Colt McCoy
10%
Tim Tebow
50%

Total votes : 10

Re: heisman talk

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:08 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:http://www.ryanparkersongs.com/2008/12/tim-tebow-is-hero.html

:-b ;-D

:-b :-b

there are some hilarious ones on there. The one about Tennessee is awesome :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:21 pm

Knapp --

In my opinion, and obviously you can say it is biased, I think in 10 years people will compare Tebow to all of those guys you said he shouldn't be mentioned with. People may not believe it now, but I firmly believe in the future people will look back and watch what he did and realize they were watching something very special. His game may never translate to the pros like some of those guys, but for college, he will go down as one of the best college players.

With that said, does that mean he should win it this year? That's up to everyone looking at this years body of work and choosing the best player.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:26 pm

Great gravy cakes! No! Song = stupid!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:31 pm

Dee - I don't care if Tebow's game translates to the Pros. I'm one of those guys who sees college ball and pro ball completely separately. I think Tebow really, really deserved the Heisman last year, and he is not only a great college football player, but he's a really great guy. And this is from someone who doesn't give a hill of beans for Florida or the SEC. But this year, I don't think he's earned it.

Honestly, Tebow's stats aren't that great. They're rather pedestrian, even considering that he's played some pretty tough teams. 2008 Tebow is a surprising second to 2007 Tebow, and it's not even close.

I really, honestly think that Bradford or McCoy deserves it more. I waffle between the two.

I'd like to see Superman stay another year in college so we can get that full sample size on his career before we make a final judgment on him. Is he a great player? Absolutely. Is he worthy of being only the second dual-Heisman winner ever? I don't know... and I'm very much leaning toward no.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:34 pm

knapplc wrote:Dee - I don't care if Tebow's game translates to the Pros. I'm one of those guys who sees college ball and pro ball completely separately. I think Tebow really, really deserved the Heisman last year, and he is not only a great college football player, but he's a really great guy. And this is from someone who doesn't give a hill of beans for Florida or the SEC. But this year, I don't think he's earned it.

Honestly, Tebow's stats aren't that great. They're rather pedestrian, even considering that he's played some pretty tough teams. 2008 Tebow is a surprising second to 2007 Tebow, and it's not even close.

I really, honestly think that Bradford or McCoy deserves it more. I waffle between the two.

I'd like to see Superman stay another year in college so we can get that full sample size on his career before we make a final judgment on him. Is he a great player? Absolutely. Is he worthy of being only the second dual-Heisman winner ever? I don't know... and I'm very much leaning toward no.

I hear ya on the stats, trust me. I have said that a bunch of times that he doesn't have the stats as McCoy or Bradford. Its like I said early in the year, he is having a worse statistical year, but when you watch him play you see he is actually better this year than last.

We can agree on one thing though, we both want to see Superman stay another year in school :-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:51 pm

knapplc wrote:Great gravy cakes! No! Song = stupid!

I just figured based on the sig/av you're enough of a Florida fanatic that you'd LOVE that song ;-7

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 pm

knapplc wrote:Dee - I don't care if Tebow's game translates to the Pros. I'm one of those guys who sees college ball and pro ball completely separately. I think Tebow really, really deserved the Heisman last year, and he is not only a great college football player, but he's a really great guy. And this is from someone who doesn't give a hill of beans for Florida or the SEC. But this year, I don't think he's earned it.

He could have easily put up the same numbers as last year if Stoopsie were his coach. He's put up huge numbers against great opponents, and pedestrian numbers against total scrub opponents. Not hard to figure out, when they don't really need him this year, they protect him. They're not gonna let him run into a pile inside the 10 in a game against Hawaii where they're already up by 20 points with Hawaii having no chance of picking up a first down, much less getting back into the game. He STILL hasn't thrown an incomplete pass in the 4th quarter since the Ole Miss game, mainly because he barely ever even plays in the 4th quarter, as he's sitting on the sidelines watching while Bradford throws 35 yard bombs with a 30 point lead and 4 minutes left in the game (or even throwing a TD on 4th down with 3 minutes left in a 28 point game...true story).

That said, I still think Bradford deserves it this year. But let's not kid ourselves, Tebow's numbers aren't down because he's not playing as well, they're down because he plays on a team that actually has a defense this year and with a coaching staff that isn't going to risk the good of the team to try and get their player a heisman trophy.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:47 am

Bagel, you know as well as anyone why Stoops had his top unit in those games so late. Style points matter to pollsters, and Oklahoma needed every point of those five-straight 60-point games to make it to the MNC game. Without those, they're Texas.

I've watched Tebow, Bradford and McCoy play several times each this year. All three are worthy of the award.

What really sucks is, five years from now we'll be picking from a pack of Gino Torrettas, while this year we have to choose from three guys who all deserve the hardware.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:01 am

knapplc wrote:Bagel, you know as well as anyone why Stoops had his top unit in those games so late. Style points matter to pollsters, and Oklahoma needed every point of those five-straight 60-point games to make it to the MNC game. Without those, they're Texas.

True, though the 4th down play I was talking about was in week 2.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:57 am

deerayfan072 wrote:This is going to be close between Sam and Superman

http://www.stiffarmtrophy.com/

It updated and now It is very close between all three. Interestingly enough, Tebow is losing not because he isn't being voted number 1, but because he isn't getting enough 2nd place votes. Currently he has 53 first place votes, 19 second, and 28 third. Bradford has 32 first, 49 seconds, and 19 thirds. McCoy is split all across the board at 29 firsts, 34 seconds, and 37 thirds. Tebow may very well end up with the most first place votes and lose the trophy.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football