Anyone worried about Vikes DEF? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone worried about Vikes DEF?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone worried about Vikes DEF?

Postby fx495232 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:29 am

They were ranked top 3 nearly everywhere and were unimpressive to say the least. I reached a little for them and am now thinking of dumping them for Zona, who looked much nastier.
fx495232
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anyone worried about Vikes DEF?

Postby treat24 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:36 am

I would hold, their run game was a little unimpressive in the preseason as well, but you can't cut and run on such a high pick after 1 week. SJax owners aren't dumping him. The Vikes have a tough first 4 games... after that the schedule is much better. I'd wait it out a bit. Once they get madieu williams back that should help some.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:08 am

I wouldn't worry too much at this point. They have been a boom or bust D the past few years, posting quiet games followed by monster ones. As treat mentioned, getting Madieu Williams back should help, and I expect them to gel a little bit in the coming weeks and surge when the schedule eases up down the stretch. There is still plenty of talent on that side of the ball and they should be a formidable fantasy D throughout the season.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:30 am

fx495232 wrote:They were ranked top 3 nearly everywhere and were unimpressive to say the least. I reached a little for them and am now thinking of dumping them for Zona, who looked much nastier.

Did you even watch the game? Or are you now saying unimpressive just by glancing at stats?

If you had actually watched the game, the Minnesota D was suffocating. Green Bay got lucky on a couple of long plays, but for the most part the Minnesota D was a blanket. If you dump them now, you're a fool fool fool.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Matthias wrote:
fx495232 wrote:They were ranked top 3 nearly everywhere and were unimpressive to say the least. I reached a little for them and am now thinking of dumping them for Zona, who looked much nastier.

Did you even watch the game? Or are you now saying unimpressive just by glancing at stats?

If you had actually watched the game, the Minnesota D was suffocating. Green Bay got lucky on a couple of long plays, but for the most part the Minnesota D was a blanket. If you dump them now, you're a fool fool fool.

Harsh, but true. As they did last year, they let WRs run free but they completely plugged up the rushing game.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:25 pm

I think he means they were unimpressive fantasy wise as far as scoring points...Thats why people don't agree with reaching for the best defense on paper or the best D last year, I stole Chicago in most of my leagues because they went back to being underrated and they had a hell of a game last week fantasy wise and thats not even with Hester returning any TD's.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Thing is, a lot of their value came from them scoring TDs last year. I think they had 8 last year, including 3 in one game, right? Now, with Jared Allen they should get more sack points, but it's a very boom/bust D because if they don't score a defensive TD they don't force a lot of turnovers or sacks like a team like say, the Bears a few years ago did. You can definitely score in the air against them still.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby treat24 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:59 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:Thing is, a lot of their value came from them scoring TDs last year. I think they had 8 last year, including 3 in one game, right? Now, with Jared Allen they should get more sack points, but it's a very boom/bust D because if they don't score a defensive TD they don't force a lot of turnovers or sacks like a team like say, the Bears a few years ago did. You can definitely score in the air against them still.

Yeah but even last year they were tied for 11th in points per game allowed (19.4). They are a bend, don't break D even against the pass. Just based on PPG allowed they are a starting D... add the sacks and tds and they jump higher. The Vikings are a ball hawking defense, that's why you probably should expect some tds... They have a fairly nice schedule after the next couple games as well. You don't drop them yet, too many people panic into silly things after week 1.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Maris09 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:33 pm

They faced a very good offense, on the road, in their home opener.

No way you take anything from that 1 game. If you want to add another Defense just in case or to play for the time being, fine....but you shouldn't thinking of dropping them at all.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:53 pm

treat24 wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:Thing is, a lot of their value came from them scoring TDs last year. I think they had 8 last year, including 3 in one game, right? Now, with Jared Allen they should get more sack points, but it's a very boom/bust D because if they don't score a defensive TD they don't force a lot of turnovers or sacks like a team like say, the Bears a few years ago did. You can definitely score in the air against them still.

Yeah but even last year they were tied for 11th in points per game allowed (19.4). They are a bend, don't break D even against the pass. Just based on PPG allowed they are a starting D... add the sacks and tds and they jump higher. The Vikings are a ball hawking defense, that's why you probably should expect some tds... They have a fairly nice schedule after the next couple games as well. You don't drop them yet, too many people panic into silly things after week 1.

Oh I'm not considering dropping them at all; I'm glad I have them.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk