Why is David Boston not producing??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why is David Boston not producing???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm

There are many important factors in determining why Boston is not producing the way many fantasy owners had hoped.

1. LT gets the ball so much
2. Schottenheimer either doesnt like him, or wants to use him only as a decoy
3. He was overrated, a very good reciever but he will never be a Randy Moss or Terrell Owens

With all these factors in mind, there is only one real reason for his ineptitude, Drew Brees
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby altproject » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:08 pm

Phestuss wrote:Why keep a player who is killing the moral of your team and fanbase in the lineup? What is THAT going to do for the franchise?

I agree that brees is regressing. And he's not the typical "franchise QB" like Vick or maybe David Carr where the team is going to put all their faith into him to make the team a winner. But he is SD's version of a franchise QB -- I don't think they'll give him much longer to fail... but I'm sure they'll give him to the end of the year.

You have to look at who's behind him -- no one. Don't get me wrong, I like Flutie a lot -- I wish he had a chance to be a consistent starter in the NFL. It's a shame that teams (and the media) don't give him more credit for his ability. But he's old and he's small and he's all those things that you don't build a team around. Brees on the other hand is young and strong and blah blah blah, and that's what I think front offices care about. Even more than winning this year -- it's winning for the next 5 or 10 years that they want. I don't see SD letting Flutie be that guy.
20 Team League | 11-3 | 5th Place
--------------------------------------------
Q: Kitna, Flutie
R: Henry, Portis, T. Jones, Rudi, Griffin, Burns
W: Chambers, Ward
T: Shockey
K: Elling
D: Bills
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ffgod » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:13 pm

Why?

1. Brees sucks.

2. Schottenheimer sucks.

See, simple.
ffgod
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Wesley Walker » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:48 pm

M_Zimm wrote:Boston stinks because Brees stinks. It is that simple.

And Brees stinks, in part, because the O-line 1) stinks and 2) is nearly all hurt.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:14 am

fantasy guest wrote:So would R.Moss stink if he had D.Brees at QB instead of Culpepper?
That's the problem with WRs. They can be hidden gems that never get the chance to flourish. Take H.Ward and P.Burress before Maddox came in. They sucked balls. E.Moulds before Bledose. Etc.

Ward was fine before Maddox got there. Plax was the one who emerged as a real stud last year with Maddox.

It's hard to be a good WR in the league when your QB is running for his life every play and is looking to dump the ball off to the RB. He does seem to be holding the ball too long then moving down his reads straight to the RB. He needs to pony up and throw the ball down the field. If Boston makes a few Randy Moss type plays, opposing teams will be less inclined to send a blitz every down.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Phestuss » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:02 am

altproject wrote:You have to look at who's behind him -- no one. Don't get me wrong, I like Flutie a lot -- I wish he had a chance to be a consistent starter in the NFL. It's a shame that teams (and the media) don't give him more credit for his ability. But he's old and he's small and he's all those things that you don't build a team around. Brees on the other hand is young and strong and blah blah blah, and that's what I think front offices care about. Even more than winning this year -- it's winning for the next 5 or 10 years that they want. I don't see SD letting Flutie be that guy.

I agree. There's NO WAY they can do anything with Flutie in the future. But with the way they're playing, they're almost guaranteed an early round pick next year. They'd do themselves a great big service by drafting ANOTHER QB. One they can look to push Brees for the starting position.

I wouldn't want to be in their [upper management] position this year. You would kill the team's trust in management and the fanbase if you throw in the towel. But you can't really do anything with Flutie aside from letting him limp the team into the finish.

...And hope for that decent 1st round pick.
"I like them french-fried potaters. um - hmm"
Phestuss
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Super Freak » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:19 am

i got 3 words for u: Marty loves LT (it's that simple)
Moss IS the best WR in the game...
-Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
AKA Super Freak
The Super Freak Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby foreverabearsfan » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:37 am

anyone ever watch boston play? he looks like he does not even give a $hit. at all. he has his contract and he really doesn't care. i seriously don't know why he doesn't just take up pro bodybuilding. seems to be the only thing he does care about. i don't know at what point in his career he went from caring to sucking but he definitely sucks now. i don't know why anyone would start him or even pick him up in fantasy ball.
foreverabearsfan Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby NFLknowitall » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:47 am

King is right. It starts with that Offensive line. They were not that talented to start with and now they have had a lot of injuries. It's hurting LT's game and it's killing S.D. passing. If Brees has time he can hit a target, he has proven that at Westlake High School in Austin (5A State Champs, my home), at Purdue and in San Deigo. This is his 3rd year, same as Vick, remember the trade? Anyways, the Chargers spent their entire draft on their secondary. They need O-linemen. Hell, they are using Garmon who was kicked off the Cowboys team two year ago. They must address that area with $$ and draft picks.

I don't see this problem fixing itself this year, so if you have Boston (I do too) or Brees, don't really expect a big change for the rest of this year. I also agree that Shotty is a good coach and can get a team to 8-8, but I don't know if he can get them to a Super Bowl. Just ask the Browns and Chiefs.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Super Freak » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:35 am

unfourtunatly i drafted him in the 4th round LOL what a waste
Moss IS the best WR in the game...
-Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
AKA Super Freak
The Super Freak Beginner
Head Coach