Week 1: Buy Low/Sell High - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Week 1: Buy Low/Sell High

Moderator: Football Moderators

Week 1: Buy Low/Sell High

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Buy Low:

Jamal Lewis - Cleveland's offense had to play catch up most of the game and as a result, Lewis posted modest numbers (76 total yards, 0 TD's). However, he did show that he still is a powerful runner and that the wear and tear of eight seasons in the league has yet to take its toll on him. He averaged almost five yards a carry and, in my opinion, is on track to duplicate last season's numbers as soon as he gets his usual twenty touches a game. If you can't pry him from his owner's hands, you may have more luck next week, as Lewis faces another tough match-up this week against Pittsburgh.

Santonio Holmes- As high-powered as the Steelers offense was on Sunday, it seemed like a fluke that Holmes only had two receptions while Willie Parker and Hines Ward combined for 31 touches and 5 TD's. If Pittsburgh's offense continues to run on all cylinders, Santonio will have a breakout season.

Chad Johnson, Marques Colston, and Braylon Edwards: All three receivers are at the top of their position and all three could come at a very cheap price this week.

Sell High:

Selvin Young- Sure, 36 yards and a touchdown doesn't usually count as "high," but Selvin's garbage time TD did make him more productive than a slew of other RB's during Week 1. Hopefully you can dump him off on an unsuspecting owner who (unconscionably) didn't watch the game. Monday night's game confirmed our darkest fears: that Mike Shanahan is still Mike Shanahan.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Week 1: Buy Low/Sell High

Postby MiniDitka » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:14 pm

I don't know what the consesus is around the fantasy world, but I think a big sell high is Michael Turner. He is coming off a monster week against a poor defense. I just feel that other teams are going to gameplan to stop the run against the Falcons and force Ryan to beat them. And the line will not be able to hold up throughout the year.

Personally I am trying to shop him around for a more proven fantasy option that is coming off of a mediocre week. I saw some threads on the trade board saying that he is going for guys like Addai and SJax. Just seems a little ridiculous to me.
MiniDitka
Water Boy
Water Boy

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:39 pm

Turner is definitely a sell high candidate in redraft leagues. The rest of his schedule is brutal for RB:

Tampa Bay
Kansas City
Carolina
Green Bay
Chicago
Philadelphia
Oakland
New Orleans
Denver
Carolina
San Diego
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Minnesota
St. Louis

That's not looking good for many more 220 yard games, at least not until week 17 when most playoffs are over.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:48 pm

knapplc wrote:Turner is definitely a sell high candidate in redraft leagues. The rest of his schedule is brutal for RB:

Tampa Bay
Kansas City
Carolina
Green Bay
Chicago
Philadelphia
Oakland
New Orleans
Denver
Carolina
San Diego
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Minnesota
St. Louis

That's not looking good for many more 220 yard games, at least not until week 17 when most playoffs are over.

Geeze that is brutal. 8-o

Man I dunno if he'll make to week 17. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby MiniDitka » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:53 pm

knapplc wrote:Turner is definitely a sell high candidate in redraft leagues. The rest of his schedule is brutal for RB:

Tampa Bay
Kansas City
Carolina
Green Bay
Chicago
Philadelphia
Oakland
New Orleans
Denver
Carolina
San Diego
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Minnesota
St. Louis

Wow, that definitely makes him a sell high. Hopefully my trade for a solid WR goes through.. ;-D
MiniDitka
Water Boy
Water Boy

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:56 pm

Metroid wrote:

Tough Schedule

Geeze that is brutal. 8-o

Man I dunno if he'll make to week 17. :-b

This is one of the reasons I didn't draft him in any leagues. I think Atlanta has done pretty well running the ball over the past couple of years, but even with a good RB (which I think Turner is) and a good O-Line, that's a LOT of rough defenses to run against.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:00 pm

Turner did look real nice but like knapp said...it was versus the Lions. The Lions could make me look like a pretty good RB/WR on offense.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jaytizy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:18 pm

So what would you guys consider the cut off line when selling Turner high? Lynch and Portis? Am i wrong to assume that despite the rough schedule he's still a better option than guys like Jacobs, Lewis and LJ?
jaytizy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:45 pm

jaytizy wrote:So what would you guys consider the cut off line when selling Turner high? Lynch and Portis? Am i wrong to assume that despite the rough schedule he's still a better option than guys like Jacobs, Lewis and LJ?

Jamal Lewis doesn't have a particularly easy schedule, either. Their's goes:

Dallas
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Cincy
Giants
Washington
Jacksonville
Baltimore
Denver
Buffalo
Houston
Indianapolis
Tennessee
Philadelphia
Cincy
Pittsburgh

Another tough schedule on RB. If you can trade Jamal Lewis, do it NOW.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:12 pm

jaytizy wrote:So what would you guys consider the cut off line when selling Turner high? Lynch and Portis? Am i wrong to assume that despite the rough schedule he's still a better option than guys like Jacobs, Lewis and LJ?

i would take any of those guys over Turner, with the possible exception of Lewis
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk