Garcia on the move? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Garcia on the move?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Garcia on the move?

Postby BritSox » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:38 am

profootballtalk.com wrote:The team where quarterback Jeff Garcia first made his name in the NFL had a chance to re-acquire his services this week.

But they passed.

John Czarnecki of FOXSports.com reports that the Buccaneers offered Garcia via trade to San Fran. We reported generally on Thursday that the Bucs are shopping Garcia.

Apologies if anyone's already posted this, but couldn't find it in top few pages of relevant fora.

If this is true, surely Minny have to get involved? NE might be an outside possibility too, i suppose.

What would either do for his fantasy value?
"I can't say that. I'd have to say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record is probably the biggest challenge."

Rodney Harrison, on whether losing Tom Brady to injury was the greatest challenge he has faced in football.
BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Garcia on the move?

Postby Noah_B » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:42 pm

If Garcia lands in San Fran his value could rise. San Fran has good offensive weapons but O'Sully is lacking in poise and experience. Garcia could step-in and take advantage of the Mad Martz offense.

He might also be very unhappy being back in San Fran. I give this idea one shrug. :-?
Noah_B Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby redstorm41 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:29 pm

If I'm a 49Ers fan, I would asking what is wrong with the San Francisco management? You have an opportunity to acquire a stable, pro-bowl quarterback, in a very weak division, and your quarterbacks have been either unimpressive or injured. It is beyond me on what direction do the 49Ers want to go in. Garcia would make a nice addition and give Mike Martz's offense some meat, but hey, why win when you can go into mediocrity and live on your glory days of the 80s and 90s. Seeing all of this, thank goodness I'm not a Niners fan.
redstorm41
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:53 pm

Actually I disagree and I am a 49ers fan. And no this is not because they won today or because JT looked much better than last week. But you have to look at this two ways. First, we have no idea of what TB wanted in return which is of major importance.

Second, I do not see big things in store this year for SF and would rather see what JT has now so when we draft next year, we know if we need a QB or not. As far as I am concerned, ASmith is done as a 49er and maybe even in the NFL. I agree it's not all his fault as it was a bad situation from the start, but he has shown no sign of improvement over the years. So that leaves us with JT or SHill. I do not see SHill as being a starting NFL QB, so JT is the only option right now.

But if Garcia were brought in, we wouldn't see JT nor would we know if a QB was needed or not next year. And I don't see Garcia playing much more beyond a season if he goes beyond one more year, so he would be nothing more than a band aid for a team that needs to evaluate the younger talent so they can continue to rebuild.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:03 pm

i for one feel bad for garcia. he has never been a flashy QB, but has always seemed to be able to get the job done (omitting his cleveland experience of course :-D ), and has done it in a pretty professional manner. he still never seems to get a fair shake with any of the teams he lands on. i for one would love to see him go somewere and succeed before the end of his career.

i think he would be a good fit in a martz offense, although he doesnt really have the arm strength to take full advantage of it...but i still see a big upgrade over JT. fantasy wise, you would be able to upgrade everyone on that side of the ball.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BritSox » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:43 am

smackthefirst wrote: First, we have no idea of what TB wanted in return which is of major importance.

A draft pick.
"I can't say that. I'd have to say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record is probably the biggest challenge."

Rodney Harrison, on whether losing Tom Brady to injury was the greatest challenge he has faced in football.
BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:39 pm

BritSox wrote:
smackthefirst wrote: First, we have no idea of what TB wanted in return which is of major importance.

A draft pick.

or an old QB. We love those
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:41 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
BritSox wrote:

A draft pick.

or an old QB. We love those

Gus Frerotte for Garcia makes too much sense. :-D
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:47 pm

I heard on the radio this morning that Garcia might be traded to the vikes but it was just a rumor and nothing else disclosed... I saw this thread and thought i'd post it. I don't wanna swirl a rumor mill, but our radio stations were talking about it... Garcia would be a nice upgrade. We'll give them Frerotte and a ham sandwich. (I had to up BB24's offer)... dee let us know when we have a deal :)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:49 pm

I'd like to see Garcia in purple but once again I feel Childress will be too stubborn to go away from Jackson. Jackson wasn't awful yesterday, and I'd like to see what he could do with a competent guy calling the plays, but Garcia would be a shot in the arm for a team that's built to win now. It would take him awhile to learn the system but his experience in the West Coast would give him a leg up. Overall I don't think the Vikes passing game goes anywhere until the playcalling improves. But when Childress is calling the plays I do not see that happening. I hate Brad Childress. :-X
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk