Anyone surprised? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Anyone surprised?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone surprised?

Postby scrumtalecent » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:36 pm

I changed my mind and decided to watch the Lions this year. I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment. With 3 minutes to go in the first quarter they're down 21-0. Anyone surprised?
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone surprised?

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Well I am. I figured they could beat one of the worst teams in the NFL. Ya know cause they have a rookie COACH, QB, LEFT TACKLE, THEY LOST, ALGE, That DB, Kerney. What a joke. This may be it for me as a Lions fan. I have been there through all of it but this is a new level.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:55 pm

I cant believe this. I truly believed they would win this week. I mean its not over but man they look absolutely awful. Wow.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby scrumtalecent » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:31 pm

Most of the time, you can't use logic to describe how or why the Lions are losing. Their history explains everything. That being said I am surprised they're only down 21-14 at halftime. Go Lions! ;-D
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:13 pm

Todays vomit was a ringing endorsement for the firing of NimRod Marinelli. NimRod preaches pad level, technique, tackling, and being prepared. Yet not once in his reign of error has his teams ever shown that they were prepared to play a game. It's as if this simpleton thinks that all you need to do it practice the basics and not worry about preparing to play a specific team. I don't know how else you can explain games like this, the SD and Phillie games last year. The Lions are simply surprised that the other team doesn't run the weak crap they must be practicing against.

So to you and your "pound the rock" lies, coach NimRod, I say pound the pavement. You need to be fired at once.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby scrumtalecent » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:03 am

Just askin', but whom do you trust the braintrust of Millen and Ford to hire? Another offensive genius like Morninweg or Martz? Another defensive genius like Marinelli? A coach who coached good players to the playoffs like Mariucci? Are you thinking anyone would be better than Rod?

I'd like a QB who didn't have to throw every ball up where only Calvin and Roy can get them. Plenty of balls were flying over their heads or they'd get their fingertips on them only to have the ball keep sailing (although that was a very nice Roy Williams TD catch). Calvin's pretty lucky he wasn't playing a Bob Sanders type that would have obliterated him before he hit the ground.

I'm not sure how many Lion fans are pinning their hopes to a third round running back behind a weak offensive line to take some heat off Lions receivers. I hope the guy does well, but I say that for every RB we bring in (and evenutally release or put on IR).

The guys on defense were in position to make tackles. They just didn't. Rod's going to yell at them some more...and we'll see the same thing next week. How good are they going to make Ryan Grant, Frank Gore, Matt Forte and Adrian Peterson look in the next few weeks? If they can't remember how to play, things could get even uglier as the year progresses.

My expectations were low, yet slightly optimistic going into the game. Now the optimism is nowhere in sight. I thank God for all the die-hards like Dream out there that will let me keep watching all the Lions I can handle. I hold out hope for these guys alone.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:04 am

i thought they would win, but i cant say i'm surprised they lost. gotta think we're looking at another 32nd ranked D here, and if that's the case the run game will have to be abandonded because it just isnt that good

seriously, are there any teams with a really good Running Game that suck at defense?

Lions...here is a plan for the next 5 years to address in the draft/FA
1. Get a great front 7 on Defense
2. Get a great O-line
3. get some average to good DB's
4. get a good WR (you have Calvin...so check)
5. find an adequate QB
6. find just about any RB
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:13 am

scrumtalecent wrote:Just askin', but whom do you trust the braintrust of Millen and Ford to hire? Another offensive genius like Morninweg or Martz? Another defensive genius like Marinelli? A coach who coached good players to the playoffs like Mariucci? Are you thinking anyone would be better than Rod?

I'd like a QB who didn't have to throw every ball up where only Calvin and Roy can get them. Plenty of balls were flying over their heads or they'd get their fingertips on them only to have the ball keep sailing (although that was a very nice Roy Williams TD catch). Calvin's pretty lucky he wasn't playing a Bob Sanders type that would have obliterated him before he hit the ground.

I'm not sure how many Lion fans are pinning their hopes to a third round running back behind a weak offensive line to take some heat off Lions receivers. I hope the guy does well, but I say that for every RB we bring in (and evenutally release or put on IR).

The guys on defense were in position to make tackles. They just didn't. Rod's going to yell at them some more...and we'll see the same thing next week. How good are they going to make Ryan Grant, Frank Gore, Matt Forte and Adrian Peterson look in the next few weeks? If they can't remember how to play, things could get even uglier as the year progresses.

My expectations were low, yet slightly optimistic going into the game. Now the optimism is nowhere in sight. I thank God for all the die-hards like Dream out there that will let me keep watching all the Lions I can handle. I hold out hope for these guys alone.

I don't care who they hire, all I know is that Marinelli's message isn't being heard. He talks about effort and fundamentals, about being prepared. Yet his teams are never prepared to play a game, and they are the worst team in the league from a fundamentals standpoint. So what is the point of having a head coach who so clearly has lost the team? Fire the bum.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LT Blue Colt » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:23 pm

I just couldn't believe the break down of the defense the entire game. Think about this. If the Lions allow absolutely zero rushing yards next week against Green Bay. They'll still probably have the worst run defense in the NFL. 8-o You would think with Rod coming from a defensive coaching background the one thing, if any, that would be getting better in Detroit would be the defense. You would think the past couple drafts would have included some higher picks going for defensive players. But, no. It's been the same 'ol same 'ol. Build the offense. Which is good. But, I think things like that tell me that Rod is a little more of a puppet than I've sometimes thought. There's Millen stink in there somewhere. Rod probably is a nim-Rod for thinking the fundamentals are going to cut it. These days in the NFL staying ahead of the game, wins the games. His Tampa 2, had better have some fresh ideas. But, I don't think their there. And the players to have an elite defense aren't there either. I hope, as always, they can get their crap together, and put a hurting on our division rivals the Packers next week. Maybe the offense can get it done. They weren't too bad. ;-)
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:36 pm

Sorry, Colt. The Lions are not a running team. They actually had the chance to run more yesterday, but Kitna, Kippy, and the Klowns decided to throw more. 21 rushes isn't that much different than what Martz was doing. The whole coaching staff is incompetent. The Pack should do what they always do, beat the heck out of us.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Detroit Lions