Senior Skip Day... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Senior Skip Day...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Senior Skip Day...

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:44 pm

Ugh, we never had cut days back in high school (bloody Catholic school) but we did have a few Senior holidays anyway. A skip day early in September is really quite early and your class should have given it more thought to push it forward to say, around Spring Break.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:38 pm

i dont even remember if i skipped for mine or not? i never minded going to school, i always enjoyed flirting with the ladies, clowning around in class and making plans for that weekends parties (or after school activities), but i did skip ocassionally. one time my teacher signed me out to go home because i forgot my "book" (a.k.a. my Magic: The Gathering cards that we'd play after school sometimes)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:11 pm

How about "Senior Day?" I lived in Florida when I graduated high school, and there was a yearly function where all the seniors at any of the participating schools could attend. It actually wasn't during daytime, as the event was that disneyworld would stay open all night, and we could basically run around the park doing whatever we wanted. We had to wear suits, unfortunately, and they tried to prevent any alcohol or drugs, but you know how kids can be devious and sneak things in.

It kinda sucked though.... a bus ride from the Keys to Orlando is a pretty long bus ride. Then to run around all night only to have to make the return bus ride right afterwards was kinda tiring after having been up the entire previous day.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:19 pm

What sucks is when you can still remember Senior Skip, but more often you have Senior Moments.

Things actually start getting a little hazy at 38. I know I have more gray hair than I thought I would. !+)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:24 pm

scottaa1 wrote:How about "Senior Day?" I lived in Florida when I graduated high school, and there was a yearly function where all the seniors at any of the participating schools could attend. It actually wasn't during daytime, as the event was that disneyworld would stay open all night, and we could basically run around the park doing whatever we wanted. We had to wear suits, unfortunately, and they tried to prevent any alcohol or drugs, but you know how kids can be devious and sneak things in.

It kinda sucked though.... a bus ride from the Keys to Orlando is a pretty long bus ride. Then to run around all night only to have to make the return bus ride right afterwards was kinda tiring after having been up the entire previous day.

Ah yes, Grad Nite. We have the same thing with Disneyland here in SoCal. I think Disneyland enforced a dress code but you didn't necessarily have to go in suits. Back then, we had a Baccalaureate mass before heading onto Disneyland but I opted to change from my 3-piece suit and into a polo shirt and black jeans instead, as well as a change of shoes. It was dark out there and the folks at the gates didn't mind for the dress code after all. I felt sorry for my friends who came out with their suits and dresses, but really, they just weren't that practical.

I remember how there was one side of the park where you could smell pot and actually see the smoke as it hit whatever lighting there was around. I'd say it came from the Frontierland party that had a DJ from the local rap/hip-hop station (Power 106) that had the bud.

Another thing is, that seniors could invite a limited number of undergrads to join in on Grad Nite. I had gone there the year prior as a Junior but found myself lost from my friends and I spent the remaining 6 hours just going on rides by myself all the while looking for friends. That sucked.

Both years we had a regular school bus when we should've had a chartered bus instead. That's the minus of going to a Catholic school that isn't quite as wealthy as others, but oh well. It's only a 30 minute bus ride to and from, so it was no biggie. Now, for those folks coming from NorCal, well, that's a different story.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:15 pm

My school organized our skip day, treated us all to a day at the local amusement park. Good times. ;-D
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby m16a » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm not a senior, so I don't know if we have a senior day.. But I do know that the seniors get off a week or so earlier than we normal people do...
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:35 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:How about "Senior Day?" I lived in Florida when I graduated high school, and there was a yearly function where all the seniors at any of the participating schools could attend. It actually wasn't during daytime, as the event was that disneyworld would stay open all night, and we could basically run around the park doing whatever we wanted. We had to wear suits, unfortunately, and they tried to prevent any alcohol or drugs, but you know how kids can be devious and sneak things in.

Ah yes, Grad Nite. We have the same thing with Disneyland here in SoCal. I think Disneyland enforced a dress code but you didn't necessarily have to go in suits. Back then, we had a Baccalaureate mass before heading onto Disneyland but I opted to change from my 3-piece suit and into a polo shirt and black jeans instead, as well as a change of shoes. It was dark out there and the folks at the gates didn't mind for the dress code after all. I felt sorry for my friends who came out with their suits and dresses, but really, they just weren't that practical.

I remember how there was one side of the park where you could smell pot and actually see the smoke as it hit whatever lighting there was around. I'd say it came from the Frontierland party that had a DJ from the local rap/hip-hop station (Power 106) that had the bud.

Another thing is, that seniors could invite a limited number of undergrads to join in on Grad Nite. I had gone there the year prior as a Junior but found myself lost from my friends and I spent the remaining 6 hours just going on rides by myself all the while looking for friends. That sucked.

Both years we had a regular school bus when we should've had a chartered bus instead. That's the minus of going to a Catholic school that isn't quite as wealthy as others, but oh well. It's only a 30 minute bus ride to and from, so it was no biggie. Now, for those folks coming from NorCal, well, that's a different story.

Even us Nor-Cal kids had our Grad Night at Disneyland. Man that was a blast. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:41 pm

m16a wrote:I'm not a senior, so I don't know if we have a senior day.. But I do know that the seniors get off a week or so earlier than we normal people do...

our 'skip day' isn't a school organized thing, we just do it. But ya we have grad night too, don't know what it all entails, but that's months away.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:49 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:

Yes, Grad Night, that was it. Your memory is gooder than mine. :-)

Disneyworld had, maybe still does, one of those skylifts that goes from one side of the park to the other, and people were getting on that and sparking up, in relative peace and quiet and with the nice ariel view.

It's 7-8 hours bus ride from Taveriner, FL to Orlando which really sucked. We didn't know we could change clothes, so it was sticky Florida weather in a dress shirt/tie and walking all night in dress shoes.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk