Ohio mom sentenced for life - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Ohio mom sentenced for life

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ohio mom sentenced for life

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:23 am

personally i'd rather have the death penalty than spend 50 years or whatever she has left in jail...i think that would suck more

does this story make anyone else think about the old PC/NES game Maniac Mansion that let you microwave a hampster (or guinea pig maybe?) until some partents/PETA/someone complained
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LT Blue Colt » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:59 am

Madison wrote:
knapplc wrote:I don't understand the point of posting a story like this. It's disgusting, there isn't a person at the Cafe who won't think this woman deserves the stiffest penalty their personal beliefs will allow, and it's by no means family-friendly.

There are a bazillion things we can talk about here. Do we really need to post stuff like this? Let's do a little thinking about proper Cafe content next time, huh?

:-?

Nothing wrong with posting this story as far as I'm aware... Sure, it's not puppy dogs and rainbows, but it's not like there are pictures and video of what happened, so there are no issues here.

As to discussion pieces, I find it interesting that she claims to be innocent, yet admits to being too drunk to remember what happened.

Sorry guys for the super disturbing piece. I know it's very on the edge. But, as a parent it just floored me. I didn't really expect a political debate or anything, but I'm a pretty strong believer in NO-death penalty. It's things like this that can persuade me to change my views. And I'm sure strengthen others.

Yeah, Madison. What's even the point of trying to claim innocence? Her responsibility is to the care of her child. Especially a one month old. If something happens to that child, then she is just as responsible for the outcome if she chooses to be under the influence of alcohol. I just couldn't imagine being a juror in this case. I would have had to probably quite with any of the evidence that was presented to me.

I guy I worked with at UPS over the winters had to go down to the federal court for jury duty. It ended up being for 6-10 months every 2nd monday or something on a grand jury. Which if I remember is where they look at evidence and determine if a case should go to court or not. Something like that I think. Anyway, he ended up being on a grand jury that looked at only sexual assault on children type cases. He said it was horrible. I don't know why or how he couldn't get out of it, but I know I would have found someway. Anyway!

Sometimes it's hard to imagine what's out in the world, when you're chillin' it up here in the backwoods.
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Seems this was an interesting thread today. :-b

The situation for me is that removing "she killed her baby in a microwave" would fall under censorship, because I can't justify taking it down (the news is an acceptable show for any 13+ year old to watch, and they say much worse than that nightly). There's worse than that on the boards too. Not to mention censorship is a very slippery slope. We have stories about kids dying in hot cars (for example), so if we take down this one, wouldn't we have to take those stories down as well? And where is the line on acceptable and not? Just too slippery of a slope to travel. If there had been pictures or video, I certainly understand the concern and would agree, but words "she killed her baby in a microwave" just don't seem like material worthy of opening the doors to start censoring things.

LT Blue Colt wrote:Yeah, Madison. What's even the point of trying to claim innocence? Her responsibility is to the care of her child. Especially a one month old. If something happens to that child, then she is just as responsible for the outcome if she chooses to be under the influence of alcohol.

Agreed. I just don't see how she can claim she didn't do it when she doesn't know if she did it or not. I'm glad she "thinks" she wouldn't do something like that, but she cannot claim she didn't do it if she can't remember the night in question.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:44 pm

aaawall91 wrote:eff that.

Disclaimer: I don't want to get into a discussion (read: argument) on the following:

But I would give her the death penalty if I was a judge, she was convicted of the charges, and my state allowed it (not sure if Ohio does...and I have lived here my whole life)

Ohio does allow it...and I'm with you.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:33 pm

Okay, so I came across this and had to post it...

bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:20 pm

Not many more things more horrible than that. This thread is very stomperesque.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk