Mendenhall valuation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mendenhall valuation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mendenhall valuation

Postby zoolander12 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:08 pm

Given Parker amazing game, what is your valuation of Mendenhall? Is he a Parker injury away from stardom? Is he a valuable bench player. Will he ever have decent value (as in worthy of starts depending on matchups) as long as Parker is healthy? How is he compared to waiver RBs that are at least splitting carries (i.e. Pierre Thomas, Ray Rice, Hightower), even though it's arguable that he is more talented than those other guys, even if he is not trusted with goal line carries.
zoolander12
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mendenhall valuation

Postby FatFoot » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:12 pm

IMO only valuable as a handcuff.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby vincentvega722 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:13 pm

I think he has value near the end of the season, maybe around the 14-17 weeks of the season. I just think Pittsburgh takes care of business in their division early and give Mendenhall some share of the running load. Right now though, he is not a threat to take carries away from Parker. I wouldn't even own him since their could be other value at running back elsewhere. He's only worth owning in leagues 14 teams and bigger or if you own Willie Parker and need him as a handcuff.
“Cause there's only one reason for doing anything that you set out to do. If you don't want to be the best, then there's no reason going out and trying to accomplish anything. ”
- Joe Montana
vincentvega722
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Munboy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:13 pm

Cuff him, that's it.
He's going to add very little value in kickoffs because the Steeler's ST is not very good. The way Parker was running Sunday and Moore taking 3rd downs, Mendy will be nothing but a breather for a few plays for Parker.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby spodog » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:40 pm

Munboy wrote:Cuff him, that's it.
He's going to add very little value in kickoffs because the Steeler's ST is not very good. The way Parker was running Sunday and Moore taking 3rd downs, Mendy will be nothing but a breather for a few plays for Parker.

Is your avatar a witch?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:45 pm

There are several good reasons to have Mendenhall on your bench.

already mentioned -

1. 'cuff for Parker owners
2. end of season likelihood that PIT gets him into the action when they have a 3 game lead in their DIV

also:

3. trade value. If you don't own Parker, having this guy on your bench makes good trade bait to Parker owner when FWP gets hurt

I'd much rather have someone like this occupying a bench spot than say a Justin Fargas or a Fred Taylor. Those guys will get more touches, but touches and 40 yards a game don't mean much when they are on your bench.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:53 am

FYI, according to coach Tomlin, Mendenhall was expected to get some carries in Week 2, but Willie Parker's solid performance changed the plans. In all likelihood, it was probably due to being a very close game and Tomlin did not want to risk a fumble.

Unless you are a Parker owner, I think you can safely drop Mendenhall in shallower (10-team) leagues and those with a small amount of bench spots, especially when bye weeks are here. However, if you are in a deep league with a lot of bench spots, I highly recommend keeping Mendy on your bench "just in case."
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Return to Football Talk