Free Agent RBs - Shaun Alexander and Cedric Benson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Free Agent RBs - Shaun Alexander and Cedric Benson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Free Agent RBs - Shaun Alexander and Cedric Benson

Postby Armchair Quarterback » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:03 pm

Week one is officially in the books and former "stud" running backs Shaun Alexander and Cedric Benson are still homeless with no guaranteed salaries. Because of this, coupled with injuries and general ineffectiveness, we may see NFL teams taking chances in the near future. So, who's following suit and rolling the dice with these guys in fantasy...? Chances are they both have higher potential value than anything still sitting on your league's waiver wire...

Thoughts on where Alexander/Benson might end up, when, and what type of numbers you'd expect...? Do/will either have a spot on your roster? :-?
Armchair Quarterback
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Free Agent RBs - Shaun Alexander and Cedric Benson

Postby waterproof » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Over the hill. Let them sit on the wire.
waterproof
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:21 pm

Alexander's best chance at a job right now is in Cincy, which chances are make him the #1 back, and the type of back that fits best in our system, and makes Perry the compliment he should be. His value is about at where Perry's is now if he gets picked up.

Benson I've heard rumored the Texans? I'm really not sure how that would go, but I would put his value if picked up right around Chris Taylor's now.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:40 pm

the only place shaun alexander could go and have any sort of success would be the vikings. even i could run behind that line :-b . but seriously, SA is garbage, i wouldnt want him on my team even if he did get picked up by someone. stick a fork in him, he is done. ;-)

benson im sure will get picked up somewhere. he seems like a more likely candidate for the bengals as they like to recruit people of lesser moral values. :-B
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flyn high again » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Chicago resident here. IMHO, Benson is also garbage. I haven't liked him since he held out in training camp. Too many injuries and not enough skills to make him a worthwhile pick up. The Bears dropping him was strongly favored in Chicago.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MrTwo94 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:14 pm

The Texans were planning on giving Benson a look yesterday but I read today that they did not. I think it was just going to be a due diligence type thing anyway. I don't expect us to sign him.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Armchair Quarterback » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:16 pm

FWIW...

Bart Scott, LB, Baltimore Ravens (December, 2007) wrote:"Has Shaun Alexander lost a step? I think they were saying the same thing about that about a guy like that was once in Baltimore, who's now having a great season in Cleveland [Jamal Lewis]. I heard that story before. I'm not buying that piece of cheese."

A fair point when you think about it...
Armchair Quarterback
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby fantasizing » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Alexander in Cincy would be horrible. Cincy needs a speedster, a gamebreaker who can take it to the house every time he touches the ball. Not a grinder who tippy toes for 1-2 yards on every carry. He's no better than Rudi was.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby biju » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Cedric Benson might have another year or two as a backup somewhere, but he'll never be a starter in the NFL without a couple of injuries. I think he might have even already played his last down. The guy just never looked like an NFL back.

Shaun Alexander on the other hand has shown capable when given a good O-line and for teams that struggle at the goal line I can't imagine why they wouldn't pick him up. Even when he completely sucked last year he could still manage to get into the end zone inside the 5. Keep this in mind too: SA turned fat cat after he was given his huge contract. If some team told him he's playing for the league minimum and they might sign him to a long term deal in the offseason (basically lie) maybe he'd show up again...

8-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Armchair Quarterback » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:32 pm

biju wrote:Keep this in mind too: SA turned fat cat after he was given his huge contract. If some team told him he's playing for the league minimum and they might sign him to a long term deal in the offseason (basically lie) maybe he'd show up again...

8-o

Danny O'Neil, Seattle Times wrote:Yet the man who has scored more touchdowns than all but 12 people in NFL history has struggled to find work and told The Associated Press on Friday he'd play for a minimum salary.

Source: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/d ... eil07.html

Jim Moore, Seattle Post Intelligencer wrote:"He'll play for anyone at any price. "Salary never mattered to me," Alexander said. "Even in Seattle, I thought the stuff I did, I'll be reimbursed for. Whatever the contract is, it will work out in the end."

Source: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/378 ... ource=mypi
Armchair Quarterback
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk