Monday Night Football with Mike & Mike and Coach Ditka - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Monday Night Football with Mike & Mike and Coach Ditka

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Monday Night Football with Mike & Mike and Coach Ditka

Postby treat24 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:44 am

Everyone loves to rip on Tony for MNF... it's deserved, but it's too bad he overshadows how absolutely horrible Jaws is. He announces games on his knees with his mouth wide open discussing QBs.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby TheDiplomats » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:29 am

I think Jaws, Tirico, and Kornheiser all need to go. All they talked about the entire first half was Aaron Rodgers playing in Brett Favre's shadow. COMMENT ON THE GAME FFS. I avoid MNF games because of these 3 and I will usually only watch it if the game has fantasy ramifications for me, or if it just looks like a good game.

I thought MNF cast who covered the Denver/Oakland game did a great job.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dmacblue » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:51 pm

I think Jaws, along with Tom Jackson and Hoge is amongst the top 3 on TV ;-D

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby treat24 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:57 pm

dmacblue wrote:I think Jaws, along with Tom Jackson and Hoge is amongst the top 3 on TV ;-D

top 3 what? :-? cuz my dog barks smarter things than jaws :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Old_Style » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:09 pm

Sgt. Apone wrote:I think Ditka and/or Golic as color commentators and Tirico calling the game is something I would like to see, Greeny's fine but I think Mike Tirico is a better play guy, plus he deserves something for working with Kornheiser - to those that might think that 3's a crowd but you might chalk that up to the fact that the Broncs were trouncing the Raiders and they had to fill the airtime with something I suppose

I agree that Tirico is a better play by play man, but chemistry in the booth is key. You can put the best play by play and best color man in a booth and still have a crappy broadcast. I don't know if Ditka/Golic and Tirico would work as well as a Mike and Mike.
The orange faced one had one of the best lines of week one. When talking about the Raiders roster and the ineptitude of the coaching staff, Coach said, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken...." It seemed like Ditka was genuinely angry at how Oakland was performing. :-D

As far as Kornheiser goes, he was a great columnist and decent radio host, but MNF is not one of his shining achievements.
"Jay is our quarterback."
Old_Style
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:51 pm

i didnt like greeny at all as a play by play guy. i listen to them in the morning so i am use to how they all interact, but i felt some excitement taken out during the game. i felt as if he was trying too hard on big plays, like it didnt come naturally. but all the non play by play stuff was good.
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:55 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Sgt. Apone wrote:I think Ditka and/or Golic as color commentators and Tirico calling the game is something I would like to see, Greeny's fine but I think Mike Tirico is a better play guy, plus he deserves something for working with Kornheiser - to those that might think that 3's a crowd but you might chalk that up to the fact that the Broncs were trouncing the Raiders and they had to fill the airtime with something I suppose

I agree that Tirico is a better play by play man, but chemistry in the booth is key. You can put the best play by play and best color man in a booth and still have a crappy broadcast. I don't know if Ditka/Golic and Tirico would work as well as a Mike and Mike.
The orange faced one had one of the best lines of week one. When talking about the Raiders roster and the ineptitude of the coaching staff, Coach said, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken...." It seemed like Ditka was genuinely angry at how Oakland was performing. :-D

As far as Kornheiser goes, he was a great columnist and decent radio host, but MNF is not one of his shining achievements.

I agree 100%, that chemistry makes the whole commentary flow better, mix in Ditka and his one liners and breakdown of the game is awesome, he has a great football mind and I love hearing whatever he has to say...Mike & Mike work great together, I listen or watch their show in the morning all the time, I used to think that commentary wasn't all that important which its not, but its refreshing to have some guys make it all come together...Even when the game was outta hand I caught myself listening to them still, with the normal MNF crew when the game is out of hand they get WAY off topic like a soap opera and talk about the weirdest things, its like man I'd still like to feel like I'm watching a football game here :-?
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mikus » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Ugggh, I like the Mikes, but Ditka at one point started talking about rookie runningbacks and how you never know who will be that good and how long it will take to mature, and then said something to the effect of "Look at that Chris Johnson kid from Tennessee, they got him in the FOURTH round!"

That pissed me off. As the great Mike Gundy would say: Get your facts straight. ;-D
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby The Lung » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:49 pm

shawngee03 wrote:i didnt like greeny at all as a play by play guy. i listen to them in the morning so i am use to how they all interact, but i felt some excitement taken out during the game. i felt as if he was trying too hard on big plays, like it didnt come naturally. but all the non play by play stuff was good.

Took the words out of my mouth.

I listen to Mike & Mike every morning on my way to work and really enjoy Greenie, but I thought his play-by-play was a little forced and annoying.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby dmacblue » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:28 pm

treat24 wrote:
dmacblue wrote:I think Jaws, along with Tom Jackson and Hoge is amongst the top 3 on TV ;-D

top 3 what? :-? cuz my dog barks smarter things than jaws :-b

Haaaaaaaaaayter :-t

Come on now Treat, dont make me mention your cool new sig :-b ;-D

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk