2008-2009 Recruiting Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2008-2009 Recruiting Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2008-2009 Recruiting Thread

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:57 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
You're a 25-year-old graduate assistant who's just gotten your first full-time college coaching gig. You're given a car, an expense account, some snappy golf shirts with the team logo and a territory to recruit. The head coach sends you out the door and into the high school world and wishes you good luck.

Oh, and one more thing: Don't come back without players who will win a conference championship.

What do you do?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/s ... id=3871726

Good stuff there. Mack Brown said something important – Recruit Winners. A lot of coaching staffs have made this a priority – recruit kids from schools that win. Winning is often an attitude as much as talent. When you get to Div-1A the difference between the top schools isn’t vast talent-wise. Often it comes down to the will to win. When a kid already has that instilled in them, coaching them to be winners is that much easier.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:59 am

Dolfin99 wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Brown remains committed to Miami, but he currently is with his uncle on vacation in Nebraska until Feb. 7.

Sounds like a pretty crappy vacation. :-b

Yeah, I have been to Nebraska :-P :-b Although, were it Lincoln, I am sure it would be cool.....right Knapp :-b

Uhhhh... no. :-b

There's a reason I call this place "Stinkin' Lincoln," and it isn't just because I look so cool when I rhyme. The people here are really good, salt-of-the-earth folks, but this town sucks, big-time. Omaha is much cooler (both the town and ORS). ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:29 am

Rich Rod got his dual threat QB in Denard Robinson from Deerfield beach. Had to use 2 scholarships to get him though because they signed his best friend and 2* CB Adrian Widdy. Florida was after Robinson as well, but they refused to offer Widdy a scholarship, so Robinson went where his friend could be and less competition. Widdy sucks though, so I am glad we didn't have to waste the scholarship, and with Reed, Tebow, Brantley, and next years QB's the Gators didn't really need him. Nice grab for Rich Rod though and it is definitely worth the extra scholly to get a QB that can run his system ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:29 am

Today is the day...YAY! :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:57 pm

For those that haven't seen

Bryce Brown -- Top player in the class by Rivals has decommitted from Miami and is now open again to somewhere else. Supposedly he is thinking of going to the CFL :-S

There is a story on him in the NY Times because he is getting a lot of advice from some recruiting helper that is making money off of this. I will see if I can find it.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:29 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/sport ... ref=sports

WICHITA, Kan. — The recruitment of the nation’s top high school football player, tailback Bryce Brown, has been so intense that he left town to escape the hoopla surrounding Wednesday’s national signing day. He may wait a month before deciding whether to join his brother, Arthur, a linebacker at the University of Miami, or go elsewhere.

Here is the article
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:32 pm

South Carolina stole Alshon Jeffery (A Top Wide out) away from USC. Very nice grab for the Ol Ball Coach

RB David Oku has decomitted from UT and is now likely headed to Auburn to run in Gus Malzahan's wildcat offense
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:14 pm

2 UF Commits -- Marselius Teague (4* ATH) and Nukeese (Nuke) Richardson (4* WR) signed with UT instead today. Teague wasn't really a surprise and Nuke wasn't to me either, but Nuke was to some because he was so staunchly a Gator for a while. he took a secret visit to UT this past weekend and has been pretty shady about his recruiting in the end. Florida still has a very solid class and are in the running for 5* TE Orson Charles who won't make a decision until next week sometime. Good luck to the other guys, but they made a bad choice going to the enemy. If you aren't a Gator, your Gator Bait. Hate to be coming across the middle if I were Nuke and see Major Wright bearing down on me. :-o
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:07 pm

if anyone is interested in the members of the Gator class here is a synopsis of each guy ;-D

http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=908844

The Gator defense is going to be very good for a long time. They keep reloading with talent, and we have seen how good the offense is too.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Ole Miss has 35 guys in this class
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football