2008-2009 Recruiting Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2008-2009 Recruiting Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2008-2009 Recruiting Thread

Postby lsufan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:32 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:As an aside --

I cannot wait for Kiffen to bring UT in the Swamp this year.

First --- Kiffen comes in and makes the comments about beating UF next year

2nd --- He tries to steal Billy Gonzalez (UF WR Coach) away from Florida after The school stated he was not allowed to talk with Gonzalez

Now --- He makes this comment :
"Our great recruiters stole 2 commits from the reigning national champions that had been committed to them for a long time."

He should have talked to Mark Richt about what happens to people when they do things like this to Urban

There is a lot of talk about Janzen Jackson on the LSU forums. All kinds of stories about recruiting shadiness.

I hope Florida tears UT a new A-Hole next year.
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:01 pm

lsufan wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:As an aside --

I cannot wait for Kiffen to bring UT in the Swamp this year.

First --- Kiffen comes in and makes the comments about beating UF next year

2nd --- He tries to steal Billy Gonzalez (UF WR Coach) away from Florida after The school stated he was not allowed to talk with Gonzalez

Now --- He makes this comment :
"Our great recruiters stole 2 commits from the reigning national champions that had been committed to them for a long time."

He should have talked to Mark Richt about what happens to people when they do things like this to Urban

There is a lot of talk about Janzen Jackson on the LSU forums. All kinds of stories about recruiting shadiness.

I hope Florida tears UT a new A-Hole next year.

Yea that was shady as heck as well. Kiffin has already pulled a lot of shady things, including hiring away other coaches from teams after he was told not to talk with them. He has written a lot of checks he won't be able to cash IMO. One good thing for LSU from Kiffin coming to UT was that he let John Chavis go and he went to LSU. He is an awesome DC and maybe better than Monte. LSU is a scary team and that is the game that most concerns me going into next season. Florida will tear Kiffin apart and will continue to do so until he is gone. Meyer doesn't forget things like this and Florida still has the better players.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:06 am

I see the Lane Kiffin Era at UT unfolding a lot like the Bill Callahan Era at Nebraska. I don't think either coach grasped/grasps the culture of either program - I think they were both just looking for a job. It's really difficult to get into a program like UT/NE and not adhere to their way of life.

Good luck, Volunteers. You might be very sorry you got this guy in a year or two.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:20 pm

As a fellow graduate of Bloomington Jefferson High School, I hope Kiffin succeeds on Rocky Top, but angering the HC of arguably the greatest program in the country right now is no way to go about it. O:-)
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:44 pm

I can't believe how much everyone is blindly agreeing with Urban Meyer here. The guy tried to do something that constitutes as a recruiting violation, and Kiffin called him out on it. I'm not so sure why this is so bad. While you may not like the manner in which he's done so, Kiffin is trying to make sure that in the future, his recruits don't get stolen away from him because of Meyer's illegal actions. It's just really weird to me that everyone is fine with the fact that Meyer cheated, but not fine with the fact that Kiffin trash talked, although I guess that's bound to happen when the most popular team among posters here is involved.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:59 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I can't believe how much everyone is blindly agreeing with Urban Meyer here. The guy tried to do something that constitutes as a recruiting violation, and Kiffin called him out on it. I'm not so sure why this is so bad. While you may not like the manner in which he's done so, Kiffin is trying to make sure that in the future, his recruits don't get stolen away from him because of Meyer's illegal actions. It's just really weird to me that everyone is fine with the fact that Meyer cheated, but not fine with the fact that Kiffin trash talked, although I guess that's bound to happen when the most popular team among posters here is involved.

The fact that it isn't a violation might have something to do with people agreeing with Meyer. Kiffin is an idiot and doesn't know recruting rules. I knew it when he said it that he was wrong. The reason he apologized was because the head of the SEC came out and said Kiffin is an idiot because he does not know the rules and there was no violation. Further, he told Kiffin to learn the rules because he expects his coaches to know the rules. Maybe he doesn't know the rules, which is why he has been accused about 10 times of violations himself this recruiting term, or maybe (and most likely) he just wanted to take a swipe at the university. Either way, to say they violated a rule they didn't is slanderous and HE was disciplined by the SEC.

and by the way you are looking the wrong way about stealing recruits using illegal means. Like LSU said above, it wasn't just Florida that he pulled some shady things on to steal his own players.
Last edited by deerayfan072 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:08 pm

One more thing on UT. Not sure who saw the article or watched the tape, but on national signing day Kiffin called out a recruit that chose UGA over UT. The player was Marlon Brown (5* WR). Kiffin said that Brown wanted to go to UT, but went to UGA because his grandma didn't like UT. He went on and basically called the kid a grandmama's boy. You can say fine whatever, but not only is it messed up to call a kid out, but maybe he should have inquired into why his g-ma didn't like UT. I can you why. His G-Ma is a very religious and strict lady that has brought her grandson up right and when Ed Orgeron showed up at there house to recruit him he was DRUNK and she could smell alcohol on his breath. Add to the fact that he in her words "cursed like a sailor" while talking with them in their living room, she had a big problem with it. Maybe before you go calling someone out you should check all you facts because this is about the 3rd or 4th time he has said something without looking and it makes him look like an idiot.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Article ranking the teams by conference:

http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=909471
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:51 pm

"Coach Kiffin has violated the Southeastern Conference Code of Ethics," Slive said. "SEC Bylaw 10.5.1 clearly states that coaches and administrators shall refrain from directed public criticism of other member institutions, their staffs or players."

"The phone call to which Coach Kiffin referred to in his public comments is not a violation of SEC or NCAA rules. We expect our coaches to have an understanding and knowledge of conference and NCAA rules."
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:56 pm

LSU brought in one of the elite classes in the country, the best by some accounts, in no small part because of defensive end Sam Montgomery, a late coup wooed by Les Miles' riveting charisma and unfailing energy:

Sam Montgomery, one of the best defensive ends in the nation out of Greenwood, S.C., was on the other line one night recently when Miles was talking but getting little feedback.

The next voice Miles heard was Montgomery's mother: "Coach, I think he's asleep."
[...]
"I was just rambling like a conversation that didn't have any response," Miles said. "And she came on about three minutes into this dialogue that I was having with myself."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf,139593

:-b :-b :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football