911 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 911

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Madison wrote: <snip> ... I wish them all strength on this day of rememberance, as while even I get choked up in memory of that day's events, I know it must pale in comparison to the emotions and feelings many other people are going through today. I will never forget. :,-(

X2. I remember that morning as clearly as if it had happened today. I was fortunate enough not to have family/friends killed or injured in the attacks or in the heroic efforts to rescue victims in the aftermath. It shames me to feel 'lucky' about that and I reproach myself for the selfish insensitivity of that emotion in regard to those who lost loved ones. Never forget, always remember, the victims and the heroes.

Much empathy and love for the victims and their survivors, and for the fine people who were tasked to deal with the aftermath. All my heart to the victims, survivors, and rescue crews. An eternal ;-D to all of you.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:35 pm

Never forget.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Remember exactly where I was when I heard it. Back in 5th grade. Had no idea what the WTC was at that point.

RIP to all those lost that day :,-(

Let us never forget...
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Was in 5th grade sitting in my English class when I heard the news. My mom was having a meeting somewhere in NY and she was getting off the ferry when she saw the plains hit the Towers :~(
Never forget.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby JohnnyUnitas » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:54 pm

The image I'll always remember is the Statue of Liberty with the huge clouds of dust (4 or 5 times the size of the statue) in the background. Even tough time starts healing the wounds, we should never forget those who were lost that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtYMYYarkSo
I don't cry much, but watching this video definately brought tears to my eyes. :,-(

We will never forget.
JohnnyUnitas
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:29 am

Meant to comment on this yesterday and then never visited the General Talk forum. Definitely a sad memory. Would like to extend kudos to former Giant George Martin for his recent fundraising for the rescue workers:

Ex-Giant Finishes 3,003-Mile Trek
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: June 22, 2008

SAN DIEGO (AP) — George Martin, a former Giants defensive lineman, went through 24 pairs of shoes and lost 40 pounds before finishing his cross-country walk Saturday, raising $2 million along the way for sick 9/11 rescue workers.

Martin ended his nine-month, 3,003-mile trek at Embarcadero Park, where he was met by police officers, firefighters and N.F.L. alumni.

“I feel like a million bucks,” Martin said. “Other than a blister that I have on my left foot, I’m in great shape.”

Martin, who was a co-captain on the Giants team that won the Super Bowl in January 1987, said he considered it a privilege to walk on behalf of the 9/11 first responders. He called them far more heroic than any professional athlete.

“What they did on that day, I could never do in a million years,” Martin said.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/sport ... ref=slogin
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:25 am

treat24 wrote:Sad day. Never will forget where I was or trying to get a hold of my buddy. He was on his way to work in the WTC that morning but not there yet... Of course I didn't find this out until later that night. :-°

I had a similar experience. As most know I grew up in NY, but I was in FL when it happened. My Dad woke me up after the 1st plane, so I unfortunately saw the 2nd plane live. I remember thinking that this isn't real. This has to be some sort of Steven Spielberg movie. 2 of the tallest buildings in the world, that I've been to the top of before, were gone before my eyes. 3000+ people gone. It was and still is surreal. My sister knows a couple who was working in the Towers at the time. They happened to be in Vegas on vacation. :-° My sister & I know a girl who worked right next door. She happened to be on her way to work at their other office in Queens that day. :-° One of my best friends lost her cousin that day. He was a NYC firefighter. :,-(

I've been to Ground Zero since. Undescribable feeling. Every time I see the skyline I still can't believe that it happened. Never Forget. I never will. It's literally impossible. I can't wait to put the Towers back in as my sig. :,-(

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to General Talk