The Legend that was the Cincinnati Bengals - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Legend that was the Cincinnati Bengals

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The Legend that was the Cincinnati Bengals

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:26 am

Is it just me, or does Carson Palmer seem worse and worse every single year he is in the league.

I understand Cincinnati sports one of the worst run franchises in the NFL and their string of luck was bound to end, but it seems to me like Carson Palmer was and is one of the main contributors to their decline. The decline started after he tore his ACL in the playoffs.Up to that point they were basically unstoppable on offense. The next year he rushed himself back onto the field and was ready to play early in the season. Or was he? One play in week 1 of that season stands out in my mind still to this day. Carson Palmer failed to step into a throw to Chad Johnson on a slant route were Ocho had the CB beat by 5 yards. That pass should have been an easy TD, it was a sure TD, and a throw every NFL QB has to make. Palmer short hopped the ball. Palmer really has never been the same since that injury. Seems like he lost a lot of accuracy and he does not play with a swagger anymore. He doesn't test defenses downfield the same way he used to and he gets by almost entirely on his WRs talent at this point.

You've seen Palmer turn Houshmanzedah into his #1 most dependable target. Housh is the possession WR, the guy you look to to make critical plays. But now Housh has become almost the goto guy. Housh has become so much of a staple that the big play threat in Chad Johnson is basically gone. Defenses no longer respect Palmer and they blitz him with almost no fear that he will throw into the blitz. Wanna know why Ocho is acting out? Palmer has basically turned Chad Johnson into a possession WR... Now that Cincinnati cut ties to Rudi Johnson (and a slew of other players who should still be on the team) they are left with could-bes and backups running the football. The O-line that used to be a big strength of the team is falling apart. Where is the threat that this offense used to possess? It's gone. The defense was never good. Dude got his nose broke before the season even started. Does he get respond with a big game and get even? No he throws up the worst game of his career.

Marvin Lewis is my candidate for first coach to get fired and I think it should happen before the season is out. The man is stupid. He divides the locker room, makes idiotic statements about his players, and he turns back on his word like a chump. And Carson Palmer is this guys biggest proponent! Carson Palmer is riding Marvin Lewis' bus to the end of the world and everyone else on the team has already noticed that the bus has flat tires and the driver is drunk. The season is already over. The only other team you can really say that about right now at this moment is the Detroit Lions. What's worse, they only have to deal with a stupid GM, Marvin Lewis is the guy forming the gameplans. That right there is just demoralizing.

I really don't understand how you can look at Carson Palmer anymore and see an elite QB. I don't even see a GOOD QB. You see Housh, you see Chad, you see Chris Henry back on the team, but you just don't see Carson Palmer.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:03 pm

Marvin Lewis is my candidate for first coach to get fired and I think it should happen before the season is out. The man is stupid. He divides the locker room, makes idiotic statements about his players, and he turns back on his word like a chump. And Carson Palmer is this guys biggest proponent! Carson Palmer is riding Marvin Lewis' bus to the end of the world and everyone else on the team has already noticed that the bus has flat tires and the driver is drunk. The season is already over. The only other team you can really say that about right now at this moment is the Detroit Lions. What's worse, they only have to deal with a stupid GM, Marvin Lewis is the guy forming the gameplans. That right there is just demoralizing.

Hey, as a Lions fan I am a staunch supporter of NimRod Marinelli being the first head coach fired. This will be a real battle of witlessness as both boob GMs decide if their coaches should keep their jobs. I give Marvin the edge to get fired becuase his team has higher expectations and there is a fued existing between Lewis and the FO.
You want demoralizing, consider that in Lionsland village idiot GM Matt Millen hasn't even started to seperate himself from his over-matched head coach. So his job is safe. Now that is demoralizing.

As for the end of the Bengals high powered era, there is still hope. Henry will return and has skills to stretch D, which should help TJ get more open looks. Oucho Cinco's shoulder injury is a concern and he may never return to the WR formally known as CJ. What will help Carson to will be that around the time that Henry comes back Chris Perry should be hurt and Watson will be featured. He seemed to be the best back in Cincy last season so the O can pick up. The D should remain in a state of suckage forcing the O to run to try and keep the D off the field and passing alot once the D gets shredded. So while Cincy time as a playoff calibler team has passed, they still should have fantasy value.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:06 pm

moochman wrote:

Hey, as a Lions fan I am a staunch supporter of NimRod Marinelli being the first head coach fired. This will be a real battle of witlessness as both boob GMs decide if their coaches should keep their jobs. I give Marvin the edge to get fired becuase his team has higher expectations and there is a fued existing between Lewis and the FO.
You want demoralizing, consider that in Lionsland village idiot GM Matt Millen hasn't even started to seperate himself from his over-matched head coach. So his job is safe. Now that is demoralizing.

As for the end of the Bengals high powered era, there is still hope. Henry will return and has skills to stretch D, which should help TJ get more open looks. Oucho Cinco's shoulder injury is a concern and he may never return to the WR formally known as CJ. What will help Carson to will be that around the time that Henry comes back Chris Perry should be hurt and Watson will be featured. He seemed to be the best back in Cincy last season so the O can pick up. The D should remain in a state of suckage forcing the O to run to try and keep the D off the field and passing alot once the D gets shredded. So while Cincy time as a playoff calibler team has passed, they still should have fantasy value.

At least Marinelli is a good guy even if he doesn't know what he is doing. Marvin Lewis is a dumbass with a big mouth.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:08 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
moochman wrote:

At least Marinelli is a good guy even if he doesn't know what he is doing. Marvin Lewis is a dumbass with a big mouth.

LOL You got me there, Kensat. ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:57 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
moochman wrote:

i'd still rather have Marvin than Marinelli (who's basically a glorified HS Football Coach...i'm not even sure his schtick would work in college)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby vincentvega722 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:09 pm

That offensive line looks horrible. I have Palmer as my starting QB in 2 leagues so I'm cautiously optimistic that things will return to normal for the Bengals. Chris Henry will come back but I'm not counting him as a savior.
“Cause there's only one reason for doing anything that you set out to do. If you don't want to be the best, then there's no reason going out and trying to accomplish anything. ”
- Joe Montana
vincentvega722
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby fantasizing » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:17 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Is it just me, or does Carson Palmer seem worse and worse every single year he is in the league.

One thing that has definately changed since his injury is his low completion percentage. He was very accurate and his completion percentage was quite high prior to the injury. It does still seem he is lacking a bit of confidence in his knee, and maybe he is not as mentally tough as we thought he was. I dunno. And ur right, the swagger he once had is completely gone. He used to own the football field, like a general ready to attack at will.

However, I don't know if you can say that he is completely busting. I thought last season was a horrible season for him, and yet when you look at the stats (>4000 yds, and 26 TDs), it doesn't seem so bad.

Palmer had alot of success early in his career, and he set the bar very high, as did our expectations of him.
We expected without a doubt that he would become the next P. Manning, and it hasn't materialized.

Maybe its the -O-Line, maybe its his own confidence. WHo knows, but hopefully, it can turn around fast.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Azrael » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:43 pm

The team is definitely the worst it's been in awhile. They aren't going to stop anybody. He will probably have stats just because they will be throwing so much from being down. Last year he threw it 55 more times than he ever had. So Palmer may still throw for over 4,000 yds and 25 TDs but I bet his INTs are up again. Last year he had 7 multi-INT games. I'd expect similar stats to last year if he isn't killed first.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Spyder » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:51 am

Look the latest iteration of the Bengal, say 2003 to present, which would be the combination of Marvin, Carson, Chad, and TJ has been mediocre at best. They are 42 and 38 (regular season) in that span and if you discount the 2005 season then they are actually a sub .500 team. In my personal opinion the blame lye's on Marvin Lewis for not being able to rangle in some renegade personalities. Back on the topic of fantasy, you can not count on Bengals players for consistency so if that's what your looking for then go somewhere else. I think the best player on the team to take is Shayne Graham. in my opinion hes the most consistent fantasy player on the team.
[url][URL=http://news.webshots.com/photo/1013455361027760507AYCzNJZSci]Image[/url][/url]
Spyder
Monday Morning Quarterback

Previous

Return to Football Talk