NFL influencing outcomes? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL influencing outcomes?

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL influencing outcomes?

Postby davidmarver » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:53 pm

Did anyone witness the two blown calls in the Denver/Chargers game that cost the Chargers 15 points? Very clearly both calls were incorrect on the field, with one challenge stopped due to an equipment 'malfunction' and the other due to an errant whistle/fumble call. After spygate there were a lot of conspiracies about the NFL and, for the most part, I shrugged them off. But Jesus Christ, the Chargers/Broncos today was, without question, the most suspicious game that I have ever seen in any sport. Anyone think there's more to it than two absolutely absurd calls just happening to go in the same direction?
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NFL influencing outcomes?

Postby dupree » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:57 pm

I should think they would be a bit more subtle about it.... they were just bad calls...unless you are a chargers fan in which case they were just REALLY $$%$(Q#*$%@$%*@#$@$%@_*$#@#!@#& #@Q#@+#@&%*& Bad calls
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MotorCityKitties » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:03 pm

davidmarver wrote:Did anyone witness the two blown calls in the Denver/Chargers game that cost the Chargers 15 points? Very clearly both calls were incorrect on the field, with one challenge stopped due to an equipment 'malfunction' and the other due to an errant whistle/fumble call. After spygate there were a lot of conspiracies about the NFL and, for the most part, I shrugged them off. But Jesus Christ, the Chargers/Broncos today was, without question, the most suspicious game that I have ever seen in any sport. Anyone think there's more to it than two absolutely absurd calls just happening to go in the same direction?

It sucks that your Chargers lost, but I think it's ridiculous to assume that the NFL has it out for any team. It was a bad call on the fumble, but he blew the whistle and the play was dead. The ref blew his whistle on a bang-bang play, there's no way that in that moment he even had time to think that he could screw over the chargers.
MotorCityKitties
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bobbing_headz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:20 pm

But the call over the equipment malfunction was absolutely insane. I think in a situation like that the NFL should allow time for the equipment to be fixed. Or, if that's not the case, have some central body that deals with replays like the NHL does.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby woodson_28 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:30 pm

The NFL has been determining the outcome of games since 2001. ::cough:Patriots:cough::
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dupree » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:55 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:But the call over the equipment malfunction was absolutely insane. I think in a situation like that the NFL should allow time for the equipment to be fixed. Or, if that's not the case, have some central body that deals with replays like the NHL does.

They can't hold up play indefinitely while they try and fix the equipment....there is a time limit (still there right?) on the amount of time that can be spent reviewing the play before it defaults to the "on the field call" otherwise you start really bothering the flow of the game for both the fan and the players.

I agree that it is absurd that there was a problem with the equipment but $#@&$ happens and they did the only thing they could do...keep going...as mentioned on one of the post game shows...had they seen the replay it "should" have been ruled a Simultaneous catch and therefore UN-REVIEWABLE so the outcome would have been the same, TD Denver. Note I could care less about the game but it is an interesting "distraction" this week and I can't wait to see the "reactions" on Sports center this coming week. Go Steelers.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Felix the Cat » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:57 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:But the call over the equipment malfunction was absolutely insane. I think in a situation like that the NFL should allow time for the equipment to be fixed. Or, if that's not the case, have some central body that deals with replays like the NHL does.

From the explanation I heard the play was ruled a simultaneous catch, which is not reviewable.

That makes no sense to me, but a lot of the rules arcana doesn't.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:07 pm

It isn't a conspiracy, just that the NFL still has a ton of sh*tty rules that they need to fix.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby dgan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:08 pm

The technical issues one is bizarre, because I'm surprised they have no backup plan. Can't whoever they are talking to while they are under the hood walk next door to CBS and say 'can I take a quick look at that?' Then just tell the ref what the call should be. As far as it being simultaneous and unreviewable...why can't you review whether or not it was simultaneous? Weird. And if it is simultaneous, doesn't that always go to the offense in the spirit of 'tie goes to the runner'?

Anyway, I have a bigger beef with the other call. Why do refs continue to whistle plays dead in loose ball situations? I'm not saying to rule every play a fumble, but let it play out in case a team wants to challenge. You can easily allow the 'play' to continue and still rule it an incomplete pass. And don't give me the excuse about increased injuries and that nonsense because the players ignore the whistle and play it out anyway.

There was a lot of bad officiating today IMO - inconsistent Roughing the QB was top of the list. Then there was a play (I think during the Jets game) where they ruled a player down because his forward progress was stopped when really he was just spinning to shake off a tackler. Rough day for the men in stripes.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby hwiggen » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:34 pm

I really, really, really hate instant replay in NFL games. It can slow a team's momentum and it really has to suck for the fan in the stands who has to sit there waiting for five minutes to find out if he can cheer or boo. Even with replay they still get the calls wrong. Just scrap it and let the games go on. So a team wins on a blown call... well, it happens wether they use replay or not.
hwiggen
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk