Uproar over Nazi ties to new Jets/Giants stadum - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Uproar over Nazi ties to new Jets/Giants stadum

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Uproar over Nazi ties to new Jets/Giants stadum

Postby Amazinz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Matthias wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Of course it has something to do with it. It is the PC culture that gives them leverage. The Giants and Jets have already canceled talks with Allianz due to the pressure.

No: it's the media feeding frenzy that gives him leverage. I may as well say it's the right-wing tempest-in-a-teapot let's-spend-weeks-talking-about-Jeremiah-Wright culture that gives them leverage. But it's not. It comes from a group strongly sensitive to anything remotely anti-semitic, and that's all.

Also, this discussion has nothing to do with football.

The media as it is today is a direct product of the PC culture. You're just focusing on a symptom rather than the problem. Our culture enables these fringe watch dog groups and give them an incredible amount of leverage to the point where they have a larger voice than the majority they supposedly represent.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:26 pm

Word. ^^^
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:30 pm

How long after a thread is moved does it still show in the original forum? It's still there...
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:37 pm

knapplc wrote:How long after a thread is moved does it still show in the original forum? It's still there...

You mean the "Shadow Thread?" They just stay until they fall off the page...or one of the mods remove them. I don't think there is a time period they stay up. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Of course it has something to do with it. It is the PC culture that gives them leverage. The Giants and Jets have already canceled talks with Allianz due to the pressure.

No: it's the media feeding frenzy that gives him leverage. I may as well say it's the right-wing tempest-in-a-teapot let's-spend-weeks-talking-about-Jeremiah-Wright culture that gives them leverage. But it's not. It comes from a group strongly sensitive to anything remotely anti-semitic, and that's all.

Also, this discussion has nothing to do with football.

The media as it is today is a direct product of the PC culture. You're just focusing on a symptom rather than the problem. Our culture enables these fringe watch dog groups and give them an incredible amount of leverage to the point where they have a larger voice than the majority they supposedly represent.

The media today is not a direct product of the PC culture; it's a product of an information age where everything is expected to be known immediately, and then something else is expected to be known one minute from now. So instead of focusing on substantive issues and dwelling on them, fringe issues get picked up as interesting filler. That also speaks to exactly what the average American wants to hear and wants to process. They don't want to hear about GDP; they don't want to hear about the currency markets; they don't want to hear about boring federal budgets. They want to hear spice involving celebrities, athletes, and Nazis, if they can get it.

To say that this traces back to the PC movement is beyond ridiculous.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Again, I believe you are focusing on a symptom. There is a sensationalistic aspect to the media but for every story they sensationalize there has to be a return or else they wouldn't do it. The reason that return exists (in this case) is because of our PC culture. People feel obligated to be outraged when it's likely that most don't even care. And I don't mean to make like of antisemitism but I think most people would agree that that is not what we are dealing with here.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:17 pm

To kind of go along with Amazinz' point, Matthias - you do, of course, recognize the fact that the PC movement has infected the mass media, right? I don't think anyone is going to claim they're immune from this. So while your contention that people want spicy, salon-style news is true, they also want the pablum of their little PC Nation fed to them as well. That sells papers too, just not to the extent that celebrity gossip does.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:25 pm

Amazinz wrote:Again, I believe you are focusing on a symptom. There is a sensationalistic aspect to the media but for every story they sensationalize there has to be a return or else they wouldn't do it. The reason that return exists (in this case) is because of our PC culture. People feel obligated to be outraged when it's likely that most don't even care. And I don't mean to make like of antisemitism but I think most people would agree that that is not what we are dealing with here.

Crocodile tears or manufactured outraged date back further than the PC movement. You may as well say that this is a result of Willie Horton or the Daisy ad.

I know conservatives just enjoy lumping all the problems they see into, "liberalism" or things like the PC movement, but as the saying goes, that dog just won't hunt.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:29 pm

iamgregg wrote:Funny how I never heard of an uproar over the Allianz Arena in Munich. You'd think there would be, if there was any real reason to.

I just hope the new stadium looks half as good as it.

I was about to bring this up. I'd like to say I've seen weirder than that (I probably have) but all I can say is the Allianz reminds me of Spaceship Earth at Epcot Center, but flattened out as a tub. There should be a Champions League final returning to Munich though, I'd say.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:30 pm

knapplc wrote:To kind of go along with Amazinz' point, Matthias - you do, of course, recognize the fact that the PC movement has infected the mass media, right? I don't think anyone is going to claim they're immune from this. So while your contention that people want spicy, salon-style news is true, they also want the pablum of their little PC Nation fed to them as well. That sells papers too, just not to the extent that celebrity gossip does.

I refute the basic assumption that this thing springs from the PC movement as an origin. People have been grandstanding and feigning mock outrage over things which they don't really believe for much longer than the past 20 years. And they do it on both sides of the aisle.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk