Appealing games in the NFL - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Appealing games in the NFL

Moderator: Football Moderators

Appealing games in the NFL

Postby davidmarver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:22 pm

Is there a rule in the NFL where a team can declare it's playing the rest of game under appeal? I remember the Padres doing this once on a Bobby Bonilla foul ball, deciding to play the rest of the game under the assumption that the league would review the play prior to when the Padres appealed.

I ask because in the first quarter of the Broncos/Chargers game today Chris Chambers could a pass from Rivers for eight or nine yards, and had the ball stripped from him after being down by contact. However, the refs ruled an interception. When the Chargers challenged, the refs said that the system was 'malfunctioning' and that the Chargers lost the challenge. It gave the Broncos the ball near the red-zone when it should have been third and one for the Chargers.

Does anyone know if the NFL has an appeal rule where the Chargers would play the rest of this game, but have the league review what they're appealing? Not that the Chargers should do that...I just want to know if the NFL has such a rule.
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Appealing games in the NFL

Postby MMBosstones86 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:40 pm

I don't think so, cuz the refs just blew the game with another call at the end of the game where cutler fumbled and SD recovered. SD should've won, but the refs blew it. I think thats just how it is
MMBosstones86
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Appealing games in the NFL

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:45 pm

There is an appeal/protest process but it has never been used. The NFL would force a replay of the game either in it's entirety or force a replay from the time of the call in question. Obviously, you can see why something like this is unlikely.

As an example for those that remember, back in 2003 the Giants and 49ers had a playoff game. SF was up by 1 and the Giants lined up for a FG on 4th down. Basically all h*ll broke loose and the holder for the Giants chucked a desperation pass into the endzone which fell incomplete. It was obvious that offsetting penalties should have occurred and one more play should have been given to the Giants by rule, but only a penalty on the Giants was called and the game ended. The next day even the officiating crew admitted 100% they had made an error because of the chaos and confusion. But even that game was not replayed, and it would've have only been one play and it was a playoff game.

So considering that occurred and was not replayed, I see little chance that the Chargers can or even bother to do anything.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk