Colston's value after 4-6 weeks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Colston's value after 4-6 weeks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Colston's value after 4-6 weeks

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:16 am

AllDay wrote:
Mr. Moose wrote:Colston catches the ball with his hands as good as anybody in the league. I would think the thumb plays a pretty big role when hauling in a pass the way he does. If he was like the other 90% of the receivers in the league that catch the ball with their bodies I don't think the injury would hinder him as badly. But, I'm not so sure that he's gonna be effective going out there if he has to compensate for his sore/weak thumb by catching the ball with his body... that's not his style. That being said, I'm with the guys who think he is going to struggle if he comes back before he is 100%. So, yea he might be able to come back week 7 or 8 but I don't see him being 100% healthy, and therefore productive, until at least week 10 considering a week 9 bye. If you can make the playoffs with him on your bench then it's definitely worth saving a spot for him, cuz he should blow-up during fantasy playoffs ;-D

So now in addition to being out longer than the 4-6 week timeframe presented, Colston is also a member of that rare 10% of WR that really needs their thumb to catch passes.

Wow. I guess you should just go ahead and drop Colston then. He'll be out forever and even when he returns he'll be more affected by the thumb than any other WR would be.

Forget about 4-6 weeks, it's now 9 or 10 weeks and even then they'll ease him back him in - just because some poster says so and other sheep baaa in agreement.

His post was a lot more useful than yours. He considered the pros, the cons, the possibilities, with some support. But I guess over the top generalizations and thoughtless banter are cooler...
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:52 am

Any way you slice it, the prognostication about how he'll play on his return is all BS. Everyone's opinion on when he'll come back, and how well he'll play when he comes back... it's all wasted breath. It doesn't matter how you feel "he catches with his hands." No offense, but I'm going to want to hear this stuff from the team, or from the player, or from a physical therapist that works with NFL players, or else it's just straight garbage. I can understand why you guys are debating when he'll return, and I can understand making a decision, for yourselves, about what quality of play he'll give when he does return, but as soon as you want to debate with each other about who is right and who is wrong... which one of you is really qualified to even have an opinion that is worth truly debating on the matter?
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sirchadwick1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:17 am

FatFoot wrote:Any way you slice it, the prognostication about how he'll play on his return is all BS. Everyone's opinion on when he'll come back, and how well he'll play when he comes back... it's all wasted breath. It doesn't matter how you feel "he catches with his hands." No offense, but I'm going to want to hear this stuff from the team, or from the player, or from a physical therapist that works with NFL players, or else it's just straight garbage. I can understand why you guys are debating when he'll return, and I can understand making a decision, for yourselves, about what quality of play he'll give when he does return, but as soon as you want to debate with each other about who is right and who is wrong... which one of you is really qualified to even have an opinion that is worth truly debating on the matter?

Best post I've read so far here.

A guy in my league is offering me Colston for Crayton straight up. I only have 5 bench spots and 2 WR's there and we're in a 12-team standard league. My other WR's are strong so I'm considering picking up Colston to sit on my bench. What do you guys think? Should I go for it. I'm 2-0 so far and in 2nd place.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mikus » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:21 am

sirchadwick1 wrote:Best post I've read so far here.

A guy in my league is offering me Colston for Crayton straight up. I only have 5 bench spots and 2 WR's there and we're in a 12-team standard league. My other WR's are strong so I'm considering picking up Colston to sit on my bench. What do you guys think? Should I go for it. I'm 2-0 so far and in 2nd place.

I traded for Colston and he is sitting on my bench behind Owens, Welker and Meachem. I also am 2 - 0 in a 12-teamer, and I would suggest you do it. I think he will be worth it down the stretch this season, and you already have two wins under your belt. He could help during the late-season push and especially during the playoffs.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Mr. Moose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:45 am

AllDay wrote:So now in addition to being out longer than the 4-6 week timeframe presented, Colston is also a member of that rare 10% of WR that really needs their thumb to catch passes.

I'm no biology expert but I do know one advantage humans have over almost every other mammal, opposable thumbs. Guys like, Colston and Fitzy, use them to catch footballs all day long. And yes, they are in the minority when it comes to the way they snatch the ball out of the air with their hands. Because of that, I believe any lingering issues with the thumb will hurt his performance more than it would a guy like, Randy Moss, who catches most passes with his body.
AllDay wrote:Wow. I guess you should just go ahead and drop Colston then. He'll be out forever and even when he returns he'll be more affected by the thumb than any other WR would be.

Actually that would be silly to drop Colston, I would love to have him on my team in the FF playoffs because barring a setback he is going to be healthy and he is a beast when he is. I'm 2-0 in all of my leagues so I will be shopping around for him because I think I can coast to playoffs with him on my bench and hopefully he can help win me a title come playoff time.
AllDay wrote:Forget about 4-6 weeks, it's now 9 or 10 weeks and even then they'll ease him back him in - just because some poster says so and other sheep baaa in agreement.

Everyone has there own crystal ball, mines telling me not to expect anything big until week 10, I think he'll see the field before that but I don't see him being himself until week 10. I think your's said he was gonna go for 150 and two TD's week 7. The fact of the matter is it's really anyones guess when he starts putting up studly numbers again.

Overall, I think the only thing that most everyone agrees on is that if you feel your team can make it to the playoffs without him than he would definitely be worth trading for or keeping on your bench until he is healthy.
Last edited by Mr. Moose on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Moose
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:49 am

Mr. Moose wrote:I'm no biology expert but I do know one advantage humans have over almost every other mammal, imposable thumbs.

LOL ;-)
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby mikus » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:45 am

Mr. Moose wrote:I'm no biology expert but I do know one advantage humans have over almost every other mammal, imposable thumbs.

Imposable thumbs??? Really? ;-)

The grammar police say: Try opposable. ;-D
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby sirchadwick1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:07 pm

I bit the bullet and traded Crayton for Colston.

The guy needed someone immediately to replace him for this week... and didn't bother to go for someone of higher value.

I didn't think that Marques' value would hit this low... but it did so I ran with it.

Hopefully he produces by week 10 and I'll be a happy dude.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mr. Moose » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:57 pm

mikus wrote:Imposable thumbs??? Really? ;-)

The grammar police say: Try opposable. ;-D

LOL! Yea, when it comes to vocabulary I'm like Tom Cruise when he got eye implants, so he blindly grabbed the moldy sandwich and curdled milk out of the fridge instead of a tasty treat. But my motto has always been: "It's OK to vomit once in a while, just don't make a habit of it." :-S

Thanks for the correction. ;-D
Mr. Moose
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AllDay » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:57 am

Well, well.

Disposable thumbs or no it looks like Colston could be returning a bit earlier than expected.

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/10/new_orleans_saints_oct_8_pract.html

Finally, some good news on the injury front. Receiver Marques Colston and tight end Jeremy Shockey were both back in practice on a limited basis. They should still be considered questionable for Sunday's game against Oakland, but Coach Sean Payton said he was more optimistic than earlier in the week.

"I was pleased with what I saw today, and I saw more than I expected to see," Payton said. "Both of them actually took reps and moved around pretty good. You know, we'll see tomorrow how they feel, especially when it comes to Jeremy. But Marques looked good."

Both players did look pretty fluid during the individual drills that were open to the media. Colston was catching balls with only a small amount of padding on his surgically-repaired thumb. If he feels comfortable catching the ball, he should definitely be able to go, unless trainers are worried about a setback.

Congrats on those who ignored the 'gloom and doom' scenarios and bought low.

That's weird it was Crayton traded for some of you guys. I traded Crayton for Andre Johnson last year when he was hurt and that worked out pretty well for me. Hope you see similar results.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk