Rob Ryan comments on Raiders defence - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rob Ryan comments on Raiders defence

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rob Ryan comments on Raiders defence

Postby stomperrob » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:49 am

SQUARING OFF
Contrary to Kiffin's claim, Ryan says he alone is to blame
David White, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, September 12, 2008

(09-11) 20:07 PDT -- Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan may not call many blitzes, but he sure knows how to stand tall in the face of one.

Three days after his defense gave up 41 points in the season-opening loss to the Broncos, Ryan stood up and blasted back at the critics of his defensive philosophy, play-calling and players.

Ryan spoke with reporters Thursday, the day after coach Lane Kiffin distanced himself from the defense by saying he leaves those decisions to Ryan and owner Al Davis and that, as head coach, he can only control what he can control.

"There's a chain of command here in Oakland," Ryan said. "I put the game plan in. I run the defense. Put it on me, that's where it belongs.

"Understand, my job's to be the defensive coordinator and Lane's the head coach. He's got a million hats, I've only got one. Eventually the whole thing comes down to me being a better coach and doing a better job."

Ryan refuted Kiffin's notion that Ryan meets with Davis to map out plans during the season. Ryan said they do their meetings in the offseason, not between games.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 12SDDL.DTL

Coach against coach makes for just another day in Raiderland
Ray Ratto
Friday, September 12, 2008

(09-11) 20:08 PDT -- You'd like to think that Buddy Ryan has been on the phone with his son Rob, reminding him of the day Dad cold-cocked Kevin Gilbride when both men were coaches with the Houston Oilers 14 years ago.

Reminding Rob, that is, while asking, "So what is there about Lane Kiffin's jaw that doesn't need a little Ryan justice, son?"

It's a good point, too. The Raiders have shamed, degraded and humiliated themselves in so many other ways over the last five years that some coach-on-coach violence hardly moves the needle.

Wednesday, Kiffin essentially blamed Ryan and Al Davis for the shoddy defensive performance Monday night, the head coach divorcing himself from any responsibility for the 41 points, the lack of a blitz package and whatever else he could find.

Thursday, defensive coordinator Ryan called Kiffin a liar in as many ways as he could think of in 18 minutes.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 12SDE6.DTL
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rob Ryan comments on Raiders defence

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:51 am

This just in - Al Davis is a buffoon, and any team he owns/operates will be a disaster.

Film at 11.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jblank » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:53 am

There is no "C" in defense.
jblank
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:13 am

Raiders owner Al Davis is prepared to fire Lane Kiffin during the season, according to the San Jose Mercury News.
Kiffin's time as head coach will reportedly end by as soon as Monday, though a win against the Chiefs might buy him another week. Davis has reconsidered after wanting to fire Kiffin before, so nothing is for certain. He's only fired a coach in-season once previously; Davis canned Mike Shanahan four games into the 1989 season. Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, receivers coach James Lofton, and offensive coordinator Gregg Knapp would all be candidates to replace Kiffin. Sep. 14 - 9:59 am et
Source: San Jose Mercury News
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby gtabaplayr » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:22 am

[quote="jblank"]There is no "C" in defense.[/quote]

If you are British there is ;-D .
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BritSox » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:45 am

gtabaplayr wrote:
jblank wrote:There is no "C" in defense.

If you are British there is ;-D .

Or Australian. :-D
"I can't say that. I'd have to say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record is probably the biggest challenge."

Rodney Harrison, on whether losing Tom Brady to injury was the greatest challenge he has faced in football.
BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:44 pm

Wrong!!! The people who invented the laguage, the English, spell it with a "c" - in Canada either spelling is acceptable. ;-D
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:46 pm

stomperrob wrote:

Wrong!!! The people who invented the laguage, the English, spell it with a "c" - in Canada either spelling is acceptable. ;-D

I'm pretty sure jblank was referring to real countries, Stomper. :-D ;-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:56 pm

knapplc wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

I'm pretty sure jblank was referring to real countries, Stomper. :-D ;-)

:-b
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:05 pm

Coach Kiffin at end with Raiders?
By Steve Corkran
Staff writer
Article Launched: 09/13/2008 11:56:52 PM PDT

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — In a conversation about Raiders coach Lane Kiffin in mid-August, Raiders managing general partner Al Davis said, "He's not the guy I hired."

From the outset of training camp, Kiffin has fired back almost on a daily basis by reminding everyone that he lacks the autonomy to do the job he was hired to do.

The endgame is coming soon, according to several front office people who have witnessed the war of wills unfold between the 79-year-old Davis and 33-year-old Kiffin over the past nine months or so.

Those people, who spoke on condition of anonymity, say Davis is at wit's end and prepared to fire Kiffin before season's end, perhaps as soon as Monday, regardless of the outcome of

He has been contemplating a course of action for many weeks.

con't..

rest of article: http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_10460147
stomperrob

Next

Return to Football Talk