Senior Skip Day... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Senior Skip Day...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Senior Skip Day...

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:08 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:How about "Senior Day?" I lived in Florida when I graduated high school, and there was a yearly function where all the seniors at any of the participating schools could attend. It actually wasn't during daytime, as the event was that disneyworld would stay open all night, and we could basically run around the park doing whatever we wanted. We had to wear suits, unfortunately, and they tried to prevent any alcohol or drugs, but you know how kids can be devious and sneak things in.

It kinda sucked though.... a bus ride from the Keys to Orlando is a pretty long bus ride. Then to run around all night only to have to make the return bus ride right afterwards was kinda tiring after having been up the entire previous day.

Ah yes, Grad Nite. We have the same thing with Disneyland here in SoCal. I think Disneyland enforced a dress code but you didn't necessarily have to go in suits. Back then, we had a Baccalaureate mass before heading onto Disneyland but I opted to change from my 3-piece suit and into a polo shirt and black jeans instead, as well as a change of shoes. It was dark out there and the folks at the gates didn't mind for the dress code after all. I felt sorry for my friends who came out with their suits and dresses, but really, they just weren't that practical.

I remember how there was one side of the park where you could smell pot and actually see the smoke as it hit whatever lighting there was around. I'd say it came from the Frontierland party that had a DJ from the local rap/hip-hop station (Power 106) that had the bud.

Another thing is, that seniors could invite a limited number of undergrads to join in on Grad Nite. I had gone there the year prior as a Junior but found myself lost from my friends and I spent the remaining 6 hours just going on rides by myself all the while looking for friends. That sucked.

Both years we had a regular school bus when we should've had a chartered bus instead. That's the minus of going to a Catholic school that isn't quite as wealthy as others, but oh well. It's only a 30 minute bus ride to and from, so it was no biggie. Now, for those folks coming from NorCal, well, that's a different story.

Yes, Grad Night, that was it. Your memory is gooder than mine. :-)

Disneyworld had, maybe still does, one of those skylifts that goes from one side of the park to the other, and people were getting on that and sparking up, in relative peace and quiet and with the nice ariel view.

It's 7-8 hours bus ride from Taveriner, FL to Orlando which really sucked. We didn't know we could change clothes, so it was sticky Florida weather in a dress shirt/tie and walking all night in dress shoes.

We "smoked" in the Swiss Family Robinson tree house. :-° :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:48 pm

Metroid wrote:We "smoked" in the Swiss Family Robinson tree house. :-° :-b

Well technically Switzerlands on the same continent as Amsterdam, so I hope you at least got a C+ in geography :-b
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:59 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Metroid wrote:We "smoked" in the Swiss Family Robinson tree house. :-° :-b

Well technically Switzerlands on the same continent as Amsterdam, so I hope you at least got a C+ in geography :-b

I wish. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby quack quack » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:49 pm

I had it last year and we liked it so much....we did it again ;-D
It was funny cuz the teachers would plan their lesson plan around the days
quack quack
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:15 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Ah yes, Grad Nite. We have the same thing with Disneyland here in SoCal. I think Disneyland enforced a dress code but you didn't necessarily have to go in suits. Back then, we had a Baccalaureate mass before heading onto Disneyland but I opted to change from my 3-piece suit and into a polo shirt and black jeans instead, as well as a change of shoes. It was dark out there and the folks at the gates didn't mind for the dress code after all. I felt sorry for my friends who came out with their suits and dresses, but really, they just weren't that practical.

I remember how there was one side of the park where you could smell pot and actually see the smoke as it hit whatever lighting there was around. I'd say it came from the Frontierland party that had a DJ from the local rap/hip-hop station (Power 106) that had the bud.

Another thing is, that seniors could invite a limited number of undergrads to join in on Grad Nite. I had gone there the year prior as a Junior but found myself lost from my friends and I spent the remaining 6 hours just going on rides by myself all the while looking for friends. That sucked.

Both years we had a regular school bus when we should've had a chartered bus instead. That's the minus of going to a Catholic school that isn't quite as wealthy as others, but oh well. It's only a 30 minute bus ride to and from, so it was no biggie. Now, for those folks coming from NorCal, well, that's a different story.

Yes, Grad Night, that was it. Your memory is gooder than mine. :-)

Disneyworld had, maybe still does, one of those skylifts that goes from one side of the park to the other, and people were getting on that and sparking up, in relative peace and quiet and with the nice ariel view.

It's 7-8 hours bus ride from Taveriner, FL to Orlando which really sucked. We didn't know we could change clothes, so it was sticky Florida weather in a dress shirt/tie and walking all night in dress shoes.

You mean those cable cars? Man, the Disneyland here got rid of those about 8-9 years ago. Not that they were fascinating to ride on but for nostalgic purposes, they were fun. I liked how each time the car would approach the Matterhorn, you could touch the side of the mountain and grab a little chunk off of it. :-b

Has to be murder wearing dress attire in the hot, sticky weather. I had gone to Disney World a couple of times but had gone in the Spring. Hot, a bit sticky, just not oppressively humid though. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk