What Is Your Favorite Size League and Why? Opine Away. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What Is Your Favorite Size League and Why? Opine Away.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What Is Your Favorite Size League and Why? Opine Away.

Postby TomBrooklyn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Retet wrote:I like 10 teams. I've played in both 12 and 8 team leagues. But I like 10 the best. The waiver wire has a few quality options, but not too many (as in an 8 team league). And you can start a quality player at each position (more or less). Twelve-team leagues, I've found, rely a little too much on fliers and lucky days from mediocre players. Again, nothing bad. I've had a lot of fun in 12-team leagues, I just prefer 10.

Hi,
Are you figuring teams based on QB, RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR, TE?

Is that the defacto standard most people would be referring to?
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:44 pm

TomBrooklyn wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:I prefer leagues of 12 with 25+ roster spots

That's a lot of spots. How do you like them allocated?

Honestly it doesn't matter too much as long as I can start at least: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE. The rest I don't really care about, I just love depth...I love to load up on sleepers and potential players, I don't like there to be guys on the waiver wire before week 1 that have a lot of upside. I think owners should be forced to draft deep, which takes more skill, and prepare for all possibilities.

Also, I find when you have owners who can continue to care about a draft and each pick they have after round 20ish they are usually good owners, stay with the league longer, more reliable, and overall smarter FF players.

So I see it as a test to my knowledge and my league mates.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:19 pm

I'm a fan of digging deeper into the WW myself. My favorite league is 14 teams and at the end of that draft we had a number of people wanting to go more rounds. I believe that is a testament of how savvy your league is that they *know* there are good players out on the WW when we've already gone 210 players deep.

On the other hand, I've been in drafts where it was 10 teams that go 15 rounds and people were looking at me funny by the end of it wondering who the hell half of my team was. There were people really saying during the draft "Who is that? What position does he play? What team is he on?" when it was seriously in the 9th round. This league I dominate, and while I enjoy money I never give this league too much attention because I know I can basically dial it in and end up in the playoffs. If we did this for nothing I wouldn't even play because it's not that fun kicking the crap out of these guys.

Regardless of the number of teams I think the best drafts go 200+ players deep where the owners are still taking quality players.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:25 pm

aaawall91 wrote:
TomBrooklyn wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:I prefer leagues of 12 with 25+ roster spots

That's a lot of spots. How do you like them allocated?

Honestly it doesn't matter too much as long as I can start at least: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE. The rest I don't really care about, I just love depth...I love to load up on sleepers and potential players, I don't like there to be guys on the waiver wire before week 1 that have a lot of upside. I think owners should be forced to draft deep, which takes more skill, and prepare for all possibilities.

Also, I find when you have owners who can continue to care about a draft and each pick they have after round 20ish they are usually good owners, stay with the league longer, more reliable, and overall smarter FF players.

So I see it as a test to my knowledge and my league mates.

This pretty much sums up my feelings, I love 12 teams but I like bigger benches for sleepers and potential players, its not that big of a problem because we have done 14 team leagues with no problems so 12 with larger benches is ideal...I'm not even wasting my time on 10 team leagues, every single team looks stacked no matter how they drafted, and its too much based on luck, everyone has studs, and the sleepers really are not that big of a deal because everyone has elite position players, if an injury happens you have all kinds of talent available...

I have done a few 20 team leagues that are all out war, but I only do a few of those just for the rush and the challenge, but 12 is just right.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Flyn high again » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:57 pm

10 or 12 are the best. With 10, you don't get as many trades but you do get the pleasure of loading up your roster with quality players and sweating who to drop when bye weeks come around and you need a DEF or K. It's a lot harder to drop someone with potential like Pierre Thomas or Sammy Morris than it is to drop a mediocre player.

12 has more trades and you rely a little more on your studs staying healthy. Not as many guys out there to replace them as with the 10 league.

One additional point I'd like to make. I HATE free leagues. Money leagues generally attract guys who have at least a basic knowledge of what is happening in football. Free leagues can be filled with idiots who thought signing up was a great idea but then they quit when they are 1-5. For instance, in my son's free league, one guy drafted Brady in the 3rd round. Their draft was postponed until this past Monday because another guy hadn't bothered to sign up on time and they had an odd number and couldn't draft. By Monday, the entire football world should have known Brady was done. Sheesh.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:06 pm

i prefer 10 or 12.

10 is fun because you get quite a few studs players and its fun putting up more points each week.

12 is fun because you still get a lot of good players, but there are enough people that you still need to think when drafting depth.

when you start geting into 14+ plus leagues, you are looking more at luck because if your stars get hurt, the WW will punish you because it will be pretty dry.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MrTwo94 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:11 pm

TomBrooklyn wrote:
MrTwo94 wrote:12 team is almost mandatory. Anything less is bush league.
Would it follow that for a league designed for beginners, less than 12 teams might be a good thing?

MrTwo94 wrote:Another key factor is bench spots. 6+ is important. If you play a 10 team league w/5 bench spots, it doesn't matter how you drafted. Quality players will be all over the free agent market...
Again, would you say a small bench might be a good setup for a league designed for beginners/those not too familiar with NFL players.

MrTwo94 wrote:I'm in a 12 team league w/only 5 bench spots. Absolutely no point in drafting a defense. Each team can only carry one so you just play matchups.
Is that necessarily a bad thing? Motivated owners who study matchups will be rewarded compared to those that aren't as ambitious and just sit with one D/ST.

MrTwo94 wrote:I'm in a 12 team league w/only 5 bench spots...You can't afford to handcuff, either. Silly.
I don't understand how the bench size affects this.

Also, how many offensive roster starting positions are you figuring on each team? Are you assuming ESPN Standard league?...QB, RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR, TE. If you threw in WR/TE and OP (offensive player, any), would you say a 10 team league becomes like the 12 team league you were discussing?

Some teams might use QB, RB, RB, WE, TE

You are exactly right. Smaller leagues with shallow benches are a good way for noobs to get their feet wet. But that is why I say those leagues are bush league. No sense in playing them after you know what you are doing and don't have to rely on free agents and waivers to fill your team.

As for the defenses, it doesn't bother me but yeah, it is kind of a bad thing. You are eliminating one aspect of drafting. You don't have to worry about drafting a decent combo of defenses. It's not even an option. It's just silly.

The number of bench spots affects your ability to handcuff because it hurts your team to waste a spot on a non-producing player. Bench spots are a premium and the league is shallow due to the bench spots, so you either have to leave quality players on the draft board and draft a guy who likely won't play, or you play it safe and take your handcuff, allowing others to have that quality player you passed on. Bush league. Like some people are saying, deep drafts are the shiznit. You've got to know what you are doing.

You are correct that adding positions does thin the league out a bit but if you add a position to a 10 team league, then 10 more players are being drafted. Assuming just 5 bench spots, a full team would have 15 players on it, so your league now feels like a 10.67 team league. Even less if there are more bench spots. So you'd really have to add 3 spots to make a 10 team league feel about like a 12 team league as far as the draft goes.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby spodog » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:20 pm

good thread.

Redraft Leagues
I think for good, competitive, re-draft money leagues 12 or 14 is perfect. You still have to work hard at your draft and during the season to keep a good team available. 8 or 10 team leagues are ok for a group that is just starting out or trying to learn the game, but they are too small for experienced players.

Keeper
I've always thought a great keeper + salary cap league structure would be to have 32 teams. Each team would be assigned an NFL team, and would be placed in that NFL team's Conference and Division. They would also play the schedule of that NFL team (modified slightly to account for a 13 or 14 week fantasy season vs. 17 week NFL season). Obviously, this is a much tougher format, and rosters would go much deeper into the NFL rosters than most leagues. Decisions on keepers, cutting, etc would also cause you to stop and think about the future in a way most leagues don't. Over time, assuming decent owner stability, rivalries within Divisions could develop similar to how they exist in the NFL, with 2 H2H games against Div opponents being a given every year.

Another twist this type of league could adopt would be to allow the annual draft to be open to any college player, not just incoming NFL rookies. If a fantasy team wants to stretch and draft a Sophmore QB at a major school who they think is the next Dan Marino, then they would be free to do that, burning up a roster spot that they know would not get them any points until that player actually makes it to the NFL.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:14 am

Number of teams in the league is less than half the equation. The real question is how many players are drafted overall. You can have a 14-team league with 10 roster spots be more shallow than a 10-team league with 15.

Talking about one without the other just doesn't make any sense.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 2ksports » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:38 am

I'm in a 10-team 15-rounder every single year. There's always good pickups on the WW. I think 1 more round may be necessary. 10team 16rd, or 12team 15rd.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk