QB/ WR's... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

QB/ WR's...

Moderator: Football Moderators

QB/ WR's...

Postby psalm37 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:44 pm

I am wondering what the pros and cons are of starting two wide recievers on my fantasy team who would be catching balls from an opposing fantasy team quaterback...Specifically, starting Hank Baskett and Greg Lewis in relation to Donovan Mcnabb. Points wise Wr's get 1pt/reception, 1pt/10 yards, 6/TD and QB's the same. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
psalm37
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: QB/ WR's...

Postby Mr.Joshua » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:33 am

It never makes a difference, always start the best guys on your team instead of trying to 'cancell out' points from your opponents qb.
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby Script-Ohio » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:37 am

Start your best guys but it has a balancing effect - it slightly helps the weaker team IMO. The only time I really worry about it is if, for example, the only guy on the opposing team who I think could kill me is Randy Moss and I'm trying to decide to start Matt Cassel, or say J.T. O'Sullivan as my QB2. I'd start Cassel in that case because it neutralizes Moss's TDs.
If the rest of my team is stronger I should come out on top
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Venom » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:34 pm

Starting your opponents QB WRs has no merit.

There is no gain or loss for either side.

Start your best matchups according to who YOUR guys are playing in the NFL, not who your opponent is starting.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby joejlitz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:00 am

Venom wrote:Starting your opponents QB WRs has no merit.

There is no gain or loss for either side.

Start your best matchups according to who YOUR guys are playing in the NFL, not who your opponent is starting.

First off - if u are thinking of starting G. Lew and Baskett, your team is in trouble, so I hope this is just a strategy thing and you have better options. :-?
Also, McNabb regularly throws TD passes to Westbrook and L.J. Smith, Reggie Brown when healthy (not sure if he is in this week or not) and a host of nobodies. Also, Jackson is emerging. Finally, the Eagles offense works best when McNabb hits 10 different receivers since he doesn't have a go-to guy. Don't do it if you do not have to.

Second, I don't dismiss the overall strategy as quickly. It obviously impacts the end result. I think you ALWAYS go with your best players, regardless of the match-up. But being aware of the ramifications of playing your opponents WR could impact your game plan. More obvious picks are Moss, T.O., Holt, Edwards, and Fitz - go to guys that SHOULD get a TD. In cases like that, I might look at the strength of my overall team vs. the overall strength of my opponent's team and make my decision. Do I need to limit my opponent's points to be successful? Or is my team good enough to win by itself?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Return to Beginner's Forum