Processing Trades... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Processing Trades...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Processing Trades...

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:14 am

I've had a little dilemma come up lately, no issues from the league (at least not yet) but for me personally as the commish. Being in a yahoo league there's two options concerning trades, league votes and commish approval. With the first the trade takes a couple days to go through but with the latter the commish can accept/decline the trade and put it through immediately. I guess I've never really stopped to think about this but as the commish I'm wondering if there's anything wrong with processing trades immediately. It doesn't seem like it should be that much of a problem after I put 1 through yesterday but then the owner immediately set up another trade and wants it put through right now so he can get the players in for week 2. That's part of my dilemma but it really popped into my mind because of another situation.

The problem is that the guy I'm playing this week is involved in the first and second trade so technically by putting a trade through immediately or waiting I can determine who I'm playing against this week. Unfortunately I didn't really think about that with the first trade (which I put through yesterday the day it was accepted) but this 2nd one has me thinking. I guess I should probably stay consistent though and put it through now. I know I'm foolish for not thinking of this earlier but I need some advice.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Processing Trades...

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:27 am

Ok so I had to make a decision and basically I admitted I acted too quickly on the 1st trades and I'm changing things so I leave trades for whatever the waiting period on Yahoo is before trades are automatically processed.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:02 pm

IF the other owners have no veto rights, then there should be no waiting period. Trades should be processed as soon as they are accepted.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:30 am

joejlitz wrote:IF the other owners have no veto rights, then there should be no waiting period. Trades should be processed as soon as they are accepted.

Should there not be a period to let the owners protest? Also, that would create some inconsistency because it assumes I as the commish am able to respond to all league activity immediately. What if I'm say away for a day or 2?
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joejlitz » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:06 pm

If your league is set up to allow owners to veto trades, than owners have an official forum to vent and it will be 2-3 days prior to processing.

If the league gives owners no veto rights, than it doesn't matter whether they want to protest it or not. The only reason it would be reversed is if there was collusion or cheating. And you can always do that after you investigate owners' complaints.

You mentioned what happens if you are away from your CPU. Can't your website process the trades without your approval? CBS Sportsline can.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby spodog » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:48 pm

Don't give owners the right to protest trades. This is just asking for trouble.

Give them the right to protest situations that reek of collusion, they deserve this, and you should be investigating that anyway.

But don't mess with trades by allowing having these delays and all of the league voting crap.

Can you imagine if the AFC East was allowed to vote on whether the Packers were allowed to trade Brett Favre to the Jets in August? :-*
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:16 am

spodog wrote:Don't give owners the right to protest trades. This is just asking for trouble.

Give them the right to protest situations that reek of collusion, they deserve this, and you should be investigating that anyway.

But don't mess with trades by allowing having these delays and all of the league voting crap.

Can you imagine if the AFC East was allowed to vote on whether the Packers were allowed to trade Brett Favre to the Jets in August? :-*

I believe in commish vetoes only. In my leagues I set a 24 hour delay, just in case a deal really is screaming for a veto (rarely if ever). I set a short delay only because that way if I am away the deal will go through fast enough for most deals to be weekly relevant. If a deal gets an autoapprove and is later found to be collusion (either intentional or not) it will be overridden.

(Unintentional collusion are things like "trade me X and Ill trade him back to you after my bye week". I play with some newer people this year and those types of deals are more common. People dont think they are doing anything wrong
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:40 am

My main league I commish, and there is no waiting period, I process the trades when I see them come through and I don't see any problems...With that being said if there is a trade that seems like collusion I won't process it immediately and I already stated if there were blockbuster deals I would leave them up 24 hrs in case people have problems with it(but thats not much of a problem since we know everyone in the league)...If people protest after you process a trade you can have the players traded back if you needed to, but the whole thing is this set up is 'commish vetoes', so whoever is commish is in charge of what goes through and what doesn't...This might not work if you don't know everyone well or trust the commish but if its a league with guys you know thats the best way.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer