Dissention and Revolt - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Dissention and Revolt

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dissention and Revolt

Postby mateo150 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:18 pm

8 man league. The rules were clearly stated as "one free agent pickup per team per week with the team in last place having first pick."

First incident was a guy who didn't draft a defense or a kicker because he wanted to pick them up in free agency before week 1. I let him slide on the def, we worked something out with him and his week one opponent about the kicker. He claims I told him during the draft (we had at the bar) that we were allowed FA pickups before the season started. I didn't, and the rules make no sense with pre-season FA pickups since there's no last place or first place. But whatever, that issue was taken care of and everyone was happy.

Now another guy, the Brady & Coleston owner, claims that he should get 2 picks because he place Brady on IR. I asked him where in the world he got that rule, and he said "Its NOT the world according to you, give me Eli or we'll take this to a league vote on IR and waivers". Anyway, he's generally being childish and irate IMO. I forwarded everyone the email rules again, etc...

What do you do when people clearly haven't read the rules and constantly want exceptions to be put up to a league vote? I mean geez, I want a league vote that whenever my QB completes a pass its 100 pts!
QB - McNabb, Rivers, Cutler
RB - A. Peterson, Lynch, Forte, Ryan Grant, S. Young, C. Taylor
WR - Fitz, Chambers, Galloway, Burleson
TE - Shockey, Heath Miller
Tennessee D, Jacksonville D
Vinitieri
8 man league
mateo150 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dissention and Revolt

Postby Goody » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Well, first of all, your rules are terrible for accomodating injuries and bye week issues. Only being able to pick up one player a week is ridiculous IMO. Also, with your FA limitations, you should have an IR rule in place. There is a reason there is so much uproar in your league and it is because of your rules. Yes, you sent them out before the league started, but some times it takes seeing how the rules work before people understand and see the problems with them. I suggest putting your rules up to a league vote and see what everyone thinks. This is not a dicatorship and everyone should have a say in the rules. Good luck with that mess...
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mateo150 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:56 pm

So how do you keep an 8 man league from turning into a whoever sits by the computer wins league? There's a ton of players out there. I think the rules are great, keeps the losers who sit by their computer all day and night from winning and turns it into a thinking and planning league.
Vinitieri
8 man league
mateo150 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Goody » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:42 pm

mateo150 wrote:So how do you keep an 8 man league from turning into a whoever sits by the computer wins league? There's a ton of players out there. I think the rules are great, keeps the losers who sit by their computer all day and night from winning and turns it into a thinking and planning league.

Use the waiver system. Everybody has a shot at each player depending on their waiver priority. Once all the players clear waivers (usually wed. or thur.), free agency is opened. By then, most of the better players are taken and the ones remaining are up for grabs. This allows each team a shot at the cream of the crop though. The waiver system also adds another strategy to the game, you should look into using it! ;-D
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Script-Ohio » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:16 pm

Goody wrote:
mateo150 wrote:So how do you keep an 8 man league from turning into a whoever sits by the computer wins league? There's a ton of players out there. I think the rules are great, keeps the losers who sit by their computer all day and night from winning and turns it into a thinking and planning league.

Use the waiver system. Everybody has a shot at each player depending on their waiver priority. Once all the players clear waivers (usually wed. or thur.), free agency is opened. By then, most of the better players are taken and the ones remaining are up for grabs. This allows each team a shot at the cream of the crop though. The waiver system also adds another strategy to the game, you should look into using it! ;-D

Also you could place a maximum number of transactions on the season of like 25-30 or even less if you want. That's enough to cover every possible injury situation, tinker a bit, and maybe play some defensive matchups here and there but not enough to pick up the hot guys every week and play rent-a-team. But I must say I agree that 1 a week sucks and injured players should not be held against the owner in your current situation.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mateo150 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:20 pm

Okay, the limit is not a bad idea. I put it up to a vote, if people really don't like it, I'll throw the 25 transaction limit out there. But jeez, an 8 man league with with 19 roster slots leaves a lot of talent out there. Also, for the interest of time, we only drafted 16 players, so we all have open roster slots. I want to avoid a Oklahoma land grab situation and keep the league fair with paradoy. Also, on ESPN, the waiver system doesn't work I believe, it still lets people pick whoever they want whenever they want.

Also, I think everyone else is fine with the one pickup per week except the 2 guys.
Vinitieri
8 man league
mateo150 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby spodog » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Don't limit transactions. Tax them if you must, but don't cap them.

Never understood why Leagues limit the # of transactions. Just seems counter-productive to the whole point of this game to me.

If you want to put a $1 per transaction or $5 per transaction fee or whatever on them, great, but limiting them just screws people who are beset with BYE week or INJ problems and limits the different types of drafting strategies teams can employ.

Change that rule.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:58 pm

There are MUCH better ways to manage this issue.

Go read this post from 2006:
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=291692&p=1995778&hilit=Bidding#p1995778
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mateo150 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Thanks for the bidding system heads up. That's perfect, it's exactly what forecasting and football should be (with FF is IMO).
Vinitieri
8 man league
mateo150 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mothaudio » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:23 am

League vote my ass. I stress the rules / settings numerous times in the months before the season kicks off. One rule in our manifesto is that no changes to the league rules after the season starts - no exceptions. Personally, I hate move limits but I conceded to the wishes of a few owners and we agreed [presason] to have a 60 move limit and 8 per week.

Was there a stipulation that you must draft a KR? We don't have that rule and I didn't draft one or a IDP.
mothaudio
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner