan of McFadden but he is in a one cut and go scheme with Oakland who relies on the zone blocking scheme, exactly the same set up as Denver, so if you think he would be a beast in Denver its going to be the same system in Oakland nothing changes.

Except that Oakland run blocks better than Denver right now.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby SniperShot » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:52 pm

Tim Tebow looks like an NFL bust to me... Yeah definitely.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby The Lung » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:11 pm

SniperShot wrote:Tim Tebow looks like an NFL bust to me... Yeah definitely.

If Tebow doesn't concentrate on being a pocket passer and thinks he can run for 800 yards and 20+ TDs every year in the NFL, then he has a very good chance of being a bust. Look how well that style of play has worked for Michael Vick and Vince Young. ;-)
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Polar Bear » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:46 pm

The Lung wrote:

If Tebow doesn't concentrate on being a pocket passer and thinks he can run for 800 yards and 20+ TDs every year in the NFL, then he has a very good chance of being a bust. Look how well that style of play has worked for Michael Vick and Vince Young. ;-)

Wow...so you guys go from calling a guy a bust in the pros before he plays his first game to calling a guy a bust before he is even drafted.

Tebow is only a Junior and I don't think he is going to come out after this year. I may be wrong about that. Regardless, how about we let him play his junior season before we start tossing dirt on him.

Unless you guys were joking in which case, disregard everything I said.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:40 pm

Tebow isn't coming out, and he has plenty of time to refine his game, he is more likely to go on a mission after this year then go pro, money isn't the biggest priority for him I truly believe...He needs some work granted, slow release, gimmicky offense that doesn't require him to read defenses much, but now a days nobody wants to give players proper time to develop because everybody is so anxious...I heard a large portion of people annoint Bush after his rookie season, then after his 2nd season he was back to bust status, its always one extreme to the other.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby TheDiplomats » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:51 pm

dgan wrote:
fantasizing wrote:Maybe Im just a novice, but can someone show me some videos of some RBs that have great lateral acceleration and
"shiftiness". I want to dissect exactly what this guy is talking bout.

Well, I would start with the best ever when it comes to elusiveness, shiftiness, and lateral acceleration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TYYKxp5bWs

He's talking about balance, more than anything. The ability to change direction, bounce off blockers, run through arm tackles, and do it all quickly. Big bruising backs break tackles by running through them - small or just average size backs use body lean and balance. You'll notice in some of the highlights, Barry's shoulders essentially run in a straight line while his lower body darts back and forth dodging tacklers.

Too many RBs become big name backs because they run through gaping holes and poor tackling in college and are able to run away from everyone with speed alone. In the NFL, when LBs are in the sub 4.5s and cornerbacks and safeties are bigger and good tacklers, you need to make quick decisions and make unblocked tacklers miss quickly before you get run down from behind.

The argument against some of these so called 'straight line' backs is that they run until something is in their way...then they either just run into someone, fall down too easily, don't have good vision to make quick decisions, and tend to hesitate or 'bounce' too much trying to find that wide open path through which they can run full speed.

I don't know if McFadden falls into this category or not - I've heard both opinions and haven't seen enough of him to make an opinion myself. But I know vision and balance can make even the slowest backs successful, or at least average - the same cannot be said for speed. I don't recall any RB that could attribute his success to his speed. Michael Bennett is someone I know well because he played at Wisconsin - he was a track star and is ridiculously fast, but he runs out of control with poor balance. Someone touches him and he falls down like a 3 yr old on a steep hill.

;-D ;-D Couldn't have said it all better myself.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Estarr01 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:25 pm

[quote="SniperShot"]Tim Tebow looks like an NFL bust to me... Yeah definitely.[/quote]

I think that Pryor will be a bigger NFL bust than Tebow.

Actually this if my order of future NFL busts

1. Pryor
2. Tebow
3. Newsome (senior in Highschool)
4. Oku (senior in Highschool)

Still haven't done any middle school investigation so can't tell who will be a flop...
Estarr01
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kilroy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:58 pm

Estarr01 wrote:

1. Pryor
2. Tebow

Still haven't done any middle school investigation so can't tell who will be a flop...

Bubba McCants...6th Grader in Alabama. Supposed to be impossible to tackle, but his BMI's all wrong and I heard he's a bit too fond of Snickers Bars.

Pryor's not an NFL quarterback either.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Yellowbird » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Estarr01 wrote:

1. Pryor
2. Tebow

Bubba McCants...6th Grader in Alabama. Supposed to be impossible to tackle, but his BMI's all wrong and I heard he's a bit too fond of Snickers Bars.

Pryor's not an NFL quarterback either.

But Bubba runs a 5.1 40, which is great considering he's only 5'2"

Thanks to madaslives911 for the Sig.
Yellowbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk