Colston's value after 4-6 weeks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Colston's value after 4-6 weeks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Colston's value after 4-6 weeks

Postby $ » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:13 am

With Colston's torn ligament in his thumb... how good/effective will he be after he comes back from surgery?
What do you all think?

I, unfortunately, might be on the losing side of a trade now. Traded for Colston and gave up Tavaris Jackson and Ted Ginn (the other guy's team had absolutely NO starting QBs! - 12 team league, 2 QBs starting each week). The trade sort of helped both of us out before... now I might get ripped off.
So yeah... if this trade does go through, how good will Colston be when he returns?
$
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Colston's value after 4-6 weeks

Postby mikus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:18 am

I think he will be OK. As long as he can catch the ball and not have any pain in the hand. The legs will be fine, he will be able to work out and stay in shape for football, so the hand has to be pain-free. I think he would be a nice target now for trade if you can get him really cheap, because he should not miss a beat when he gets back. Just like Steven Jackson last year.

Buy low.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby $ » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:40 am

you think that trade is ok then? Right now its out for the jury to decide (league to veto the trade).

I guess it sorta sucks for me now but if he's ok in the later weeks, then I guess it'd be fine.

My roster:
--
12 Team H2H League (QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, RB, TE, TE, K, K, DEF, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN)
--
QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler
WR: Roy Williams, Eddie Royal, Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson
RB: Marion Barber, Jamal Lewis, Ray Rice
TE: Jason Witten, Heath Miller
K: Josh Brown, Robbie Gould
DEF: Seattle, Philadelphia
BN: Tarvaris Jackson, Tim Hightower, Pierre Thomas, Ted Ginn Jr.
$
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mikus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:13 pm

It certainly will not help you now, but I think you sold high on Jackson and Ginn and got a steal in Colston. He should easily be your WR1 when he gets back.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Colston is a sell to me.

Give him up to the owner that thinks he will be a playoff force when he comes back so you get SOME value for the next two months when 60% of the fantasy schedule is being played.

I've read that with Colston's injury, the hand is immobilized for at least 4 weeks, and then rehab starts and can be completed in 2 more weeks (the 4-6 week range), but full function takes as much as three months to return. We're looking at a guy who in all likelihood will not be 100% for the rest of the year, who is all but guaranteed to miss 50+% of the fantasy season, and who may be eased back in when he returns depending on how bad New Orleans needs him.

Trade him right now for an unheralded player and cash in on the name value and draft position while it is still fresh in peoples' minds.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:21 pm

TO played with a torn ligament in his ring finger (right hand IIRC) in 2006 and his stats were still pretty good. I'm not overly worried about Colston after he comes back from injury. If you do want to try and trade him, Colston's value is probably very low right now...if your plans are to part with him anyway, I would wait a week or two and scout out an owner who is having trouble with his WRs and may be feeling he needs Colston's return to boost his team for the 2nd half of the season.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flyn high again » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:03 pm

I'm waiting to see if his owner panics and drops him. [Hey, it could happen...LOL!]

I thought about offering Tory Holt for Colston after Holt's abysmal first week but would hate myself if Holt and St. Louis manage to play 100% better in upcoming weeks. If Holt has another poor/mediocre week, he will be offered for Colston. That's better than benching Holt and having him take a roster spot for the year. Colston MAY rehab in time to make some playoff noise. He's a gamble with potential high upside.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby siQ_innovation » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:35 pm

I'm thinking Colston should be fine when he returns. You figure if we returns in 6 weeks, he should be slated to start week 7 or 8 and New Orleans has a bye in week 9 so if his return seemed a bit premature, then then that bye-week can give him that extra time to get back to his old self and then he'll be back to his old self. While he's on the shelf though, if you need some extra help at WR, you can look to Henderson, Patten, and Meachem. I personally like Meachem's upside because he had a pretty sick preseason and seems excited to get playing time in week 2.
siQ_innovation
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby phaedrus » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:26 am

You can't compare an injury to the thumb and the ring finger. They aren't even close in severity.
phaedrus
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:46 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:TO played with a torn ligament in his ring finger (right hand IIRC) in 2006 and his stats were still pretty good. I'm not overly worried about Colston after he comes back from injury. If you do want to try and trade him, Colston's value is probably very low right now...if your plans are to part with him anyway, I would wait a week or two and scout out an owner who is having trouble with his WRs and may be feeling he needs Colston's return to boost his team for the 2nd half of the season.

I disagree. I scout a team with STRONG WRs that has the luxury of putting a guy like Colston on the bench. And I think the longer you wait (1-3 weeks) the LESS value Colston will have. Colston's value only starts to go up as he gets closer to playing again and by that point you wouldn't be getting fair value.

The point to trading Colston now is to capitalize on his value while he is still missing those games. That way even if you end up with an inferior talent in the end "likely", the added value you got from him playing in games the first 5,6,8 weeks or whatever makes it a smart trade. It's week 2 right now. Week 4 rolls around and news come out that Colston should return in 3-4 weeks within the expected timetable, what do you do then? You've already waited 2 or 3 games using probably the best option you could pluck from the wire, do you sell now for the same value you could have gotten in week 2, or do you hang on and suck it up. Because right now sucking it up does not look like a smart move to me.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk